Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Army Reserves and Working Full Time

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Destro 
#1 ·
Question for you guys regarding Army Reserves. I work in the security industry (surveillane/access control/etc...) and I meet with a lot of law enforcement and what not.

Today a manufacurer was at our facility and one of the guys mentioned he was in the army reserve, 18 or so years... so it got me thinking about the army reserve.

Can anybody tell me a bit more on what the responsibilities are... better yet... I work full time, M-F, 8am-5pm. If i had an interested, what is expected of me as far as training/giving my time/etc...

I realize I'd be required to go to training, how long is that, where it is? I know my employer is obligated to allow me to leave for it, but I'm sure they don't have to pay me... will the army reserves pay me during training so I can make ends meet? What about afterwards, say I go through training, what would I expect every week,month,year to happen? What do the army reserve guys do on a daily basis?

Any info from someone in the know is helpfull. I'm also 34 and not in tip top shape... should I just look at something else?

I want to do something to help out/volunteer just not sure what. I did the EMS thing and loved it, while in NJ, but I don't like how the EMS system is setup here on Long Island with the fire departments. So not looking to do that again. Aux. Police officer, i thought about but I don't see much info on that nor do I ever see them about. I want more then "traffic control." I want to feel as if i'm helping out and actually DOING something usefull to help...

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm 24 years in the National Guard and counting. It's similar to the Army reserve but you also serve the State as well and can be called to State active duty when there are emergencies (Hurr. Sandy, Ice storms, 9/11, etc...). Jobs (MOS) are the same and you will be required to go to boot camp. You will get paid while in BC at the active duty rate. You must meet the minimum height and weight requirements and will have to take the ASVAB test.

The Guard is a good way to go. Drills are 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a years (summer camp).

If your interested I can have a guard recruiter contact you. They will give you all the info you need.

#3 ·
Guard sounds better since no overseas deployment, it's here right?

I don't want a recruiter to talk to me, i'd rather here from someone IN the service what they think. How do you manage personal/work life and the national guard? What do you do at drills, etc... is it local or do i have to travel to get to the national guard training locations?

#6 ·
That's my concern, deploying overseas and leaving my family/career behind. I'd like to help but I'd like to stay on U.S. soil and stay as close to home as I can. Is the National Guard and National Guard Reserves the same thing or are they different programs/responsibilities?

#9 ·
Whats the difference between

Army Reserve
National Guard
National Guard Reserve

is national guard reserve same as army reserve? Is it called Army national Guard? I'm confused on what's what.

#11 ·
You will basically have the same schedule from basic to advanced training to deployment, if you go to the reserves or national guard. You said you don't want to leave your family and job. Reserves or guard you are going to go through basic and AIT expect that to be about a year of being gone.

#12 ·
I read that theres 10 weeks for BCT... I guess thats even in the reserves right?

Then 2 weeks in the summer and a weekend a month (the weekend a month is local, the 2 weeks is somewhere out of state).

2 weeks a year out of state and a weekend a month local is fine by me... the 10 weeks for BCT is something I have to think about. Obviously if the reserves must go through BCT for 10 weeks i have to give that some thought, as 10 weeks away from work is a lot. I know they can't penalize me, but that's missing a lot of work and i take pride in my normal job.

#14 ·
Hey... I gotta pay the bills like anybody else. As much as I'd like to give my time to my country, I also need to provide and put food on the table and living on LI doesn't afford me the ability to take a huge pay cut for 10 weeks while in training.

#15 ·
So you work full time, don't really want to leave your job and family, are in your mid 30s and "not in tip top shape", but "want to feel as if i'm helping out" even though you don't want to do EMS cause you don't like the way it's set up, and all this was because a guy mentioned to reserves to you...

Did I miss anything?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
You have some reasonable questions. Right out of the gate, if the time commitment for basic training is a concern to you then you might want to revisit the idea of entering service. Active Duty, Reserve and NG all require initial and then advanced training. AIT, some other school, needs of the service MOS or Rate training. It is not out of the question that you could be assigned a school or training that exceeds the weekend a month or 2 week annual training.
Local versus "out of state" is an unrealistic view as well. I know many NG members who have been ordered to trainings in Germany, Thailand, Italy and other "out of state" locations. Deployment is always a possibility as is activation and assignment to a Command anywhere the service decides they need you.
Your age and fitness level should also be a concern. We are still in a force reduction stature and the services are releasing members prior to completion of obligation, breaking contracts and pushing through many administrative separations. My point being, they are able to be very selective right now about who they accept. Educated, young, fit, unattached individuals are at a premium right now.
Try taking some practice ASVAB's on line or buy the books. It will help identify what MOS or jobs you potentially qualify for. You may not be pleased with the options available to you. On the other hand, if you ASVAB well, you may have a choice of some choice spots...no way I can know which. Not everybody is cut out to be an 11B, nor will everybody become a Cryptographer or a member of the Army Band.
Service is a great privilege and it comes with great responsibility. If it turns out to be a good option by all means pursue it. If not, there are other options that would permit you to serve your community and your country in other ways.
The employer piece is a whole other discussion. There are laws protecting service members AND employers, research them and understand them. Simply being in the NG or the a Reserves is not Carte Blanche to leaving work any time you want to get away for a week or 60.

Edit: spell check correct

Reactions: Destro
#18 ·
Thanks Huntington, that was the info I was looking for. I do want to do something but what you said makes sense. There are a lot of young guys out there who can run circles around me. I do have a lot of IT knowledge and technical knowledge which could be beneficial that they'd def. have an interest in, but in 5 years I'll be 39, in 10 years I'll be 44... getting up there in age while these other guys are 17/18/19.... so maybe I'll think of some other way to keep myself occupied while giving back a bit. Maybe coast guard reserves, a guy at my office did that, but im told they don't do a whole lot these days other then teach boating safety classes.

Destro... no reason you have to be a jerk-off... im sitting here looking for solid info, like what Huntington provided... does it make you happy to whip out some smart Butt comment like that rather then try and be helpful? Time to grow up pal (and if you are older then me, time to relax old man). I DON'T appreciate people who sit behind a computer and make smart Butt comments when someone is looking for assistance, not one bit.

#19 ·
Just an FYI, USCG has an Auxiliary, sounds like that is what you are describing. They do boating safety and similar type things. CG is a great gig, post 9/11 they have really been reinvented and are an active service in CONUS maritime missions as well as deploying. I know no fewer than 6 CG vets who have served in Iraq.
Don't throw in the towel but be realistic about your expectations. If you have a strong IT background you may want to look at some of the LI defense contracting firms who do R&D and manufacturing for mil contracts...less commitment, much better $$ and it gets your hand into supporting the larger mission.

#20 ·
I'm not looking for a career change, I love my job, if the right opportunity arose it's possible I'd change jobs but I like where I am right now. I like the people and I believe I can make a difference at my job.

What I want to do is find something else to do. I want to be a part of something bigger then me, something that makes a difference. Thats why I thought about the reserves, but i'm doing my research. It sounded like something I could do, if it was not for the 10 weeks away thing for basic training. i know it has to happen but I can't pickup and leave for 10 weeks.

As I said, the FF thing, wasn't really for me. I made some good friends there but I don't know... just didn't agree with how my dept ran things and that sort (you volly in the town you live in btw). EMS was my thing but the EMS part has issues, even my buddy who runs the EMS side now tells me it's still pretty bad.

But being an EMT, you basically see the same thing day after day. Theres only so many sick people I can take to the hospital I need something that changes. Thats why i like the career i'm in (surveillance/security for government and schools). I see something new EVERY DAY... but i want more. I have a thirst for learning more and doing more at all times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.