So you want to buy a HUMVEE - Page 2 - Car / Truck talk - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

So you want to buy a HUMVEE

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 DarkStorm

DarkStorm

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2722 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 10:10 AM

The T&C's say an SF-97 will be issued, which is what is used to create a title on gov surplus. I did read that they don't want any H1's used on-road because of some lawsuit years back. But wanting is different that legal. I know at least one person locally who has a gov surplus H1 registered and uses it on-road here on LI and I have seen at least one other.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 gopedxr7

gopedxr7

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4082 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 08 2015 - 10:20 AM

The T&C's say an SF-97 will be issued, which is what is used to create a title on gov surplus. I did read that they don't want any H1's used on-road because of some lawsuit years back. But wanting is different that legal. I know at least one person locally who has a gov surplus H1 registered and uses it on-road here on LI and I have seen at least one other.

would make an awesome DSI company vechicle ;)

i am sure they come in black

Edited by gopedxr7, April 08 2015 - 10:30 AM.

• O1SalsaX, li02liberty and 1895guy like this

#23 zx9allday

zx9allday

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 08 2015 - 10:53 AM

They come with an SF97 so you can title and register them. They appear to have all of the required DOT stuff (seatbelts, brake lights, etc.) an dsince they have over 7500 miles, no California emissions requirements. What prohibits these from being used on-road?

ohhh man that would look sweet in front of DSI, with a DSI wrap job

#24 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1476 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 11:01 AM

Back in the day a bunch of them wound up on the auction site for DRMS. Probably a clerical error. These are probably the lowest mile Humvees that will ever be auctioned. GovPlanet has them on their site almost every couple of weeks. There is a stipulation that they can NEVER be registered or used on the road. Im sure its a safety issue. No airbags. Funny how the PDs can get them but no other agencies. I know a local fire chief that tried to get one and it was a no go from the government. They could get 2 1/2 and 5 tons but no Humvees.
As far as the Arabic plates, Im sure these were being transferred to one of our "allies" and for some reason they never made it there. Its a safe bet that a big part of the military budget is for stuff that we give other countries. A number of years ago I saw a photo of hundreds of refurbed Humvees at a place down south all painted up in Iraqi camo waiting to be shipped to them. What a friggin waste of our money.

#25 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 3561 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 08 2015 - 11:35 AM

Back in the day a bunch of them wound up on the auction site for DRMS. Probably a clerical error. These are probably the lowest mile Humvees that will ever be auctioned. GovPlanet has them on their site almost every couple of weeks. There is a stipulation that they can NEVER be registered or used on the road. Im sure its a safety issue. No airbags. Funny how the PDs can get them but no other agencies. I know a local fire chief that tried to get one and it was a no go from the government. They could get 2 1/2 and 5 tons but no Humvees.
As far as the Arabic plates, Im sure these were being transferred to one of our "allies" and for some reason they never made it there. Its a safe bet that a big part of the military budget is for stuff that we give other countries. A number of years ago I saw a photo of hundreds of refurbed Humvees at a place down south all painted up in Iraqi camo waiting to be shipped to them. What a friggin waste of our money.

They have always in the past required to be crushed before sale. The sole exception was the Marines traded just over 1,000 off some years back and those were the only non-demil Humvees out there until DRMO began selling them late last year.

These don't sell cheap, so good luck in the auction. (And Hummers are so 2003 . . .)

#26 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• 1476 posts

Posted April 08 2015 - 03:50 PM

I think GovPlanet starts the bids at 10K.

#27 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• 3561 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 08 2015 - 04:02 PM

This would be a nice add on for that purchase:

http://www.govliquid...ctionId=9376288

#28 PaperPunch

PaperPunch

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationNassau Co. N.Y.

Posted July 03 2020 - 05:13 AM

I've been researching this and from what I can tell, the HMMWV can't be driven on the road because of no airbags, no crumple zones, no side impact protection, among other things. Some are on the road because they have special registration as historical vehicles or emergency responder status, which also restrict their use on the street.

#29 PaperPunch

PaperPunch

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 71 posts
  • LocationNassau Co. N.Y.

Posted July 03 2020 - 05:13 AM

Some states allow it, some dont. Kinda sucks.

#30 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25492 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted July 03 2020 - 05:26 AM

Some states allow it, some dont. Kinda sucks.

I am sure FUAC does not allow it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users