I'm looking for a new tent camping spot. - Page 2 - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

I'm looking for a new tent camping spot.

im looking for new tent camping spot

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:55 PM

Looks nice, but having wifi is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like that all of the sites have electrical/sewer hook ups.

I had water and electric and according to my wife the wifi was awful..

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Gehrman

Gehrman

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yeppers, Bear Mountain when you get there get a map and it will show you campsites. You might have to purchase a permit though, it's NYS. Used to camp there in the 80's when I was younger and

in better shape. If you go off campus there is a shelter in Black Mountain that many have used.

Based on Outsiders need to get off the island (can't blame him) and proximity to home seemed like the best option. Two hours max and a huge state park with many options. When I was younger we would hike in using a compass and topo maps and camp out when we found a spot we liked. Beautiful area year round.

#23 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:59 PM

Gilbert Lake State Park near Oneonta. Nice sites, bathrooms, beach, canoe/kayak/row boat rentals.

been there very nice indeed..rented a cabin (very rustic,,check it out on Trip Advisor)

#24 PWGUNNY

PWGUNNY

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay, LI and Summerville, SC

Posted March 02 2015 - 07:08 PM

http://www.lakeinwoodcampground.com/

In my younger days I did a lot of camping. This campground we stayed at 3 times, but we rented one of their theme cabins,the "shipwreck cabin". One year our friends stayed next to us in the log cabin. They have tent camping but I never had a look at the sites. We always rented the weekend after labor day because during the summer months the cabins only rent for 1 week minimum.

The campground has a fun pool, a lake for fishing with some decent bass in it.(no license required) They have on site restaurant and general store. It is in the heart of the Amish Country. A really unique campground, very family oriented.

I have also heard very good things about Otter Lake as mentioned before but never stayed there. Keene lake in the Poconos was a nice campground but avoid any sites too close to the road.

#25 John060404

John060404

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3561 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 07:36 PM

When you are willing and able to travel further into western NY, go to Watkins Glen State Park... beautiful gorges and trails... large campground area with multiple sections/loops with nice bathroom/shower buildings in each loop... right on the southern tip of Lake Seneca which is dotted with wineries... gorgeous! They also have pools (never used them) and a large picnic area. We usually go with friends and reserve multiple sites next to each other...

Also, Watkins Glen International raceway is right there... Have not been there, but if you are there in August, you can hear the race cars in the distance... The big advantage is you feel like your in the woods, but you are not in the boonies... The town is like a small Long Island town... Supermarket nearby, even a Burger King... Ice cream shops, etc...

We have only camped in tents, but they also have electric hookups for small campers, etc. It's about a 5+ hour drive from Suffolk however, but well worth it!

Edited by John060404, March 02 2015 - 07:41 PM.

#26 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 738 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted March 02 2015 - 08:07 PM

http://www.dec.ny.go...door/58856.html

Alder Lake

Introduction

Posted Image
Alder Lake is a great location if you are looking for a quiet waterbody with not a lot of other boating activity. This lake is perfect for using a kayak or canoe. Anglers report of catching some nice sized brook trout. Camping is also available.

Used to be a Boy Scout Camp, went there a lot way back when

I also camped at Alder Lake back in 1972. Still got a few items from Alder Lake.alder-shoe.jpg alder72.jpg
  • NRATC53 likes this

#27 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted March 02 2015 - 09:07 PM

Old Mill Stream Campground is near Dutch Wonderland (been there, nice for the under 8 y.o. kids)
http://www.oldmillst...ities/index.php

#28 bernn72

bernn72

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted March 03 2015 - 10:59 AM

I'm a big fan of Cedar Point in East Hampton, secluded right on Gardiner bay - great swimming! Off Long Island check out Lake Thagonick (sp?). We had an incredible time last summer.

Edited by bernn72, March 03 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#29 gripper

gripper

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1949 posts

Posted March 03 2015 - 11:27 AM

Driftstone on the deleware 2hrs away family oriented clean rest rooms quite hr means quite, plenty of hiking close by , cabelas 45 min away they have wifi and water elect on the sites so not sure if its rustic enough pool playground delware river is flowing by you can rent canoes kayak buy a tube jump in at Portland float down stream to campsite

#30 John060404

John060404

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3561 posts

Posted March 03 2015 - 12:45 PM

When you are willing and able to travel further into western NY, go to Watkins Glen State Park... beautiful gorges and trails... large campground area with multiple sections/loops with nice bathroom/shower buildings in each loop... right on the southern tip of Lake Seneca which is dotted with wineries... gorgeous! They also have pools (never used them) and a large picnic area. We usually go with friends and reserve multiple sites next to each other...

Also, Watkins Glen International raceway is right there... Have not been there, but if you are there in August, you can hear the race cars in the distance... The big advantage is you feel like your in the woods, but you are not in the boonies... The town is like a small Long Island town... Supermarket nearby, even a Burger King... Ice cream shops, etc...

We have only camped in tents, but they also have electric hookups for small campers, etc. It's about a 5+ hour drive from Suffolk however, but well worth it!

Here are some pics I took the last time I went there:

Attached Thumbnails

• WG_001.jpg
  • WG_002.jpg
  • WG_003.jpg
  • WG_004.jpg
  • WG_005.jpg
  • WG_006.jpg
  • WG_007.jpg
  • WG_008.jpg
  • WG_009.jpg
  • WG_010.jpg
  • WG_011.jpg
  • WG_012.jpg
  • WG_013.jpg
  • WG_014.jpg
  • WG_015.jpg
  • WG_016.jpg
  • WG_017.jpg
  • WG_018.jpg
  • WG_019.jpg
  • WG_020.jpg

• LongIsland Guy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: im, looking, for, new, tent, camping, spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users