I'm looking for a new tent camping spot. - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

I'm looking for a new tent camping spot.

im looking for new tent camping spot

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Outsider

Outsider

Banned

• Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:18 PM

I am booking a few dates to go tent camping with my wife and 2 & 4 year old kids for Spring/Summer/Fall. We did North/South lake last year and it was great. Too many city people and a little too big in general for me, but I'm pretty sure we will spend another weekend there this year. I have always preferred Adirondack campsites, but it is too long of a drive for my son. I like sites where you have a good amount of space between neighbors. I won't camp on Long Island, so that is out of the question. I also like to have a hike nearby that we can do as a family. Preferably one that ends at a waterfall or lake or something that may excite my daughter.

Are there any campsites that are paricularly unique? I used to stay at Lake Durant in the Airondacks and some sites are right on the lake with amazing views of Blue Mountain. Anything with a view or hike that a 4 years can do? Are there any campgrounds that you think we should avoid?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gehrman

Gehrman

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:26 PM

Check out Harriman State Park.
  • NRATC53 and RogueBurn like this

#3 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17343 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:26 PM

Ahh, the pleasures of camping.

Being one with nature. A burger cooked over an open campfire. A beer while you star gaze.

Washing your feet in a cool stream after a long hike.

• vmtcmt, malakaguy, Barnslayer and 1 other like this

#4 Flagg888

Flagg888

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 1123 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:34 PM

Was waiting for that.

• OH UNCLE PAUL, NRATC53, malakaguy and 2 others like this

#5 The Idiocracy

The Idiocracy

I'm a Michigander now.

• Donated Member
  • 5170 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:39 PM

Try devils tombstone 8 miles away from north south lake. There's water spigots and an outhouse. Went there last year with my family, wife and 4 year old. Had a nice time. Real quiet. Only 20 sites or so.
  • tom2009 likes this

#6 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• 3561 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:45 PM

NorthSouth Lake is great. I also like Mongaup Pond.

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:54 PM

http://www.dec.ny.go...door/58856.html

Alder Lake

Introduction

Posted Image
Alder Lake is a great location if you are looking for a quiet waterbody with not a lot of other boating activity. This lake is perfect for using a kayak or canoe. Anglers report of catching some nice sized brook trout. Camping is also available.

Used to be a Boy Scout Camp, went there a lot way back when

#8 tom2009

tom2009

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:54 PM

Try devils tombstone 8 miles away from north south lake. There's water spigots and an outhouse. Went there last year with my family, wife and 4 year old. Had a nice time. Real quiet. Only 20 sites or so.

the only thing is your are near the road but a great place.
If you want to stay on Long Island Cedar Point Park in East Hampton there used to be an old Light House I don't know if its still there.

#9 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:58 PM

Otter Lake.. we camped (tent) there last year...not noisy,activities for the kids ,clean restrooms and showers
http://otterlake.com...3 13.26.31.jpg]

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-08-13 13.26.31.jpg

#10 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 04:59 PM

If you want to stay on Long Island Cedar Point Park in East Hampton there used to be an old Light House I don't know if its still there.

Not a bad place, The Dive Club goes there for a Base during the "Death by Diving" weekend

#11 Outsider

Outsider

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ahh, the pleasures of camping.

Being one with nature. A burger cooked over an open campfire. A beer while you star gaze.

I prefer to cool my feet in a cold stream after a hike. I never wash my feet in a body of water.

I camped at indian island in riverhead and did not like it at all. The sites were way too close together and I was staring at a golf course. I'd rather drive upstate.

#12 Outsider

Outsider

Banned

• Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:24 PM

Otter Lake.. we camped (tent) there last year...not noisy,activities for the kids ,clean restrooms and showers
http://otterlake.com...3 13.26.31.jpg]

Looks nice, but having wifi is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like that all of the sites have electrical/sewer hook ups.

#13 Gehrman

Gehrman

Sharp Shooter!

• 406 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:27 PM

I camped at indian island in riverhead and did not like it at all. The sites were way too close together and I was staring at a golf course. I'd rather drive upstate.

Was that you watching me pee in the bush on the 4th?

#14 GMAN3006

GMAN3006

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 300 posts
  • LocationHICKVILLE

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:43 PM

Look up Little pond or Beaverkill

#15 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5508 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:45 PM

We have camped at Roscoe Campground in Roscoe. They allow "tenters". Its on the Beaverkill River so the water feature is there. The Roscoe Diner is 5 minutes away so you can grab a hot meal if you need.

My son and I are planning a "motorcycle camping trip" this summer. We'll probably end up there.

#16 CommonSense

CommonSense

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3779 posts
  • LocationSouth Shore Nassau

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:49 PM

Woodland Valley in Phonecia. Right on a stream. Good Hiking trails. If the river is high, you can go tubing in phoenicia

#17 Outsider

Outsider

Banned

• Banned
  • 902 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 05:55 PM

We have camped at Roscoe Campground in Roscoe. They allow "tenters". Its on the Beaverkill River so the water feature is there. The Roscoe Diner is 5 minutes away so you can grab a hot meal if you need.

My son and I are planning a "motorcycle camping trip" this summer. We'll probably end up there.

I'm going to Roscoe in April with my brothers. I went there last June for the first time. Pretty neat place. Not exactly family friendly since you need to **** in the woods.

Woodland Valley in Phonecia. Right on a stream. Good Hiking trails. If the river is high, you can go tubing in phoenicia

I've been here a number of times to use as a basecamp for hiking/backpacking. In my opinion it is not a great place to go camping for a weekend. The sites are too close together and right on top of the camp road.

#18 Waffen1974

Waffen1974

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 555 posts
  • LocationThe People's Republik of NY

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:32 PM

Kenneth Wilson Campground in Mt. Tremper (between Phoenica and Woodstock)
http://www.dec.ny.go...door/24472.html

• tom2009 likes this

#19 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:38 PM

Gilbert Lake State Park near Oneonta. Nice sites, bathrooms, beach, canoe/kayak/row boat rentals.

#20 RogueBurn

RogueBurn

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1103 posts

Posted March 02 2015 - 06:46 PM

Check out Harriman State Park.

Yeppers, Bear Mountain when you get there get a map and it will show you campsites. You might have to purchase a permit though, it's NYS. Used to camp there in the 80's when I was younger and

in better shape. If you go off campus there is a shelter in Black Mountain that many have used.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: im, looking, for, new, tent, camping, spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users