Maine - Page 2 - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Maine

maine

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 09:12 AM

3 hours from where??? It takes me 3 hours to get to upstate NY (heck I've spent 5 hours on the Deegan coming from upstate NY with an accident) and not deep with normal traffic. I looked far and wide in what is now yuppie Vermont but 6+ hours was the shortest trip to some nice property I've seen. Don't get me wrong, Vermont is beautiful, but I don't see how it is realistically close to LI, the commute was the biggest turnoff in my search for a realistically close-by second property.

Like it says in my post . " less than 3 hours from Bridgeport " Spending 5 hours on the Maj. Deagan is one reason I chose NOT to go through the nyc area to get to my property .I really enjoy my ride to Vt. and it is one of the reasons I chose the area.
  • spider and Adirondack state of mind like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Orion

Orion

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 371 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 09:37 AM

Spent a lot of time in Maine and really consider it a great vacation state. From the coast to the western mountains to the tundra-like far north varies a bunch in types of environment. What types of areas do you like? Getting deep into the 'sticks' can take some getting used to. Tourist areas are fine. I looked for places around Sebago Lake and liked it. Also looked across NH near Conway and liked it but there are a lot of tourists during the summer. There is something special about Woodstock, Vermont, nice town, there must be good people in the local government. I wound up buying in the Adirondacks near Lake George, plenty to do but NY sucks. Try looking about 25 minutes away from a resort area to get a better price.
  • Redcoat3340 likes this

#23 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5461 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 04 2015 - 09:41 AM

If I pick an area in NY it would most likely be Saranac Lake 10 minutes away from Lake Placid and 1/2 the price beautiful country and decent size towns with lots to do.

#24 loadingdockman

loadingdockman

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 4949 posts
  • LocationYou will never know........

Posted January 04 2015 - 09:47 AM

If I pick an area in NY it would most likely be Saranac Lake 10 minutes away from Lake Placid and 1/2 the price beautiful country and decent size towns with lots to do.

That IS a beautiful area, but that's a long haul......

#25 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1761 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 10:26 AM

Like others said distance is something to concider. The further it is the less likely you are to use it. Whatever money you save will be lost in gas and tolls.

If you get something close to a vacation/ski are you can rent it out when you don't use it. That also depends on what you plan on keeping there. There are also exchange programs were people will trade vacation homes for a week or so. I understand this isn't for everyone. But just something which might offset the cost a little.

#26 angelonm

angelonm

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1794 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 11:27 AM

Too cold for me.

Though upstate, Maine, Vermont are some of the most beautiful places on earth. No more cold for me....... and I getting away from the east coast. But that is just me.

#27 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 11:32 AM

When I narrowed down my search I considered EVERTHING involved in the experience . As a result I am never saying to my self " oh , this traffic sucks " or " oh , this journey is too long " or " oh , I should have bought in this town " Any choice you make will have compromises , but as long as you are comfortable in your mind with it that's the ticket.
  • spider, Tonto, LongIsland Guy and 1 other like this

#28 spider

spider

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4939 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 12:38 PM

SW NH is very affordable and convenient to I91.

Stick close to a college town. That keeps Tobacco Road syndrome low.

My pick is any spot between Bennington VT and Jaffrey NH. You really can't go wrong.

Maine is full of Coneheads. That's what we call a native born redneck who works seasonal jobs and piles trash in his yard but always finds enough money to buy gas for the quad.
  • warmnfuzzyar likes this

#29 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted January 04 2015 - 01:00 PM

My pick is any spot between Bennington VT and Jaffrey NH. You really can't go wrong.

I'm glad to hear as that backs up my research! We are going there for "vacation" next month... and by vacation, I mean my wife wants to check out the area and see just how cold "cold" really is in the winter.
  • spider likes this

#30 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 01:10 PM

I'm glad to hear as that backs up my research! We are going there for "vacation" next month... and by vacation, I mean my wife wants to check out the area and see just how cold "cold" really is in the winter.

I'd say 10 - 15 degrees . But the summers are sooooooooooo much nicer . not humid

#31 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted January 04 2015 - 01:28 PM

I'd say 10 - 15 degrees . But the summers are sooooooooooo much nicer . not humid

That probably isn't Celsius, is it?
  • spider likes this

#32 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 01:38 PM

DO I CALL A BIG MAC " LE GRAND ROYAL ? "

Attached Thumbnails

• Samuel_L._Jackson_Pulp_fiction_21.png

#33 Redcoat3340

Redcoat3340

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1742 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 02:54 PM

Bennington VT and Jaffrey NH...great area, but aren't you competing with folks from Boston in terms of second homes? I know all New England is fair game for Bostonians, and also, S. NH gets a lot of folks who commute to jobs in Boston metro area. The drive out of Boston is a killer.

Check out the evening/Friday night get-away on I 93 from Boston to Manchester and you'll find you're right at home if you live on the LIE. Boston get-away traffic is a killer.

My favorite place in NH is the Lakes Region; around Burlington in VT; and a pretty little college town in central NH, New London. Ashland, NH (ded center in the middle of the state) is also on my places to look if I were thinking about a second home up there.

Don't forget, Maine, NH and VT have 5 seasons a year: Winter, Summer, Fall, Spring and Mud Season (in Maine, also known as Black Fly season).

Good luck on ya, mate.
  • spider likes this

#34 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 03:30 PM

I will say this in one sentence so listen closely . If you want to get away from it all go to a place where there is no money , get a beat up car and have fun .

Edited by warmnfuzzyar, January 04 2015 - 03:31 PM.

• spider, Mycher and jim357 like this

#35 Kimber Carry

Kimber Carry

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1554 posts
  • LocationIn The S#*+!!

Posted January 04 2015 - 10:50 PM

Where in VT are you warm fuzzy?

#36 spider

spider

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4939 posts

Posted January 05 2015 - 10:22 AM

Bennington VT and Jaffrey NH...great area, but aren't you competing with folks from Boston in terms of second homes? I know all New England is fair game for Bostonians, and also, S. NH gets a lot of folks who commute to jobs in Boston metro area. The drive out of Boston is a killer.

Check out the evening/Friday night get-away on I 93 from Boston to Manchester and you'll find you're right at home if you live on the LIE. Boston get-away traffic is a killer.

My favorite place in NH is the Lakes Region; around Burlington in VT; and a pretty little college town in central NH, New London. Ashland, NH (ded center in the middle of the state) is also on my places to look if I were thinking about a second home up there.

Don't forget, Maine, NH and VT have 5 seasons a year: Winter, Summer, Fall, Spring and Mud Season (in Maine, also known as Black Fly season).

Good luck on ya, mate.

Temple mountain is in the way for a Boston commute. SWNH is the quiet corner. No one commutes to Boston from Keene. It's 90 miles but weather can make it impossible.

It can get down to -20 degrees for a week or two in January. Then we have a thaw and then it's on to spring. Most of the winter its 15 to 30 degrees.

And low humidity in the summer.

#37 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3334 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted January 05 2015 - 11:03 AM

Maine is beautiful.....to visit but not ,imo, a getaway retreat spot..at least not from LI.If mountains are your thing , upstate NY or western Mass. is affordable and relatively speaking "close by". I'm not a big PA. guy as the NE part is flooded with low income full timers(if you catch my drift) and the better parts get pricey for that reason.. good luck on your search

#38 spider

spider

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4939 posts

Posted January 05 2015 - 11:38 AM

If you want to show her what cold is go to Burlington VT for the third week in Jan. Wait for a day that's -30 degrees with a 40mph wind off the lake. Then try to find someplace warm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users