Maine - Chit-Chat - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Maine

maine

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5461 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 01 2015 - 02:55 PM

I am looking for a vacation home. I don't really want to spend much money under 300K and I don't need a crazy amount of land. I don't hunt or ski but I enjoy those type of areas and atmosphere. I like Vermont and New Hampshire and Lake Placid area in Upstate New York but they seem like the prices are getting high....sooooooo how about Maine anyone that has any experience there?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well when I watch North Woods Law, it always seems like there are a lot of knuckle heads that live in Maine.

#3 myexcursion

myexcursion

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 720 posts

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:05 PM

I'm up there every two or three months. Brother in Law moved there and it's great. He's up around Orchard beach area and it's beautiful pretty much all seasons. About 10 minutes from the Scarborough Cabelas and pretty much all the same stores you'd find around the island are only about 20 minutes away tops. Ride up takes about 4:30 - 5 hours ( give or take depending on stops etc... ). Kids love it too.

Edited by myexcursion, January 01 2015 - 03:05 PM.

• LongIsland Guy and shamuscull like this

#4 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 5461 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:05 PM

Well when I watch North Woods Law, it always seems like there are a lot of knuckle heads that live in Maine.

More than here???????
  • FredW56, nymet100, killian and 5 others like this

#5 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:11 PM

More than here???????

Well, ya got me there. LOL. Never mind.

#6 The Idiocracy

The Idiocracy

I'm a Michigander now.

• Donated Member
  • 5170 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:12 PM

You're only allowed to buy in Maine if you are a Subaru driving lesbian. It's in their constitution.

New Hampshire has some very reasonable property prices so long as you don't have to be in a city. Vermont is even cheaper if I remember correctly.

So jealous. I'm looking to buy a slice of land out west. Like Wyoming, Utah, something like that.

#7 Chief Brody

Chief Brody

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1009 posts
  • LocationPatchogue, NY

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:12 PM

Do they ever show the general, law-abiding public when you're watching "Cops"?

My parents have a second home in East Boothbay. I never want to come back home whenever I'm up there. This place isn't even up in the sticks, but it's still beautiful, quiet, and relaxing. I highly recommend spending time in Vacationland to anyone who'll listen.
  • grifhunter and Hannco like this

#8 shamuscull

shamuscull

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 5461 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:13 PM

I would love those areas also but I am stuck here for a while and I don't think I would use something out west as much as something drivable from here.
  • The Idiocracy likes this

#9 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12183 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:29 PM

I've vacationed in Bar Harbor and Acacia National Park in Maine for many years. Beautiful and unique Island (mountain bike trails and hiking inland, Caddilac Mountain, then you get the village with harbor and ocean around it, festivals, lobster the whole deal. It is a bit of a tourist trap in season but not Martha's Vineyard level)....point being Maine is big and has many different areas of different values (like Long Island actually). Bar Harbor takes me 9 hours and can be more touristy like Kennebunkport and other coastal summer villages. Inland North is like Canada and even further, South Maine is cheaper but not as nice. Really have to explore the state and find an area you like before committing the dough.

We ended up getting a place in Delaware County NY after looking at Vermont (just too far, now getting more progressive and very yuppiesh). Got dozens of acres, swimming pool, hot tub on large deck overlooking valley, multiple garages and structures, large stocked pond. Bear, turkey, deer, yotes, nearby skiiing and rivers (rafting, trout fishing). A decade ago it was more affordable but prices have shot up. In the pre-ban days it was awesome (2A friendly sheriff and judge, open carry), we still can plink there and be back on LI in 3 hours (more with traffic).

So my advice is to take a trip up the the area, and then narrow it down to a specific vicinity (be it Maine, upstate, or anywhere in New England). All the places you mentioned are not "cheap" unless you go bare bones and smaller property or really get into the boomdocks. Then google a real estate search for that "area" to determine what properties are going (In Delaware Co. it varies greatly. You can find a trailer home for 20K all the way up to decent houses on nice land into the upper 6 figures and restored houses and farm houses in the 7 figures)

Good luck.

pictures attached: view from the deck in Delaware County...

Attached Thumbnails

• delaware1.jpg
  • whitexmas3.jpg

Edited by Destro, January 01 2015 - 03:36 PM.

• Tonto, Trailblazer, LongIsland Guy and 3 others like this

#10 Trainpro

Trainpro

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:46 PM

Most of the "knuckle heads" in NY appear to be elected by the sheeple.
  • LongIsland Guy likes this

#11 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:53 PM

How is Delaware Cty. now that fracking is officially banned in the state? I heard that the value of Northeastern PA is increasing while, oh nevermind... Unless you have a different governor up there, we're still holding out for southern NH.

#12 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted January 01 2015 - 03:53 PM

I told my wife we should move to Maine when we retire; she won't do the constant cold. How much worse is it than here (weather-wise)?

#13 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12183 posts

Posted January 03 2015 - 10:29 PM

How is Delaware Cty. now that fracking is officially banned in the state? I heard that the value of Northeastern PA is increasing while, oh nevermind... Unless you have a different governor up there, we're still holding out for southern NH.

Why the eff would I want fracking on my or near my property on Delaware County?? Still have thick woods, stocked pond, spring water, bear, whitetail, gobbler, bobcat, yote, nearby skiing, rivers (fishing/rafting)...farms, quaint towns...full carry.... etc. etc. 3 hours away...
  • Gehrman likes this

#14 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted January 03 2015 - 10:55 PM

There is a vacation and retirement property/real estate show at the Huntington Hilton Jan 10 & 11. We are going to tighten our focus on a couple of areas in Tennessee. I have the catalog here somewhere, I know New England is a featured area, I'll look and see what they will have specific to Maine.

#15 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 8632 posts

Posted January 03 2015 - 10:55 PM

Just bought property in Vt. that I am currently building on . Not a whole lotta money up there and prices are pretty good . My trip there from Bridgeport is less than 3 hours . I would recommend buying an existing house.

Edited by warmnfuzzyar, January 03 2015 - 10:56 PM.

• Ramone likes this

#16 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12183 posts

Posted January 03 2015 - 11:24 PM

Just bought property in Vt. that I am currently building on . Not a whole lotta money up there and prices are pretty good . My trip there from Bridgeport is less than 3 hours . I would recommend buying an existing house.

3 hours from where??? It takes me 3 hours to get to upstate NY (heck I've spent 5 hours on the Deegan coming from upstate NY with an accident) and not deep with normal traffic. I looked far and wide in what is now yuppie Vermont but 6+ hours was the shortest trip to some nice property I've seen. Don't get me wrong, Vermont is beautiful, but I don't see how it is realistically close to LI, the commute was the biggest turnoff in my search for a realistically close-by second property.

Edited by Destro, January 03 2015 - 11:25 PM.

• LongIsland Guy likes this

#17 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11311 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted January 04 2015 - 01:06 AM

I still think the Western part of the Sullivan County and Delaware County are still very attractive for having a vacation home. I still see many people from the city and the island looking for a place close enough to home for a weekend get away.
The prices are cheaper in Delaware County. I also like the Northern parts of Wayne and Pike counties of Pennsylvania.

#18 Redcoat3340

Redcoat3340

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1742 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 02:22 AM

Ya gotta take it slow and spend a bunch of time in the areas you are interested in. Not only to get a sense of what they're like, but to sniff out a good real estate deal. We spent a full month and a half searching, every day, before we found the perfect spot here in WA state. And we had the help of my two boys who have been living out here for 13 years. It takes a lot of time and, because it's a huge investment in money and lifestyle, you don't really want to get it wrong.
  • spider, spitdog and SOUTHSHOREROB like this

#19 Schoen

Schoen

Patience

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1751 posts

Posted January 04 2015 - 07:32 AM

You're only allowed to buy in Maine if you are a Subaru driving lesbian. It's in their constitution.

New Hampshire has some very reasonable property prices so long as you don't have to be in a city. Vermont is even cheaper if I remember correctly.

So jealous. I'm looking to buy a slice of land out west. Like Wyoming, Utah, something like that.

Hey, I'm offended. I just bought a Subaru. ;)
  • pequa1, Karpteach and Adirondack state of mind like this

#20 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 25934 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted January 04 2015 - 07:39 AM

Too cold for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users