400 on LI shut down Sunrise Highway in Garner protest - Long Island Crimes - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

400 on LI shut down Sunrise Highway in Garner protest

400 on li shut down sunrise highway in garner protest

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 TDI PWR

TDI PWR

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 566 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:38 PM

http://www.newsday.c...otest-1.9689988

The comment section is golden

400 on LI shut down Sunrise Highway in Garner protest

December 7, 2014 by VÍCTOR MANUEL RAMOS, VALERIE BAUMAN AND ZACHARY R. DOWDY / [email protected],[email protected],[email protected]

Posted Image

About 400 Long Islanders demonstrated Sunday against what they called police brutality in a rally and die-in, in which some lay down on the pavement of busy Sunrise Highway in Amityville, stopping traffic in both directions on the major artery.

The gesture on the highway lasted for 4½ minutes, a symbolic reference to the 4.5 hours that unarmed black teenager Michael Brown's body was left on the ground after he was shot dead by white Police Officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri.

"We're going to die-in because so many brothers and sisters are dying at the hands of police. Michael Brown was shot six times by Officer Darren Wilson," said Jason Starr, director of the Nassau chapter of the New York Civil Liberties Union, who was at the demonstration.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Police watched from both sides of the highway but did not interfere.

"So what we're going to do is for four and a half minutes is die-in right here on Sunrise Highway and shut this . . . down," Starr said.

The group repeated 11 times, "I can't breathe!" for each of the times that phrase was repeated by Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died after an apparent chokehold was used during a confrontation with white NYPD officers this past July. They also chanted in Spanish: "¡No puedo respirar!"

Sergio Argueta, 36, of Long Beach, a community organizer, said the group aimed to highlight incidents of police excess on Long Island, too.

"We don't need to go to Ferguson," he said. "We don't need to go to Staten Island. We are Ferguson we are Staten Island. We can't breathe."

Some members of the group later joined others to pack Holy Trinity Church in Amityville for a prayer service.

"The question is: when the videotape is not enough, and when the marches are over...what are we going to do as a country so we can move forward," said Tracey Edwards, Long Island regional director for the NAACP, at the church event. As Long Islanders, we have an opportunity to mark systematic and sustainable changes in our own local communities."

Many in the crowd rose from their seats as local leaders and activists invoked the events of Ferguson and Staten Island.

Many referenced Garners' words: "I can't breathe"

Assemb. Philip Ramos (D-Brentwood) urged churchgoers to raise their hands and repeated the chant, "I have it in my hands." He uttered that phrase several times, followed by different refrains: "to bring about change," and "to improve our community."

Earlier, one protester, Wayne Whitfield, 52, of Hempstead, said he has been dealing with police profiling all of his life. When asked if the situation has improved since he was a teenager, he said, "Hell no. It's worse now because they just bother you for no reason."

Whitfield, who is African-American, said that a state or federal authority should investigate the officers involved in Garner's death because he thinks they would offer a more independent review.

"For me, being in a community of color, this is not a new occurrence," said Rashad Mitchell, a 28-year-old community organizer for the Long Island Progressive Coalition. "It's unfortunate that these occurrences are what it takes to galvanize people. But if anything, the last two months have been a tipping point . . . the time is now."

Joerise Tarry of Long Beach said when she was younger she remembers police spending more time in minority neighborhoods, and that they would get to know the people who lived there.

"I believe that they . . . [police] should be in communities and listen more," she said. "I'm here today because I would like to see a stop to police violence and gun violence."

< back to article

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Fastphil

Fastphil

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:44 PM

POPULAR

Instead of doing a " die in" maybe they should do a strong arm robbery and then resisting arrest. I really fail to comprehend the thinking of all these a$$holes
  • PeepSight, Mad Russian, Barnslayer and 12 others like this

#3 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:46 PM

POPULAR

Liars! They didn't die during their "die in".

Why didn't the town use Snow plows doing about 50 mph to clear the road?
That would have worked nicely.
  • LIRES1987, Ransom, Terono and 28 others like this

#4 DOCTORPC

DOCTORPC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1594 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:47 PM

and the police did not interfere so I guess laying down on a busy street is acceptable I am so glad no one ran them over
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian, bigbore44 and 1 other like this

#5 Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter

Mr. ¼ MOA

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 3104 posts
  • LocationOutside.

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:50 PM

POPULAR

God forbid if someone is in need of an
ambulance during a life threatening
situation.

Everyone should be arrested for
involuntary manslaughter then if
someone died over this stupidity.

SMH.

Peace,
GH-07
  • NRATC53, LIRES1987, Ransom and 21 others like this

#6 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:52 PM

POPULAR

God forbid if someone is in need of an
ambulance during a life threatening
situation.

Everyone should be arrested for
involuntary manslaughter then if
someone died over this stupidity.

SMH.

Peace,
GH-07

They should have been arrested for Disturbing the peace.
This BS that these racists are allowed to get away with is disgusting
  • NRATC53, Parashooter, Ransom and 14 others like this

#7 Torque77

Torque77

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSound Beach

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:52 PM

Ugh. Nice to let them "demonstrate" without a permit. Unreal.
  • ub3rgeek likes this

#8 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2404 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm " Die In " to know who the heck is coordinating all these group protesting..What is there a website all these people go on..
  • Objectivist likes this

#9 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 25753 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:56 PM

Fortunately for me I was not on the south shore today.

#10 TERRY P

TERRY P

Still working on a screen name

• Established Member
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationLand of the free, and the home of the brave..

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:56 PM

POPULAR

This crap has gotten way out of hand. Ignorant morons, creating more ignorant morons...
And the libtard media is largely to blame, continually adding fuel to the fire for the sake of headlines...
  • NRATC53, BigH, Mad Russian and 8 others like this

#11 frank57

frank57

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2155 posts
  • LocationMaryland Florida

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:57 PM

they all should have been arrested i do not understand why this is tolerated
  • deathsythe likes this

#12 surly

surly

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 271 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted December 07 2014 - 04:57 PM

If only my grandmother was alive. She was such a bad driver she would have hit everyone laying down and not even known she did it. Then they would have had a real Die in.
  • Mad Russian, ChiBurger, pezhead and 1 other like this

#13 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:00 PM

they all should have been arrested i do not understand why this is tolerated

Do they not have a right to protest their government? Should we have been arrested when we tore up the front lawn of the capitol building up in Albany?

I dont agree with their position but they have the right voice their (lousy misled) opinions just as we do.

Edited by MetalHead, December 07 2014 - 05:00 PM.

• Packman, Captain Will, Mad Russian and 4 others like this

#14 iceburg19

iceburg19

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2404 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:08 PM

POPULAR

I don't have a problem with protesting,,I don't like why they are protesting....Michael Brown was not a hero...

Edited by iceburg19, December 07 2014 - 05:08 PM.

• Parashooter, BigH, bigbore44 and 10 others like this

#15 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7130 posts
  • LocationIn my own little world.

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:12 PM

Do they not have a right to protest their government? Should we have been arrested when we tore up the front lawn of the capitol building up in Albany?

I dont agree with their position but they have the right voice their (lousy misled) opinions just as we do.

Was traffic blocked in Albany?

While I agree with you that everyone has a right to protest their Gov't, but I don't agree with the way the message was delivered.
  • bigbore44, ChiBurger, P Martin and 5 others like this

#16 frank57

frank57

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2155 posts
  • LocationMaryland Florida

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:14 PM

I agree with anyones right to protest but not at the cost of other peoples rights ,blocking a highway puts everyone at risk
  • bigbore44, ChiBurger, li02liberty and 5 others like this

#17 SULLYGUY

SULLYGUY

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1646 posts

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:16 PM

Of course they have the right to protest and personally I do not have an issue with them protesting. I do however have an issue with protestors being allowed to block a major roadway in both directions.

• artburg, krs8808, ChiBurger and 4 others like this

#18 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:19 PM

POPULAR

I think they all need the Rachel Corrie treatment
Posted Image
  • Terono, BigH, SURFER21 and 13 others like this

#19 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:19 PM

Fair enough…Good points.
  • frank57 and Joe Shmoe like this

#20 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted December 07 2014 - 05:20 PM

Rashad Mitchell, a 28-year-old community organizer for the Long Island Progressive Coalition. Wasn't Obama one of these back in his silver spoon days in Chicago. Probably learned everything from the Obama manuals on how to be a community agitator. What a pos.
  • NRATC53 and frank57 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 400, on, li, shut, down, sunrise, highway, in, garner, protest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users