Hither Hills - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Hither Hills

hither hills

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7243 posts

Posted October 06 2014 - 09:38 AM

We finally got to camp at Hither Hills and now understand why it's a prime campground on LI and almost always booked up. Very nice campsites just a stones throw from a wonderful ocean beach. Since the number of campsites is much smaller than Smith's Point (one of our other favorite campsites) there isn't the tremendous activity you experience at Smith's Point and it has a somewhat quieter environment.

While it's a campground on Long Island it was still a 2 hour plus drive from western Suffolk given you're driving through town traffic when you get out east. The plus is you're only a 15 minute drive from Montauk and the places to visit on the eastern most end of LI.

Other than the day we arrived (rained all that day) the other three days were perfect as far as the weather was concerned. Mid-seventies during the day and in the fifties at night which made for great sleeping weather. I don't think we could tolerance day time 90's and night time 70's during the summer months since you're limited as far as using a generator to power an A/C unit (9:00am ~ 11:00am and 5:00pm ~ 9:00pm) which means Hither Hills will be a Spring and Fall option for us.

Posted Image
  • The Architect, LongIsland Guy, RedStorm1911 and 2 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4438 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted October 06 2014 - 09:58 AM

Love Hither Hills. We're going to try to camp there next season.

We are looking for places where you can rent a camper. We overheard some campers on the beach talking about how they rented the camper for the week. The company delivered it, set it up and was picking it up at the end of their stay. It came with everything you need. The people just brought their own bedding, odds and ends and a BBQ grill. Other than that, they were set.

I have found a couple of places that rent 30FT campers for about $800 for the week. There are other fees that bring it out to about $1000. All in all, not a bad price for a week out east when you don't have to worry about the camper part of the week.

#3 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2014 - 09:58 AM

Pics or you never left your driveaway.
  • 2edgesword, CommackBoy, trapshooterbob and 3 others like this

#4 supercutter

supercutter

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 197 posts

Posted October 06 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hither Hills State Park camp grounds is the first camp sold out within the first hours of the New Year ( in the Country ). Not only that but is the only State Park that makes money for the State. Yet little knowen fact is, it has room to expand to more than twice it's size. Idea to turn Jones Beach Lot #1 into a RV camp ground was put forth with very little money but would make the State millions. Yet millions here been spent for bicycle paths with no return. Why are these things not done? ANYTHING to do with sportsmen, shooting, fishing, archery or Camping is looked down on. New York State is a Anti Sportsmen State!
  • The Architect and beachbumm like this

#5 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7243 posts

Posted October 06 2014 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image
  • spider likes this

#6 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2014 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

AWESOME!

#7 Dchilde

Dchilde

Runs With Scissors

• Established Member
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationNorth Fork

Posted October 06 2014 - 01:59 PM

Fwiw I've seen guys shooting skeet from the beach at Navy beach and off the bluffs on the Paumanok trail.

#8 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 06 2014 - 04:05 PM

Where do you get the concrete pad? Does it fold up or you tow it there? JK of course. Never been camping but if I was going to go, Hither Hills sounds like a good place to start!
  • 2edgesword likes this

#9 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3599 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted October 06 2014 - 04:19 PM

Love Hither Hills. We're going to try to camp there next season.

We are looking for places where you can rent a camper. We overheard some campers on the beach talking about how they rented the camper for the week. The company delivered it, set it up and was picking it up at the end of their stay. It came with everything you need. The people just brought their own bedding, odds and ends and a BBQ grill. Other than that, they were set.

I have found a couple of places that rent 30FT campers for about $800 for the week. There are other fees that bring it out to about $1000. All in all, not a bad price for a week out east when you don't have to worry about the camper part of the week.

I worked for the guy that owns a company that rents and sets them up for you, he is in the old Gruman site, Icy Hollow.
Is his name.

• The Architect, 2edgesword and trapshooterbob like this

#10 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7243 posts

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:08 PM

I worked for the guy that owns a company that rents and sets them up for you, he is in the old Gruman site, Icy Hollow.
Is his name.

Half the fun is setting up :).

Actually, after you've done it a few times and develop your own system, it's not bad, although my grandson says to me then last time he went camping with us "this is a lot of work".

#11 LiDad

LiDad

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 10011 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:09 PM

I've fished it but never camped there. But does look nice!

#12 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:40 PM

How far in advance do you need to reserve your spot? Can you bring your trucks on the beach there?

#13 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:41 PM

How far in advance do you need to reserve your spot? Can you bring your trucks on the beach there?

about a year

#14 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4438 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:44 PM

It used to be a lottery.

#15 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7243 posts

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:49 PM

The current reservation window is July 9th.

#16 whitefoot

whitefoot

Powderfinger

• Donated Member
  • 2478 posts
  • LocationGONE TO EARTH

Posted October 09 2014 - 02:05 PM

You need an East Hampton town beach sticker for your truck to go on the beach here, however I don't know if a temporary permit for beach access is issued with a camping spot for non residents.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hither, hills

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users