..storage (camper) - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

..storage (camper)

storage camper

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 09 2014 - 08:47 AM

I am looking for indoor storage. Doesn't have to be on LI. Anyone have any pointers?

This is for winter storage.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted September 09 2014 - 09:01 AM

I dont mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question.

I am looking into getting a travel trailer, if i store it at my house it would need to be under 25' and it would have to be one of the very few models that are less than 8 feet wide. What is everyone's opinion on using a storage yard at a self serve storage place? Anyone know the pricing? I'm in New Hyde Park and would like to keep the camper close by, otherwise its worthless to us.

#3 Ramone

Ramone

You Are the Resistance.

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3600 posts
  • LocationGrand Cay, the Bahamas

Posted September 09 2014 - 09:06 AM

try a boat yard- most that I've worked at had a camper tucked away in the shed over the winter

you want to try a bigger yard, where a camper can be tucked into lost space between larger boats. where are you located?
  • Aquabach likes this

#4 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted September 09 2014 - 10:52 AM

try a boat yard- most that I've worked at had a camper tucked away in the shed over the winter

you want to try a bigger yard, where a camper can be tucked into lost space between larger boats. where are you located?

Im in SUffolk. Location isnt any issue. I would like climate controlled.

#5 Hannco

Hannco

Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilation = invasion

• Club LIF Member
  • 8117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:01 AM

I am looking for indoor storage. Doesn't have to be on LI. Anyone have any pointers?

This is for winter storage.

Yes, its to early to think about this... :)
  • The Architect likes this

#6 Ramone

Ramone

You Are the Resistance.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3600 posts
  • LocationGrand Cay, the Bahamas

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:08 AM

climate controlled I don't know of any, but I'd try Brewers Greenport, Mat-a Mar or any of the larger yards on the northfork.

personally, I'd consider using Golden Rods ( I spec 3 foot of Golden Rod for every 8' of boat) to keep the interior pleasant.
  • The Architect likes this

#7 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• BBQ
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 17533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:11 AM

POPULAR

Im in SUffolk. Location isnt any issue. I would like climate controlled.

Location may be an issue if your towing it with that security dodge ram....

:hide
  • The Architect, Paté, artburg and 7 others like this

#8 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted September 09 2014 - 11:45 AM

Wow! Didn't get banned for that?. :taunt
  • The Architect, T.Webb, heartlessmcfly and 1 other like this

#9 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7300 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 12:22 PM

As far as a boat yard, I'd be concerned about storing it close to salt water. Boats are made to be in or near the water constantly and are built with materials to withstand salt water, travel trailers are not.

Beyond that, before I close up and cover my TT I wash, let dry and wax it, put on a cover that breathes and kept one window slightly open. Never any mold, mildew or other issues. When I uncover it in the Spring it looks like new.
  • The Architect and NorthForkSportsman like this

#10 VietVet

VietVet

• Established Member
  • 4453 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 12:52 PM

Just went out today to purchase the anti freeze to winterize mine.
For me the season is over. Getting ready for my Son's wedding in a few weeks.

Well almost over. Having the house painted (inside). Painter told me it will take 5 days to finish. I really don't want to be around when it's being done and since everything in my house is just about gone I need a place to stay during the day. Maybe even at night if the paint fumes are strong. Setting up my camper in the driveway. I'll be driveway camping for about a week.
  • The Architect, 2edgesword, Short Circuit and 2 others like this

#11 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7300 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 10:00 AM

Winterized the RV over the weekend, bypassed the hot water heater, drained water lines and heater, pumped RV antifreeze through the lines and poured a bit down each drain. This weekend I'll wash, wax and cover the trailer. All that's left is to moan and groan every time I see the covered trailer until next year and the start of the camping season in April :(.

#12 How474

How474

Retirement to Free America can't come soon enough!

• Banned
  • 1874 posts
  • LocationA lil' bit west of east

Posted October 21 2014 - 10:31 AM

Winterized the RV over the weekend, bypassed the hot water heater, drained water lines and heater, pumped RV antifreeze through the lines and poured a bit down each drain. This weekend I'll wash, wax and cover the trailer. All that's left is to moan and groan every time I see the covered trailer until next year and the start of the camping season in April :(.

Camp through the winter in Southern Free America.

#13 Hannco

Hannco

• Club LIF Member
  • 8117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 21 2014 - 10:51 AM

Dry camp?

#14 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7300 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 12:36 PM

Dry camp?

Typically "dry camping" really is dry in the sense that no water is used but you only use the water and power you bring with you. If you are using water in prolonged freezing temperatures the water lines and grey/black tanks have to be insulated with some way of preventing water from freezing in the lines and tank. The RV itself would have to be well insulated or you are going to use up a bunch of propane staying warm.

I unintentionally did some "winter" camping this Spring when the temperatures in the Poconos dropped into the 20's at night. The outside hose connection quickly froze and burst the water filter I had attached. Fortunately there was enough heat in the trailer to keep the water lines from freezing during the overnight hours and during the day the temperatures were back into the high 40's and low 50's. I did burn up a lot of propane over the two day period when the temperatures were below freezing at nigh.

#15 Hannco

Hannco

• Club LIF Member
  • 8117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 21 2014 - 12:49 PM

Typically "dry camping" really is dry in the sense that no water is used but you only use the water and power you bring with you. If you are using water in prolonged freezing temperatures the water lines and grey/black tanks have to be insulated with some way of preventing water from freezing in the lines and tank. The RV itself would have to be well insulated or you are going to use up a bunch of propane staying warm.

I unintentionally did some "winter" camping this Spring when the temperatures in the Poconos dropped into the 20's at night. The outside hose connection quickly froze and burst the water filter I had attached. Fortunately there was enough heat in the trailer to keep the water lines from freezing during the overnight hours and during the day the temperatures were back into the high 40's and low 50's. I did burn up a lot of propane over the two day period when the temperatures were below freezing at nigh.

What I was suggesting was to run the camper completely dry, and flush with this:

Posted Image

Costello's True Value Hardware sells it for $299/gal

#16 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 7300 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 03:47 PM

What I was suggesting was to run the camper completely dry, and flush with this:

Posted Image

Costello's True Value Hardware sells it for $299/gal

That really would be "dry" camping and way beyond what most of us senior citizens would consider enjoyable campling experience :).

I don't think Costello's is selling much of that anti-freeze at $299/gal.

#17 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted October 21 2014 - 03:50 PM

Anyone winterize a camper with an internal water filter?

#18 Hannco

Hannco

• Club LIF Member
  • 8117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 21 2014 - 04:00 PM

That really would be "dry" camping and way beyond what most of us senior citizens would consider enjoyable campling experience :).

I don't think Costello's is selling much of that anti-freeze at $2.99/gal.

$2.99 / gal

I guess I'm the old man.

#19 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted October 21 2014 - 04:01 PM

i would remove the filter and cap it off or just put a crappy old filter in its place for the winter. i wouldn't run the arctic ban through the filter.
  • artburg and Hannco like this

#20 Hannco

Hannco

• Club LIF Member
  • 8117 posts
  • LocationCentral Nassau

Posted October 21 2014 - 04:01 PM

Can you remove it and route around it with flex pipe?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: storage, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users