How to siphon gas from my 2005 ford lariot pickup - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

How to siphon gas from my 2005 ford lariot pickup

how to siphon gas from my 2005 ford lariot pickup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 shooter

shooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 801 posts
  • LocationFormaly Bellmore. Now Florida

Posted August 30 2014 - 03:53 PM

Want to use the gas to run my 10K gen. How do I circumnavigate the anti siphon system in the gas tank inexpensively?

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted August 30 2014 - 03:59 PM

I don't recommend doin that at all to be honest with you.
However, I beleive there's a in line fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail. In theory, you could crack the line loose on the filter, relieving fuel pressure, then disconnect it. After doing so, you may be able to connect a piece of rubber hose and turn on the ignition key. By doin this the fuel pump will pump the gas for you.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS, NOR AM I RESPONCIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE ANYTHING.

This was all in theory if you wanted to. I wouldn't bother. Just buy a gas can and go to a gas station.

#3 OH UNCLE PAUL

OH UNCLE PAUL

Banned

• Banned
  • 17343 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 04:20 PM

I don't recommend doin that at all to be honest with you.
However, I beleive there's a in line fuel filter on the driver's side frame rail. In theory, you could crack the line loose on the filter, relieving fuel pressure, then disconnect it. After doing so, you may be able to connect a piece of rubber hose and turn on the ignition key. By doin this the fuel pump will pump the gas for you.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS, NOR AM I RESPONCIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE ANYTHING.

This was all in theory if you wanted to. I wouldn't bother. Just buy a gas can and go to a gas station.

The pump will only run for a few seconds if the engine is not running. In order to keep the pump running you would have to jump the fuel pump relay. It also is not an anti siphon feature. It is a check ball to prevent fuel spillage in case of roll over, the fact that it stops you from siphoning is just a by product of the check ball installed in the fuel filler tube.

#4 fsfty

fsfty

Banned

• Banned
  • 1023 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 04:54 PM

All this to save $40 in gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • NorthForkSportsman likes this

#5 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9506 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted August 30 2014 - 04:58 PM

Park it unattended North Conduit and Springfield.
  • Mad Russian, Yaphank Kid, General.rr and 1 other like this

#6 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• 2916 posts
  • LocationEastern Long Island

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:04 PM

Want to use the gas to run my 10K gen. How do I circumnavigate the anti siphon system in the gas tank inexpensively?

It is your truck, right?

#7 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 11553 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:07 PM

Instead of cracking the line at the fuel filter, you "could" remove the return line to the tank, plug in a hose and START the engine... then the pump will run as long as you need.

Again - not responsible for any consequences. (NO SMOKING AROUND THIS!!!!)

#8 NorthForkSportsman

NorthForkSportsman

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: MOD - Buy/Sell
  • 9630 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Hawaii

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:10 PM

All this to save $40 in gas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. What is being saved?

#9 DellDude

DellDude

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 765 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:19 PM

The use of commas would increase the readability. He probably meant;

If the SHTF and I wanted to use the gas to run my 10K gen, how do I circumnavigate the anti siphon system in the gas tank inexpensively?

#10 fishbust

fishbust

Gun Guru

• 2916 posts
  • LocationEastern Long Island

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:40 PM

Exactly. What is being saved?

I think he means if the SHTF like during the hurricane when there was no gas to be had and he wanted to run his genny on what is left in his vehicle.

If you have a genny, you should have gas cans, full, with a healthy dose of Sta-bil, which will keep gas good for a couple years. What I do is tag the cans with the date and burn them in the vehicle after a year and replenish the cans. If you do not have 10 gallons a day to burn, no sense in having a genny. 70 gallons will last a week running a genny during the day or during the night. Too many people do have a genny but only 5 gallons of gas = pointless.

Edited by fishbust, August 30 2014 - 05:41 PM.

• NorthForkSportsman likes this

#11 gwbahren

gwbahren

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 801 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:46 PM

Be VERY careful jamming a siphon hose down ANY filler neck. You could damage evaporative emission equipment(EXPENSIVE) in the filler neck that controls fumes from escaping. This can/will result in a check engine light on, and, hence, NYS inspection failure.

#12 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16247 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:52 PM

Just curious, I haven't tried siphoning gas from a car in decades. Do most or all new cars have an antisiphon system? I mean, beyond the locking gas cover.

#13 edward

edward

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 116 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:52 PM

Sorry to go off topic here but does anyone know a junk/salvage shop that will be open tomorrow. I am looking for a Fuel Tank for my 1999 Chevy Blazer 4 Door LS V6 4.3L. Brought my Blazer to the mechanic today to replace a fuel pump. The gas tank itself is plastic but the ring where the fuel pump goes in the tank is made out of metal that is rusted and hence cannot be repaired. So I need a gas tank. Dealer is charging $600 for it. Looked online and I am having trouble finding one for my 4 door. All the ones online are for 2 doors which will not fit.

#14 NorthForkSportsman

NorthForkSportsman

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: MOD - Buy/Sell
  • 9630 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Hawaii

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:59 PM

I think he means if the SHTF like during the hurricane when there was no gas to be had and he wanted to run his genny on what is left in his vehicle.

If you have a genny, you should have gas cans, full, with a healthy dose of Sta-bil, which will keep gas good for a couple years. What I do is tag the cans with the date and burn them in the vehicle after a year and replenish the cans. If you do not have 10 gallons a day to burn, no sense in having a genny. 70 gallons will last a week running a genny during the day or during the night. Too many people do have a genny but only 5 gallons of gas = pointless.

Exactly. If Shtf I would want my truck fueled up and ready in case of evacuation.
  • Huntington Guy likes this

#15 Mopar14889

Mopar14889

Gun Guru

• 690 posts
  • LocationThe 7th circle of hell.

Posted August 30 2014 - 06:00 PM

You need a real tiny hose (diameter) to get past the check valve. It's in there to help prevent the gas going back up the filler neck. If it's accessible (I don't remember) you can loosen the hose clamp where the filler neck meets the tank and pull the rubber hose off. Sometimes the valve is in the filler neck other times it's right on the inlet of the tank itself. That'll make it a lot easier to get a hose in, and if the valve is on the tank it'll be right there.

#16 Mopar14889

Mopar14889

Gun Guru

• 690 posts
  • LocationThe 7th circle of hell.

Posted August 30 2014 - 06:02 PM

Instead of cracking the line at the fuel filter, you "could" remove the return line to the tank, plug in a hose and START the engine... then the pump will run as long as you need.

Again - not responsible for any consequences. (NO SMOKING AROUND THIS!!!!)

not every fuel system has a return line. Smoking won't ignite gas, if it I did I'd be dead a long time ago. Lighting a cigarette will ignite it though.

Edited by Mopar14889, August 30 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#17 nedbal

nedbal

win support for firearms - train a new shooter

• Club LIF Member
  • 1688 posts
  • LocationFreeport R&R is my closest range, great place

Posted August 30 2014 - 08:57 PM

If I had to get fuel out I would take the hose off the the hand bicycle air pump and tap onto the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Disconnecting fuel lines/filters is a PIA that sometimes requires a special gadget.

#18 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 24899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted August 30 2014 - 09:09 PM

10 penny nail in the bottom of the gas tank. Problem solved.

#19 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 10:01 PM

Home Depot 1/4" vinyl tube should do it is it just has the flapper and no air gap/cage in the tank. It will take a while longer. Yes that's how I scavenged both tanks on my F250 during Sandy.

#20 shooter

shooter

Gun Guru

• 801 posts
  • LocationFormaly Bellmore. Now Florida

Posted August 31 2014 - 04:04 PM

Home Depot 1/4" vinyl tube should do it is it just has the flapper and no air gap/cage in the tank. It will take a while longer. Yes that's how I scavenged both tanks on my F250 during Sandy.

Thanks.Its safer to store the gas in the pickup than in my attached garage. It's only for an emergency.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: how, to, siphon, gas, from, my, 2005, ford, lariot, pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users