Compliant AK-47's - Page 2 - AK - [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Compliant AK-47's

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 opey

opey

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 501 posts

Posted June 11 2011 - 10:08 PM

just remember, if u look to buy a cheap AK online like a wasr, figure in the shipping charge and FFL transfer fee.. a $450 gun online probably wont save u money over a $500 one from a local store

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted June 11 2011 - 11:40 PM

just remember, if u look to buy a cheap AK online like a wasr, figure in the shipping charge and FFL transfer fee.. a $450 gun online probably wont save u money over a $500 one from a local store

True, but the shipping and transfer fees count towards the more expensive models as well (which are just as available at very competitive prices from these outlets).

I got my WASR a few years ago from Henderson Defense for less than $399 shipped plus the transfer fee. The thing's a workhorse, not a single FTF or FTE.

Some of the online distributors offer great deals on higher end items as well. CDNN is very hard to beat. And they have some "exclusives", for example, the PTR-91 GI at $899 that I'm dying to score. The more problematic PTR-91C NY version goes for over $1300 locally, and I much prefer the GI. I know a lot of local GS owners that deal with these outlets for resale as well.

#23 mattyj513

mattyj513

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4897 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hey Robfather, does anyone carry Lancasters on the island? Thanks.

#24 The Robfather

The Robfather

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 7310 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hey Robfather, does anyone carry Lancasters on the island? Thanks.

i don't know of any the stock them regularly.  maybe one of the other shop watchers can chime in.

the times i have seen them is always at campsite on their used rifle side.

#25 aturi

aturi

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 55 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 03:39 PM

Last week Campsite had the Arsenal SGL21 in stock. IMO this is a great firearm.

#26 m1lk

m1lk

former ak builder

• Donated Member
  • 2574 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 04:08 PM

along with the above mentioned...

check out the saiga 12 forums wtb/wts subforum, and ask the seller if he is wiling to do ban-compliant mods for the rifle.  i found an ak74 there after getting tired of waiting for my lancaster, and the seller agreed to grind off the bayo lug and perma fix the brake if i bought it. and he did.  the rifle was well-used, didnt have the best finish, and looked like it went though hell (later on i found out it actually did...). but the thing is rock solid and the action is like butter, and is currently my go-to/feces-hits-the-air-distributor rifle. guess what im trying to say is dont be afraid of buying second-hand from other states, as long as you do your research, you could possibly end up with a sleeper

or...

if the seller doesnt want to do the compliance work, tell him to mail the pistol grip, handguards, and  buttstock (or alternatively, the bolt, carrier, and/or fcg, making the rifle unfirable) seperately to your house, ship the rifle bare, and when the rifle arrives take it to a gunsmith and have em do the compliance work and then pop in the rest of the stuff yourself after its been legalized. no pistol grip + threaded barrel = one allowed evil feature; but pg + threaded barrel = assault weapon and i guess thats why alot of 'smiths dont want to do permanent brake attatchments even though they can/able. (never tried this, someone correct if im wrong)

#27 opey

opey

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 501 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 05:03 PM

True, but the shipping and transfer fees count towards the more expensive models as well (which are just as available at very competitive prices from these outlets).

I got my WASR a few years ago from Henderson Defense for less than $399 shipped plus the transfer fee. The thing's a workhorse, not a single FTF or FTE.

Some of the online distributors offer great deals on higher end items as well. CDNN is very hard to beat. And they have some "exclusives", for example, the PTR-91 GI at $899 that I'm dying to score. The more problematic PTR-91C NY version goes for over $1300 locally, and I much prefer the GI. I know a lot of local GS owners that deal with these outlets for resale as well.

true, i didnt really mean on only cheap guns, it goes in general for all. in fact you can usually save more on more expensive guns online

#28 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 05:59 PM

along with the above mentioned...

or...

if the seller doesnt want to do the compliance work, tell him to mail the pistol grip, handguards, and  buttstock (or alternatively, the bolt, carrier, and/or fcg, making the rifle unfirable) seperately to your house, ship the rifle bare, and when the rifle arrives take it to a gunsmith and have em do the compliance work and then pop in the rest of the stuff yourself after its been legalized. no pistol grip + threaded barrel = one allowed evil feature; but pg + threaded barrel = assault weapon and i guess thats why alot of 'smiths dont want to do permanent brake attatchments even though they can/able. (never tried this, someone correct if im wrong)

Can you recommend a local gunsmith who does compliance work?

I've checked out the thread on welding/silver soldering the comp, and it did not provide a definitive answer.
I've been eying a few .308 battle rifles I'd like to purchase in auction and need to take the route you mentioned in order to get them. Any insight would be appreciated.

#29 m1lk

m1lk

former ak builder

• Donated Member
  • 2574 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 08:34 PM

last time i checked, t&t and  campsite were willing to do it. i heard country gunsmith would do it as well.

#30 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts

Posted June 14 2011 - 08:57 PM

last time i checked, t&t and  campsite were willing to do it. i heard country gunsmith would do it as well.

Ok thanks. I'll give Campsite a call.

Last time I was in T&T (several weeks ago) they wouldn't even transfer an AR or AK, so in light of their current legal troubles I doubt they are offering the soldering/welding of comps as a service. Bob Giunta has told several members he won't do it, though some say he has done it for them...(and I believe he has mainly done AR uppers in the past).  http://www.longislan...05309442.98942/

I know there's a place upstate that is known for doing compliance conversions on "mil style" firearms. I might have to ship to them, then have them ship it out to my FFL.

#31 m1lk

m1lk

former ak builder

• Donated Member
  • 2574 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 10:29 AM

Ok thanks. I'll give Campsite a call.

Last time I was in T&T (several weeks ago) they wouldn't even transfer an AR or AK, so in light of their current legal troubles I doubt they are offering the soldering/welding of comps as a service. Bob Giunta has told several members he won't do it, though some say he has done it for them...(and I believe he has mainly done AR uppers in the past).  http://www.longislan...05309442.98942/

I know there's a place upstate that is known for doing compliance conversions on "mil style" firearms. I might have to ship to them, then have them ship it out to my FFL.

bob guinta will do it, but leave the pistol grip at home. remove the carrier and bolt as well if you want to be safe.

he will do AR uppers, but bring the upper ONLY, leave the receiver at home.
an upper by itself is not considered a firearm.

#32 BKLYN_C

BKLYN_C

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1987 posts

Posted August 14 2011 - 10:40 AM

Lowes sells brazing kit for $50. Its not any more complicated that using any other hand tools.

#33 MolonLabe64

MolonLabe64

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 588 posts

Posted September 03 2011 - 04:30 PM

So I ordered a koraynovich ak 74 from Atlantic Firearms (it's beautiful I may add) but thanks to the detached muzzle, I wasn't allowed to finalize the transaction with the local gun store for obvious reasons. How can I get around this? Can I get this pinned or welded with Adco in Ohio or am I tied up with "the manufacturer may only modify"restriction?

#34 BKLYN_C

BKLYN_C

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1987 posts

Posted October 03 2011 - 09:00 PM

Ask Atlantic to ship it to Adco and Adco ship it to your FFL. Yes, it is completely legal but not sure if any local FFL will want to do this transfer after the Rice shenanigan

#35 m1lk

m1lk

former ak builder

• Donated Member
  • 2574 posts

Posted October 04 2011 - 10:43 PM

So I ordered a koraynovich ak 74 from Atlantic Firearms (it's beautiful I may add) but thanks to the detached muzzle, I wasn't allowed to finalize the transaction with the local gun store for obvious reasons. How can I get around this? Can I get this pinned or welded with Adco in Ohio or am I tied up with "the manufacturer may only modify"restriction?  

send pistol grip seperately to your house.
do transfer.
have brake pinned.
now legally put on pg

#36 thanif001

thanif001

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 84 posts

Posted March 31 2012 - 08:27 PM

I would really appreciate help in figuring out if a Vepr 223 is NY compliant. Thanks

#37 Guest_Ridiculiculous_*

Guest_Ridiculiculous_*
  • Guests

Posted November 22 2012 - 09:44 PM

I have a question about a used Norinco 56SAK-47 with a folding stock. It has the #'s 66 inside a triangle. I know about pre-ban magazines. Does the same hold true for a folding stock? How do I know if this is pre-ban?

#38 Guest_Ridiculiculous_*

Guest_Ridiculiculous_*
  • Guests

Posted November 22 2012 - 10:23 PM

I have a question about a used Norinco 56SAK-47 with a folding stock. It has the #'s 66 inside a triangle. I know about pre-ban magazines. Does the same hold true for a folding stock? How do I know if this is pre-ban?

One additional bit of info. It seems this was imported by Sile in NY. I get the feeling this is legal for NY, but any members input would be greatly appreciated.

#39 gz

gz

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 444 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 09:54 AM

Now that we had laws that either ban AK's regardless of caliber by name or by description ie: detachable mag and 1 evil feature I thought maybe it would be appropriate to post some pics with complaint pasrts to add to an existing rifle that isnt listed to remove the evilness.

Custom butt stock with no evil grip to build upon:

Attached Files

#40 mattyj513

mattyj513

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4897 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 10:43 AM

Only 1 thing needed to make it compliant. Carefully roll up, insert into buttstock. Can also be added into pistol grip if it has storage. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users