Scout camp advice - Page 3 - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Scout camp advice

scout camp advice

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 09 2014 - 11:44 AM

Keep in mind this is a ten year old going to a suburban Boy Scout camp... not an Eagle Scout hiking the Appalachian solo.

Unless trained (do they still hand out the "Totem 'Chip", or is that racist now?) he doesn't need a knife... He probably doesn't need paracord, and he certainly doesn't need a Zippo. And there is an excellent chance he will not be allowed to enter camp with Guinea fowl.

Mom - if the kid gets in a jam, I drive by the camp no less then three times daily.. I would be happy to drop off his foul.

Thank you for a good laugh. I needed it this morning :)

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#42 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 09 2014 - 12:02 PM

Lots of talk here about Yawgoog, don't forget about the "new" Onteora Scout Reservation owned by a Long Island Boy Scout Council. I just returned from Onteora this week and was amazed how the camp and program has vastly improved.

They have poured tons of money into the camp during the last two years. Not only vastly improved facilities, but tons of new programs for new Scouts, seasoned Scouts and now Venturers as well.

Some new programs this year included ATVs, pistol shooting and nightime Shooting Sports.

They offer over 80 Merit Badges including Horsemanship using real horses, Farm Mechanics with the camp's own goats and chickens. Of course they offer all of the traditional merit badges as well.

For Scouts that are not big on the outdoors, they have pretty intensive STEM program (Science, technology, engineering, math) which includes Robotics. Onteora also has one of the best Eagle Camps in the Northeast which took place this week.

For adults who need down time, there is a brand new leaders lounge with free coffee/pastries all day, as well as free hi-speed internet access via satellite.

I overheard the Camp Director saying that they had nearly 2000 paid campers (scouts & adults) this year. The highest attendance since the 70's. When I was there they had quite a few out of council troops, with scouts coming from as far away as Virginia.

Since Scouting is just about the only thing my son is really interested in (insert deep sigh here), I am willing to do anything to keep this interest going. This camp sound like a good option for him in the future. I especially like that they have shooting. He is starting the junior league in the fall, so this will nicely tie in. Where I come from, we did not have separate scout groups for boys and girls. It was just scouts. My mother was a scout, and so was I, and it was way, waaaaaay, less pampered, and sometimes even dangerous. There were no camps, we had to set up a camp wherever we went. Our motto was - omia mea mecum porto - all that is mine I carry with me. It made me a stronger person, and a club MacGyver fan, before I even knew who MacGyver was.
  • gcloss likes this

#43 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 01:37 PM

Lots of talk here about Yawgoog, don't forget about the "new" Onteora Scout Reservation owned by a Long Island Boy Scout Council. I just returned from Onteora this week and was amazed how the camp and program has vastly improved.

They have poured tons of money into the camp during the last two years. Not only vastly improved facilities, but tons of new programs for new Scouts, seasoned Scouts and now Venturers as well.

Some new programs this year included ATVs, pistol shooting and nightime Shooting Sports.

They offer over 80 Merit Badges including Horsemanship using real horses, Farm Mechanics with the camp's own goats and chickens. Of course they offer all of the traditional merit badges as well.

For Scouts that are not big on the outdoors, they have pretty intensive STEM program (Science, technology, engineering, math) which includes Robotics. Onteora also has one of the best Eagle Camps in the Northeast which took place this week.

For adults who need down time, there is a brand new leaders lounge with free coffee/pastries all day, as well as free hi-speed internet access via satellite.

I overheard the Camp Director saying that they had nearly 2000 paid campers (scouts & adults) this year. The highest attendance since the 70's. When I was there they had quite a few out of council troops, with scouts coming from as far away as Virginia.

Used to take the Troop to Onteora, we camped at On-On-Tio, which is now used as a Wilderness Survival Area. Onteora is a great camp, a TON of money and volunteer hours have been put into it to make it a top notch destination. We are lucky here on LI, we have Baiting Hollow, Schiff and Onteora (even though it's upstate) at our disposal. Hundreds of volunteers work tirelessly to provide the best experiences possible to our Youth
  • gcloss likes this

#44 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 01:40 PM

Since Scouting is just about the only thing my son is really interested in (insert deep sigh here), I am willing to do anything to keep this interest going. This camp sound like a good option for him in the future. I especially like that they have shooting. He is starting the junior league in the fall, so this will nicely tie in. Where I come from, we did not have separate scout groups for boys and girls. It was just scouts. My mother was a scout, and so was I, and it was way, waaaaaay, less pampered, and sometimes even dangerous. There were no camps, we had to set up a camp wherever we went. Our motto was - omia mea mecum porto - all that is mine I carry with me. It made me a stronger person, and a club MacGyver fan, before I even knew who MacGyver was.

There are a lot of us here- I have trained a good deal of the Suffolk County Council and Theodore Roosevelt Council folks in the Shooting Sports.

Scouting is one of the best things you can involve your kids in- Gives them a good set of life skills
  • Arisaka_99 and gcloss like this

#45 RogueBurn

RogueBurn

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1103 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:23 PM

This what my Mom used to use on me. Didn't affeck me nun.

http://www.tractorsu...oncentrate-8-oz

Just Kidding!

#46 Bang stick

Bang stick

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 591 posts
  • LocationWesthampton

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:33 PM

A ten year old boy probably doesn't need much beyond a small size flashlight and personal gear, bug juice. I went to baiting hollow as a kid and we had more fun hunting snakes, fishing, building fires, etc. It was a blast.

#47 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:35 PM

A quality pair of boots (that are already broken in). If it rains the first day, the boots will be wet the rest of the trip.

Also, dont forget to pack a good flashlight too

Gore-tex lined boots will keep you dry. I've never sprung a leak in a pair of Danners.

#48 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Established Member
  • 1516 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted August 10 2014 - 01:20 PM

There are a lot of us here- I have trained a good deal of the Suffolk County Council and Theodore Roosevelt Council folks in the Shooting Sports.

Scouting is one of the best things you can involve your kids in- Gives them a good set of life skills

Still use most of my scout skills on a daily basis.
  • NRATC53 and gcloss like this

#49 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38956 posts

Posted August 10 2014 - 01:32 PM

Automatic message - This topic has been moved from Chit-Chat to Camping / RV - Open Discussions

#50 Joe K

Joe K

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 466 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted October 19 2014 - 07:56 PM

Old thread but the info is relevent every summer...

Permrethrin is great.

Aerosol bug spray is absolutely not allowed in Scouting, not just bug spray, but anything aerosol. But its primary reason for it not being allowed is its flammability. A couple of young Scouts with the aforementioned Zippo and a can of bug spray. No Bueno. It happens almost once a year in Scouting somewhere in the country.

A "Totin Chit" is like a Scouts "Edged Tool License". It shows that he has been properly schooled on function and safety in the use of a hatchet, axe and knife. In theory, they are supposed to carry it with them anytime they are in possession of an edged tool. If they are acting unsafe with the tool, a senior scout, ( Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader) or adult leader will take a corner off the card. After they lose all four corners they are not allowed edged tools until they retrain. Remember, I said in theory...

Back to the zippo. There is also a "Fireman Chit". Again, In theory, they should not be carrying fire starting gear until they have been properly trained in its use and safety.

Definitely boots. Broken in in advance, blisters suck. No cotton socks if you can help it, wool is awesome.

I am currently a leader in what used to be my Troop when i was growing up. I attend summer camp each year with the boys as well as most of the campouts throughout the year. (we camp once per month, all 12 months). I do high adventure trips as well. Just got back from a 100 mile 12 day backpacking trip in New Mexico.

If anyone has questions about Scouts or camping, just drop me a message, I am always happy to help
  • CHERRY911 and Licence to Quilt like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scout, camp, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users