Scout camp advice - Page 2 - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Scout camp advice

scout camp advice

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 08 2014 - 06:56 PM

Congrats on your son moving up to staying at a Boy Scout camp. As a former Boy Scout I have stayed at Baiting Hollow a few times learned a lot and have great memories. Im sure he will have a great time.
As he gets older and if you don't mind some traveling I recommend Camp Yawgoog and Camp Barton.
Lots of luck to you and your little Boy Scout.

If they will take him next year age wise I would definitely send him there. I have just watched a video about Camp Yawgoog and it looks like so much fun. Kids being kids and having a blast. I wish I could go there :)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:06 PM

I spent my many weeks at Yawgoog shooting, sailing and canoeing...
There is no Girl Scout camp on that island, btw. I checked.
  • li02liberty likes this

#23 Dchilde

Dchilde

Runs With Scissors

• Established Member
  • 3395 posts
  • LocationNorth Fork

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:14 PM

Treat his beding with the same permetherin. treat shoes socks pants hats.
Mosquito net is sound advise I'm heading out to yawgoog the 17th with my son and the troop.

#24 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2779 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:40 PM

Teach him the use of a "bear bag". There might not be bears on LI, but there are a lot of other animals that can be attracted to the smell of snacks in his tent.

Also, give him a good knife, a zippo lighter, and some 550 paracord; you can do just about anything with those three items.
  • Barnslayer likes this

#25 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:46 PM

Teach him the use of a "bear bag". There might not be bears on LI, but there are a lot of other animals that can be attracted to the smell of snacks in his tent.

Also, give him a good knife, a zippo lighter, and some 550 paracord; you can do just about anything with those three items.

Good advise! No snacks in the tent. Even if you don't meet up with a bear, a skunk can ruin your day.

#26 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 07:53 PM

Good advise! No snacks in the tent. Even if you don't meet up with a bear, a skunk can ruin your day.

and the chipmunks (mini-bears) and raccoons will get into everything. No snacks in tents
  • li02liberty and Arisaka_99 like this

#27 Yanke1624

Yanke1624

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2164 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of New York

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:45 PM

I remember as a boy scout going to Camp Yawgoog. There was a lot to do there...something for everyone. I wasn't a big fan of mess duty, but who is. Your son may want to blouse his boots or tuck his socks into his pants to help with ticks. Light colored clothes may make them stand out more too.

#28 Habsfan

Habsfan

Member of the secret Canadian Mafia

• Club LIF Member
  • 5781 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:53 PM

My son is going this week. Does he need boots or are sneakers enough?

#29 Yanke1624

Yanke1624

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2164 posts
  • LocationThe Empire of New York

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:57 PM

I always wore boots when doing activities like that

#30 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 2290 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 08:58 PM

My boy and I went to Alpine a few weeks ago. I gassed our clothes with permetherin, and used deet on exposed skin. Came through without a bite.

Edited by TheMongoose, August 08 2014 - 08:58 PM.

• Yanke1624 likes this

#31 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 09:22 PM

He is bringing his knife, but I do not think they will let him have a zippo lighter. He is still a Cub Scout/first year Webelo going to Cub Scout Resident Camp. If he goes to the camp Yawgoog next year as a Boy Scout, we will equip him better. He knows better than to have food in the tent, but he will be sharing the tent with other boys, so not much we can do about no food rule.

#32 sherm66

sherm66

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6119 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 12:35 AM

It's totally ridiculous that BSA hasn't brought a flock of chickens, and Guinea fowl to eat all the ticks. The tick population can be reduced by 90%.

We've had this convo before.

Total myth. On the off chance the chickens and fowl do eat a tick or two they're eating the adult ticks, not the nymphs that statistically cause the lion's share of tick borne diseases.

I live four miles as the crow flies from Baiting Hollow and currently have a flock of 17 chickens roaming my yard(had chickens since 2000). Between the current two cats and three dogs (and three passed on pooches and 40+ passed on chickens) I've yet to see a reduction in the amount of ticks they drag in to the house. All my dogs have tested positive at one point or another for Lyme's and anaplasmosis.

And Guinea Fowl happen to be some of the most annoying "domesticated" birds to own on the planet. They roam over 2-3 acres. They're loud as heck. And if one roams away from the flock they "scream" until it returns. Day, night? They don't care a whit. Bad for a camp full of sleeping kiddies. On the upside they are good eating.

#33 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2962 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 12:39 AM

We've had this convo before.

Total myth. On the off chance the chickens and fowl do eat a tick or two they're eating the adult ticks, not the nymphs that statistically cause the lion's share of tick borne diseases.

I live four miles as the crow flies from Baiting Hollow and currently have a flock of 17 chickens roaming my yard(had chickens since 2000). Between the current two cats and three dogs (and three passed on pooches and 40+ passed on chickens) I've yet to see a reduction in the amount of ticks they drag in to the house. All my dogs have tested positive at one point or another for Lyme's and anaplasmosis.

And Guinea Fowl happen to be some of the most annoying "domesticated" birds to own on the planet. They roam over 2-3 acres. They're loud as heck. And if one roams away from the flock they "scream" until it returns. Day, night? They don't care a whit. Bad for a camp full of sleeping kiddies. On the upside they are good eating.

It's very well documented across the internet, and I know someone personally who brought a flock of chickens just for that purpose. Also in Shiff, how much sleep do you think they get?? Most of them are up all night long doing rituals of boy scouts.

#34 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 2779 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:13 AM

A quality pair of boots (that are already broken in). If it rains the first day, the boots will be wet the rest of the trip.

Also, dont forget to pack a good flashlight too

#35 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2962 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 02:43 AM

Also, dont forget to pack a good flashlight too

Lanterns are much superior.

#36 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator

• 2779 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 03:07 AM

Lanterns are much superior.

...not when you need a quick light to find a good pissing spot at 3am. Or forget your back to camp before dark.

#37 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 04:30 AM

It's very well documented across the internet,

Well, I dunno about you guys, but that validates it for me! :)

The problem is that this is Long Island, you go buy some chickens and the parents wont let their kids go to camp because they could get SARS.
Seriously, I am always amazed at how ridiculously overprotective parents on LI are, concerning the outdoors. When I was a kid, we practically only came inside to eat nine months out of the year, and sometimes not even then.

• Habsfan likes this

#38 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted August 09 2014 - 04:57 AM

Keep in mind this is a ten year old going to a suburban Boy Scout camp... not an Eagle Scout hiking the Appalachian solo.

Unless trained (do they still hand out the "Totem 'Chip", or is that racist now?) he doesn't need a knife... He probably doesn't need paracord, and he certainly doesn't need a Zippo. And there is an excellent chance he will not be allowed to enter camp with Guinea fowl.

Mom - if the kid gets in a jam, I drive by the camp no less then three times daily.. I would be happy to drop off his foul.

#39 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 05:33 AM

Everybody needs rope and should be able to use a knife, since I never heard of a "totem chip" in my years in BSA, I am guessing that's a Cub Scout thing. It was actually my Scotmaster that taught me to whittle: "AWAY from yer hand, Boy!" :)

#40 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 738 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted August 09 2014 - 08:34 AM

Congrats on your son moving up to staying at a Boy Scout camp. As a former Boy Scout I have stayed at Baiting Hollow a few times learned a lot and have great memories. Im sure he will have a great time.
As he gets older and if you don't mind some traveling I recommend Camp Yawgoog and Camp Barton.
Lots of luck to you and your little Boy Scout.

Lots of talk here about Yawgoog, don't forget about the "new" Onteora Scout Reservation owned by a Long Island Boy Scout Council. I just returned from Onteora this week and was amazed how the camp and program has vastly improved.

They have poured tons of money into the camp during the last two years. Not only vastly improved facilities, but tons of new programs for new Scouts, seasoned Scouts and now Venturers as well.

Some new programs this year included ATVs, pistol shooting and nightime Shooting Sports.

They offer over 80 Merit Badges including Horsemanship using real horses, Farm Mechanics with the camp's own goats and chickens. Of course they offer all of the traditional merit badges as well.

For Scouts that are not big on the outdoors, they have pretty intensive STEM program (Science, technology, engineering, math) which includes Robotics. Onteora also has one of the best Eagle Camps in the Northeast which took place this week.

For adults who need down time, there is a brand new leaders lounge with free coffee/pastries all day, as well as free hi-speed internet access via satellite.

I overheard the Camp Director saying that they had nearly 2000 paid campers (scouts & adults) this year. The highest attendance since the 70's. When I was there they had quite a few out of council troops, with scouts coming from as far away as Virginia.
  • NRATC53, Terono and Scrappy.NY like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scout, camp, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users