Scout camp advice - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Scout camp advice

scout camp advice

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:00 PM

My 10 year old Cub Scout son is going, for the first time, to Boy Scout Camp in Baiting Hollow. He will stay there for five days. They sleep in tents, go hiking, swimming, etc. I am sending him with Deep Woods bug repellant for hiking, and a regular mosquito repellant for sleeping (both deet based). With all these new mosquito and tick varieties popping up, do any of you know of any other repellant that works better? This is the same kid who slept one night in a tent last year and came home with a tick attached to his neck. Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:07 PM

Permetherin.

Spray his clothes and shoes with it. Spray his sleeping bag with it... spray everything he might wear. Do not send it with him though - it's an insecticide and intended only to be sprayed on clothing and material, not on skin. It drys scentless and will least through a few washings.

It's available at most hunting shops and Walmart... it's in a yellow box.
  • TheMongoose, li02liberty, CtOldCorps and 1 other like this

#3 Adirondack state of mind

Adirondack state of mind

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 721 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:11 PM

treat his clothes and shoes with Permethrin for the ticks, and use the Deep Woods for the mosquito's, and he should be safe. You can get the Permethrin at Dicks, sometimes Walmart, or order it online at Campmor or Amazon.com
  • NRATC53 likes this

#4 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6902 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:11 PM

Permetherin.

Spray his clothes and shoes with it. Spray his sleeping bag with it... spray everything he might wear. Do not send it with him though - it's an insecticide and intended only to be sprayed on clothing and material, not on skin. It drys scentless and will least through a few washings.

It's available at most hunting shops and Walmart... it's in a yellow box.

This. It will be difficult to keep most mosquitos away but the ticks can be regulated with permetherin. If it is a high tick area I suggest he wear pants with his pant legs tucked into his socks to keep those buggers from going up inside of his pants. Don't ask me how I know.

#5 gcloss

gcloss

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 738 posts
  • LocationEx-New Yorker now living in Peachtree City GA

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:25 PM

Both Scout Camps in Suffolk County, Baiting Hollow and Schiff Scout Reservation are infested with ticks. It's almost impossible to keep kids & adults tick free. I lost track of how many ticks my son got at Scout Camp.

#6 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 24742 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:39 PM

Both Scout Camps in Suffolk County, Baiting Hollow and Schiff Scout Reservation are infested with ticks. It's almost impossible to keep kids & adults tick free. I lost track of how many ticks my son got at Scout Camp.

The Hollow has a lot less ticks than Schiff but still has a fair amount. The advice above about Permethrin for clothing, shoes gear etc and deep woods off for the rest is spot on. DEET will not repel ticks. Proper application is important, many camps require pump bug repellents as the aerosol will stray and remove water repellency from tents
  • gcloss likes this

#7 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:54 PM

Thank you. My husband is on the way to Dicks, or Walmart, or Campsite to buy Permethrin. Both Off sprays I am sending with him are pump action. I cannot trust him with aerosol :) With two active kids and two dogs we had our fair share of ticks, but we were there to remove them in timely manner. This momma bear is not going to be there, so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to make this experience for him as fun as possible. Once again, thanks for your advice.
  • T.Webb and LongIsland Guy like this

#8 Mossy930spx

Mossy930spx

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6902 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:59 PM

Your son should be actively checking his body each day for any ticks. Armpits, head (feeling), behind the ears, legs and groin area. Long Island has a very nasty tick population. I enjoy camping and hiking off the island. Substantially less ticks and poison ivy.

#9 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3912 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted August 08 2014 - 02:07 PM

My 10 year old Cub Scout son is going, for the first time, to Boy Scout Camp in Baiting Hollow. He will stay there for five days. They sleep in tents, go hiking, swimming, etc. I am sending him with Deep Woods bug repellant for hiking, and a regular mosquito repellant for sleeping (both deet based). With all these new mosquito and tick varieties popping up, do any of you know of any other repellant that works better? This is the same kid who slept one night in a tent last year and came home with a tick attached to his neck. Thanks!

You probably don't want to read the other thread about ticks that was started earlier today...

#10 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 02:13 PM

You probably don't want to read the other thread about ticks that was started earlier today...

Too late :)
If this does not get my son's attention nothing will. He is a true carnivore.

#11 Barnslayer

Barnslayer

Banned

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationPort Washington

Posted August 08 2014 - 03:20 PM

Give your son a buzz cut.
  • Scrappy.NY likes this

#12 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 03:36 PM

For sleeping, are they on cots? If so, they should've recommended mosquito netting. I know my son's Troop does. Get some 1x1 cut it into for equal lengths about 4 ft long. Bring duck tape and zip ties to attach to cot legs and drape your netting over it...

#13 Licence to Quilt

Licence to Quilt

Runs with scissors

• Club LIF Member
  • 1759 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 03:57 PM

Buzz cut already done. I have a mosquito netting from when my husband went to Africa. He never used it (weird right?). It comes with the hoop you attach to the tent and it drapes over the cot. I better go and dig it out of the basement.

#14 angenmike

angenmike

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 664 posts
  • LocationIslip, NY

Posted August 08 2014 - 04:00 PM

REmind him every night to check his bags, his clothing and his body and teach him the difference between the different types of Ticks

#15 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Established Member
  • 1516 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted August 08 2014 - 04:24 PM

Buzz cut already done. I have a mosquito netting from when my husband went to Africa. He never used it (weird right?). It comes with the hoop you attach to the tent and it drapes over the cot. I better go and dig it out of the basement.

Make sure you have a tarp to put under the cot. The bugs make their way through the floor.

I used to be the aquatics director out there. 3 summers on staff with 2 previous years as a camper, 30+ weeks living in those tents. I don't think I've ever once used bug spray, to be honest. But listen to NRATC53's advice. He's spent much more time there than I. I especially second the "no aerosol" point. I've seen kids spray their entire canvas tent with aerosol bug spray and then the morning after a big storm, hang all of their gear up on closelines. (At least that's a good opportunity to teach the 2 half hitches and taught line hitch)
  • NRATC53 likes this

#16 CHERRY911

CHERRY911

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2140 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 04:26 PM

Reading this is making me itch

#17 Scrappy.NY

Scrappy.NY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2773 posts
  • LocationHuntington, NY

Posted August 08 2014 - 05:13 PM

Congrats on your son moving up to staying at a Boy Scout camp. As a former Boy Scout I have stayed at Baiting Hollow a few times learned a lot and have great memories. Im sure he will have a great time.
As he gets older and if you don't mind some traveling I recommend Camp Yawgoog and Camp Barton.
Lots of luck to you and your little Boy Scout.
  • Licence to Quilt likes this

#18 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19574 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 05:43 PM

Will CPS pay me a visit if I suggest Frontline??
  • Ramone, lichris and Licence to Quilt like this

#19 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2962 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 05:50 PM

It's totally ridiculous that BSA hasn't brought a flock of chickens, and Guinea fowl to eat all the ticks. The tick population can be reduced by 90%.
  • Habsfan, Sheeple and Licence to Quilt like this

#20 Habsfan

Habsfan

Member of the secret Canadian Mafia

• Club LIF Member
  • 5781 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted August 08 2014 - 05:54 PM

It's totally ridiculous that BSA hasn't brought a flock of chickens, and Guinea fowl to eat all the ticks. The tick population can be reduced by 90%.

I will mention it when I take my boy there. Good idea!
  • Licence to Quilt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scout, camp, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users