Where to rent a Pop Up Camping Trailer - Page 3 - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Where to rent a Pop Up Camping Trailer

camping trailer rent popup pop-up

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7300 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 03:42 PM

This is correct.

I apologize. I misread your post...

and would also have been pretty upset if told after the fact that I couldn't run my A/C at night. Actually, there is no way I would stayed at the campsite under those conditions and I'm the one typically trying to turn up the temperature on the A/C while my wife is not happy unless it's 68 degrees.

Edited by 2edgesword, August 22 2014 - 03:44 PM.

• LongIsland Guy likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#42 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 656 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 11:12 PM

I towed the small popup (smallest Colman makes) with a Toyota sienna. We put next to nothing (i.e. two folding chairs) in the trailer; but there was a lot of stuff and humans in the van. The bottom of the hitch sat about 2 inches off the ground when the van was loaded. I used this: http://www.harborfre...nder-69881.html when I probably should have used this http://www.harborfre...ack-to-top-link since it would have let me tilt the trailer up a bit.
Thanks for all the help and advice and campsite suggestions.

#43 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 656 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 11:16 PM

Steve936 - how big a vehicle do you need to drag a 31 foot trailer?

#44 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted August 23 2014 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the info.I ended up renting at DeAngelis - thanks How474. I would have searched a bit longer, but was getting fearful I'd wait too long and find nothing.

Steve - We did reserve a spot (#137) on loop 5 by the lake (one of the last ones). I was concerned it would be more of a vegetation field than a lake, so good to hear you recommending it.

VietVet - you are thinking more elaborate camping than I will be camping. My understanding is North South Lake has no electrical hookups. Also, the trailer I rented is an 8 foot box - basically it is the same size as my Harbor Freight trailer, only it has beds that fold out. Single axle, so I am *assuming* no breaking system (a think fairly light). Your setup looks extremely civilized. Shower and toilet? Can you still call it camping? The generator in the pictures - how loud is it? Also, what is the white thing on the table? (can you tell I'm new to camping?) The big question - what do you pull that trailer with? As for backing up a trailer - my daughters come out to mock and laugh whenever I back a trailer into the driveway (boat for a few years, now just utility trailer); so backing the pop-up into a tight spot should be real entertainment to watch.

Joe - I like the trailer in the pictures - seems sweet for tall humans.

Architect - I'll give a call anyway - info may be useful in the future.

2EdgeSword - Good thought on renting the class C, but figured we would test drive camping at it's most basic first. We would have gone with a tent (figured more room), but do not have tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.; so thought popup was a reasonable starting point. To tell the whole story, I really *want* to like camping, so if this doesn't work out, my plan is to tell myself, "I'll give it another try, only this time I'll get a larger camper."

Final question: We have the trailer for 4 days, but I could only get space at North South Lake for the first two days (Wednesday and Thursday). My plan was to hang there Friday to see if they had any cancellations. Any better suggestions (assuming everyone is not begging to go home)?

About 75 min northwest is Gilbert Lake State Park near Oneonta. Nice small lake, rental row boats/kayaks, swimming, day trip to Cooperstown, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camping, trailer, rent popup, pop-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users