Where to rent a Pop Up Camping Trailer - Camping / RV - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Where to rent a Pop Up Camping Trailer

camping trailer rent popup pop-up

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'm looking for somplace to rent a pop-up camping trailer (to sleep 5 humans). Heading to North South Lake in a few weeks, and had hopes of renting something either here on the island, or somewhere along the way. People at North South had no suggestions, so I am turning to the most trusted, knowledgable people on the net (and posting here as well :) ) Any suggestions?
I will be towing it with a Toyota Sienna, so a "real" RV trailer is a no-go.
It is my first time camping (wife has camped many times and says I will not like it, so I have that going for me...). It will be 2 adults and three kids (youngest is 10). We are going mid-week, so I *think* there is some hope of finding a rental. Any suggesations/ideas are appreciated.
A friend offered to loan us their popup; but it is at least 25 years old - I figured first camping experience best to minimize annoyances like leaks and breaking stuff.
Any help/ideas is appreciated. (and if you have wired trailer lights into a Toyota Sienna, I'll take any helpful suggestions on that as well. Did the hitch months ago - never got around to the electric)

Edited by JustPractical, July 30 2014 - 08:41 AM.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 How474

How474

Retirement to Free America can't come soon enough!

• Banned
  • 1874 posts
  • LocationA lil' bit west of east

Posted July 30 2014 - 10:09 AM

Try these places:
http://www.commacktr...s.com/home.html
http://www.grandamrv...iscpage_002.asp
http://www.deangelis...p?sortorder=ASC (They have pop-ups)

#3 P Martin

P Martin

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1186 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted July 30 2014 - 10:24 AM

Trailer City. They have 3 locations, Hempstead, Commack and riverhead

#4 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 30 2014 - 11:53 AM

I think there is a place just west of Calverton cemetery that has a bunch of RV's. I think they sell, but give them a call as maybe they rent as well.

Why not just rent a winnebago type bus. No trailering at all! All the comforts of home!

#5 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 12:23 PM

X2 Trailer City...That's how we got our start 15yrs ago...Now, 4 trailers of our own later we're still in the game...Ask them to wire the light harness in. It's reasonable and good to have it done right. Takes only 5-10 minutes. Good choice going to North/South Lake...that's a great campground. Read up on keeping a bear safe/proof campsite.

Edited by Steve936, July 30 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#6 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some updates (in case someone uses this thread in the future):
- Commack trailer sales seems to only rent high end/big stuff. I called to ask for sure, but got voicemail and left a message.

- Trailer City rents a popup, but its a small one (not a huge problem - just tight for 5). Minimum rental is 1 week, but cost is $500. That's a good price if you can find a place to camp for a week. Steve - good suggestion for the wiring; the Sienna can be a pain in the butt to wire, so I may opt to have them do it

- Grand Am RV rental is only open for half the week (and it's not this half) so I don't have much info about them yet.

- Deangelis rents popups - same size as trailer city. Minimum rental is 4 days. Cost is $400. They include some extras (like a generator). This is probably where we will end up.

- I did not check the place out near Calverton yet.

#7 How474

How474

• Banned
  • 1874 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some updates (in case someone uses this thread in the future):
- Commack trailer sales seems to only rent high end/big stuff. I called to ask for sure, but got voicemail and left a message.

- Trailer City rents a popup, but its a small one (not a huge problem - just tight for 5). Minimum rental is 1 week, but cost is $500. That's a good price if you can find a place to camp for a week. Steve - good suggestion for the wiring; the Sienna can be a pain in the butt to wire, so I may opt to have them do it

- Grand Am RV rental is only open for half the week (and it's not this half) so I don't have much info about them yet.

- Deangelis rents popups - same size as trailer city. Minimum rental is 4 days. Cost is $400. They include some extras (like a generator). This is probably where we will end up.

- I did not check the place out near Calvert

Glad I can help. Members helping members.

#8 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 30 2014 - 02:23 PM

Found this place: know nothing about them
http://www.yellowpag...d=1000511985670

These guys http://www.grandamrv.com/Default.asp (Again know nothing about them)

#9 Steve936

Steve936

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • 297 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 03:15 PM

Yeah I do remember the Trailer City pop-ups being smaller...I should've said that. When we started renting from them it was just me and the wife the first few trips, then we added a kid. Plenty of room for us back then. Once we had our second kid we went and bought our first pop-up which was bigger then the rentals(wife wanted a toilet and kitchen, nice amenities with small kids). I think they stick with the smaller ones to make them more attractive for towing by a wider range of tow vehicles...I have some spare generators too I just wish they were down here on the Island. Both of them happen to be upstate where I keep my trailer right now. I could've loaned you one. For North/South Lake I recommend sites on Loop 5. Especially the ones that border the lake...Sometimes they're hard to get for obvious reasons.

Edited by Steve936, July 30 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#10 VietVet

VietVet

• Established Member
  • 4453 posts

Posted July 30 2014 - 03:30 PM

The place by Calverton Cemetary is W.E.S Trailers. I don't think they rent but you can give them a call.

http://www.westrailersales.com/

ETA: I don't know your background but setting up a pop up camper takes some practice. I own one and it took me a few "Practice Tries" to get it down right. There's more to it then some realize. Also depending on the electrical hook up of the camper you rent there are different systems. Some need a 7 pin connection. I believe the other is 4 pin connection. Different brake systems also. Some have electric some have surge. Mine is fully equipped. Heat, A/C, Shower, Toilet, Fridge, Stove, Sink, TV. Just about everything you can get. Love it. Hardest part is backing them suckers up. Make sure it's level too. Good luck. Have fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3857.JPG
  • IMG_3863.JPG

Edited by VietVet, July 30 2014 - 03:45 PM.

• peteinsuffolk, LongIsland Guy and How474 like this

#11 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• 36800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 30 2014 - 03:41 PM

Check with John at Tag RV. Mention me.
631-475-1838

#12 nitroscope8

nitroscope8

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 889 posts
  • LocationLake Grove

Posted July 30 2014 - 04:17 PM

No advice for the trailer but my wife and I have stayed at north south lake almost every year for the past 10 years. Before me she has camped there annually since she was a baby. In fact, we just found out she was conceived there..... :fie

#13 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7244 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 09:10 AM

When my wife and I were first considering buying an RV we rented on (class C) from the place in Commack on Jericho Turnpike. They did have light weight trailers at the time that might be towable by a Toyota Sienna, although the actual towing capacity will depend on the specific engine, drive train and hitch rating you have.

I'm not familar with pop-ups and what they weigh but you might also need a break controller installed in your Sienna. I think in NY it's required for towing a trailer over 1,000 lbs.

Do the calculations. It may be less expensive to rent a small class C (30" RV you drive) versus renting a pop-up that also requires the installation of a brake controller and wiring for the lights and brakes.

#14 Joe Shmoe

Joe Shmoe

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 7130 posts
  • LocationIn my own little world.

Posted July 31 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm not adding anything of benefit, but if you could rent one of these...you'd be a real pimp! In a good way.

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=785

opera-luxury-camper-fold-out-1.jpeg

#15 How474

How474

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 1874 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm not adding anything of benefit, but if you could rent one of these...you'd be a real pimp! In a good way.

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=785

opera-luxury-camper-fold-out-1.jpeg

Able to be pulled by a Prius!!! Now we're talking.

Edited by How474, July 31 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#16 JustPractical

JustPractical

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 655 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the info.I ended up renting at DeAngelis - thanks How474. I would have searched a bit longer, but was getting fearful I'd wait too long and find nothing.

Steve - We did reserve a spot (#137) on loop 5 by the lake (one of the last ones). I was concerned it would be more of a vegetation field than a lake, so good to hear you recommending it.

VietVet - you are thinking more elaborate camping than I will be camping. My understanding is North South Lake has no electrical hookups. Also, the trailer I rented is an 8 foot box - basically it is the same size as my Harbor Freight trailer, only it has beds that fold out. Single axle, so I am *assuming* no breaking system (a think fairly light). Your setup looks extremely civilized. Shower and toilet? Can you still call it camping? The generator in the pictures - how loud is it? Also, what is the white thing on the table? (can you tell I'm new to camping?) The big question - what do you pull that trailer with? As for backing up a trailer - my daughters come out to mock and laugh whenever I back a trailer into the driveway (boat for a few years, now just utility trailer); so backing the pop-up into a tight spot should be real entertainment to watch.

Joe - I like the trailer in the pictures - seems sweet for tall humans.

Architect - I'll give a call anyway - info may be useful in the future.

2EdgeSword - Good thought on renting the class C, but figured we would test drive camping at it's most basic first. We would have gone with a tent (figured more room), but do not have tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.; so thought popup was a reasonable starting point. To tell the whole story, I really *want* to like camping, so if this doesn't work out, my plan is to tell myself, "I'll give it another try, only this time I'll get a larger camper."

Final question: We have the trailer for 4 days, but I could only get space at North South Lake for the first two days (Wednesday and Thursday). My plan was to hang there Friday to see if they had any cancellations. Any better suggestions (assuming everyone is not begging to go home)?

Edited by JustPractical, July 31 2014 - 10:57 PM.

• How474 likes this

#17 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 01 2014 - 06:37 AM

Let us know how it works out. Wife grew up camping and I've never been. Would like give it a go and be able to give my daughter some sort of appreciation for everything around us.

#18 How474

How474

• Banned
  • 1874 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 06:46 AM

Most of all have fun and enjoy it with the family.

#19 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 7244 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hopefully you will luck out and there will be a cancelation so you can stay the four days.

For me the trailer is a place to stay dry, off the ground at night with a few creature comforts thrown in. Beyond that its a time to enjoy the campground and surrounding area with the family.

Enjoy and report back on your trip.

#20 How474

How474

• Banned
  • 1874 posts

Posted August 01 2014 - 10:26 AM

I've always enjoyed going out to the old KOA campground ground in Greenport with my dad. We had some great times.
http://www.easternlikampground.com/

Edited by How474, August 01 2014 - 10:28 AM.

• The Architect likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camping, trailer, rent popup, pop-up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users