A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle? - Page 4 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle?

unique hunting question long island snapping turtle

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 05:37 AM

I'm following this.  DEC says firearm or bow only state wide !!     Where can I do this ?    I want to hunt turtles !!

On Long Island No rifles or handguns. Turtles are found just about any wetland area in the state.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#62 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 08:48 AM

On Long Island No rifles or handguns. Turtles are found just about any wetland area in the state.

Not 100% true

#63 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 08:54 AM

Not 100% true

Can you please direct me? No rifles or handguns are allowed to be used to hunt on Long Island.
You will be placed under arrest walking around with a rifle or handgun while afield hunting anywhere on Long Island!

#64 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:15 AM

Can you please direct me? No rifles or handguns are allowed to be used to hunt on Long Island.
You will be placed under arrest walking around with a rifle or handgun while afield hunting anywhere on Long Island!

Your first sentence is the problem.. Show me where is specifically says small game hunting with a handgun on Long Island is prohibited

I ME MYSELF not somebody I know..ME... I asked that same question to Tim Huss... He couldn't answer it either...

He then admitted it is legal but not advised

Edited by Shotgun682, April 16 2020 - 09:19 AM.

#65 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:26 AM

Your first sentence is the problem.. Show me where is specifically says small game hunting with a handgun on Long Island is prohibited
I ME MYSELF not somebody I know..ME... I asked that same question to Tim Huss... He couldn't answer it either...
He then admitted it is legal but not advised

Do you have a New York State Hunting License?
If you do have a NY Hunting License you will know.
No Centerfire pistol/rifle or Rimfire cartridges allowed to hunt on Long Island.
If you hunt small game with your handgun on Long Island expect a problem!

#66 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:33 AM

No Centerfire pistol/rifle or Rimfire cartridges allowed to hunt on Long Island.

Yes for BIG game

It doesn't specifically say that for small game on Long Island

That is why he said he didn't advise it because he knows that it will be a problem because officers are unaware of the law.

Edited by Shotgun682, April 16 2020 - 09:36 AM.

#67 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yes for BIG game
It doesn't specifically say that fir small game on Long Island

So you talked to someone who said Hunting Small Game with a handgun on Long Island is perfectly legal because you talked to “Tim Huss”.
I would definitely recommend getting it in writing from the DEC that will clarify small game hunting. If it’s legal I want to shoot woodchucks with my handgun!

#68 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:42 AM

So you talked to someone who said Hunting Small Game with a handgun on Long Island is perfectly legal because you talked to “Tim Huss”.
I would definitely recommend getting it in writing from the DEC that will clarify small game hunting. If it’s legal I want to shoot woodchucks with my handgun!

Oh it is legal but I don't have the "Mastershield" like you do so I never pushed it.. I was going to have an XP-100 built to shoot chucks but decided against it..

I know you know who Tim Huss is

Edited by Shotgun682, April 16 2020 - 09:43 AM.

#69 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:50 AM

Oh it is legal but I don't have the "Mastershield" like you do so I never pushed it.. I was going to have an XP-100 built to shoot chucks but decided against it..
I know you know who Tim Huss is

When hunting carry the current Hunting rules and regulations with you. It’s helpful, DEC Encon do make mistakes.

#70 Shotgun682

Shotgun682

LIF Official Supporter

• Club LIF Member
  • 2335 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 09:57 AM

When hunting carry the current Hunting rules and regulations with you. It’s helpful, DEC Encon do make mistakes.

I was never worried about Econ.. One call to Tim Huss and they would be gone.. It's the rest of law Enforcement that would be the problem...

#71 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2962 posts

Posted April 16 2020 - 02:26 PM

The DEC site says firearm, or bow only.   STATE WIDE.      How can we do this on Long Island ??

#72 PerfectoShot

PerfectoShot

Gun Guru

• 766 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 10:11 PM

https://www.dec.ny.g...door/31339.html    it only mention "firearm or a bow" without being specific however there's ammo for pistols that shoot multiple of pellets like shotgun called Shotshell.

#73 wwolf

wwolf

Sharp Shooter!

• 316 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 16 2020 - 11:32 PM

I would leave the wildlife alone for no

#74 nicksoco

nicksoco

Respected Gunowner

• 101 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted April 17 2020 - 02:07 AM

Well here is how its written on the DEC website

• A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow.
  • If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.
Open Season: July 15 through September 30
Open Area: Statewide
Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.
Daily Bag: 5
Season Bag: 30
Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night.

My apologies for the formatting. I copy/pasted

It does say statewide. So I assume that means Long Island. Though I would call regardless.

Edit: And yes, I explained to my friend that up here...things are different.

Too many rules to be followed.

#75 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 17 2020 - 08:36 AM

https://www.dec.ny.g...door/31339.html it only mention "firearm or a bow" without being specific however there's ammo for pistols that shoot multiple of pellets like shotgun called Shotshell.

You will need to verify that in writing from the DEC. Just to make it clear, local town ordinance are throughout NY state. I wouldn’t risk going on county land in Suffolk County and shoot a rifle or handgun because You will be arrested.
Even in upstate we have no firearms discharge ordinance on the books as many towns and villages have on Long Island.

#76 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3337 posts

Posted April 18 2020 - 10:11 AM

Just because DEC says you may use a firearm, doesn't mean that local municipalities will allow it. Laws are like onions there are a lot of layers to peel through.

#77 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 11243 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted April 18 2020 - 10:55 AM

Just because DEC says you may use a firearm, doesn't mean that local municipalities will allow it. Laws are like onions there are a lot of layers to peel through.

The Hunter Safety Course Instructors will teach this in the course. You have Federal, State and local laws. It is on you to learn the local laws where you hunt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unique, hunting, question, long, island, snapping, turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users