A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle? - Page 3 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle?

unique hunting question long island snapping turtle

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Bobbytaz

Bobbytaz

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2340 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image
  • FULL METAL JACKET likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Bobbytaz

Bobbytaz

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2340 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:26 PM

Posted Image
  • Aquabach likes this

#43 1Defender

1Defender

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSuffolk Co.

Posted July 04 2014 - 04:29 PM

I live on a lake on the south shore, we have snapping turtles the size of garbage can covers here.
Stopped swimming the lake years ago after seeing ducks with only one foot.
  • pequa1 likes this

#44 Skarain

Skarain

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 04:34 PM

As soon as I get around to calling the DEC I will post what they told me here.

As for the Chinatown suggestion. I might just have to try that out regardless.

#45 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12178 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted July 04 2014 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Reading some of your comments it seems that some of you are rather against the harvesting of snapping turtles. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but you are on a hunting section of the forums. Regardless, you have my apologies.

I will contact the DEC, however I think I'm just going to stick to freshwater fishing and leave them snappers alone. I think using a bow is impractical, and shotguns on Long Island seem controversal.

Heres a question for you guys. Isn't it common to see duck hunters (with shotguns) on LI during the season? How do those fellas do it?

Thats exactly what I planned to do.

Well, with duck hunting you do it over open water, in the air, away from land (sea ducks or river). I live down the road from the largest river on LI (Nissequogue) and come December I hear shotgun report first thing in the morning. However, even duck hunters get harassed on Long Island. Many times nearby landowners do call the police and sometimes DEC has to be called in to actually tell them that it's legal!

With duck hunting you're also in a blind or a stationary boat whereas I would imagine hunting snappers would mean navigating land or swamp with a shotgun and shooting at land level which also would likely draw alarm from any Long Islanders nearby, the majority who have never seen a gun in person in their lives. Many town ordinances on LI also prevent the discharge of a firearm (bow included) in their township. Downstate is a different world; politically, socially, and legally. You have to remember we are the minority here, so you have to navigate carefully.

Call DEC locally.

Edited by Destro, July 04 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#46 PandM

PandM

moved to greener pastures

• Club LIF Member
  • 10857 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:33 PM

Gardiner Park on the West Islip / Bay Shore border is littered with snappers.

http://www.suffolkco...CountyPark.aspx
  • NRATC53 likes this

#47 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• 2242 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 10:29 AM

I saw an 18" turtle bite a tree limb in half, I'm guessing it was a snapping turtle. Had some pretty serious claws, too. There is no way in Hades I would plant a foot in his domain unless I wasn't particularly fond of that foot.

#48 incorrigible

incorrigible

Team Infidel

• Established Member
  • 2089 posts
  • LocationHuntington Area

Posted July 05 2014 - 11:48 AM

I saw a huge one while Kayaking down the Nissequogue river a few summers ago. Was at least 18" in length if not 24". It was up on the riverbank out of the water.

#49 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3326 posts

Posted January 11 2020 - 01:54 AM

Hey thought I would never this old thread, anyone hunt snapping turtle lately. After consideration I realize they are an apex predator. I find it annoying that the DEC only allows shotgun or Bow hunting of these animals. Is there a way to lobby the DEC to allow spear use as well?

#50 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7819 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted January 11 2020 - 10:14 PM

Hey thought I would never this old thread, anyone hunt snapping turtle lately. After consideration I realize they are an apex predator. I find it annoying that the DEC only allows shotgun or Bow hunting of these animals. Is there a way to lobby the DEC to allow spear use as well?

Take a shotgun with a long barrel and tie a piece of steel fishing leader with a chicken leg to the barrel and dangle it in front of the critter. 

#51 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3326 posts

Posted January 12 2020 - 04:07 PM

Take a shotgun with a long barrel and tie a piece of steel fishing leader with a chicken leg to the barrel and dangle it in front of the critter.

That's all fine and good if local law don't prohibit shotgun use in the municipality. Sadly my town does not allow bow or shotgun use even in tidal areas. I was looking into it because I figured snapping turtle would be a good hunt of opportunity while fishing.
  • NRATC53 likes this

#52 Ancap

Ancap

Gun Guru

• 583 posts

Posted January 12 2020 - 05:06 PM

After watching this video, I would definitely want a shotgun!

#53 NRATC53

NRATC53

Now an Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 24559 posts

Posted January 12 2020 - 06:45 PM

After watching this video, I would definitely want a shotgun!

There are many stupid people

• Ancap likes this

#54 grifhunter

grifhunter

Sifting Through the Ruins

• Club LIF Member
  • 7819 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion Exits 43-49

Posted January 12 2020 - 08:23 PM

That's all fine and good if local law don't prohibit shotgun use in the municipality. Sadly my town does not allow bow or shotgun use even in tidal areas. I was looking into it because I figured snapping turtle would be a good hunt of opportunity while fishing.

They ban discharging the firearm.   I suggested using the shotgun like a very stiff fishing rod. 

#55 Gaijin

Gaijin

Respected Gunowner

• 240 posts
  • LocationLong I$land

Posted January 14 2020 - 12:54 AM

I would  put my Ex's  Momma against  any snapping turtle you can find...  she's as tough as nails and will bite you harder than anything that swims-  I'll bet that the  snapping turtle is friendlier too !

#56 Georgeviking

Georgeviking

Respected Gunowner

• 273 posts
  • LocationCrook haven township

Posted January 16 2020 - 03:05 PM

Many moons ago we would fish for gold fish then take a gold fish stomp on it, hook it with a bait caster and look for turtle bubbles ( they dig through the mud looking for dead things ) then cast in front of them. I ( borrowed ) one of dads rods and reels cause a pissed off snapping turtle digs in hard when hooked, we then let him entertain us for awhile breaking sticks, and such before we painted one square on his back with testors model paint ( we all had our own color ) anyway we carried them by the tail away from the shore and back to release them, younger kids watched us once and the following weekend were there without realizing when carrying a snapping turtle one must extend the turtle away from them as there neck is quite long, I will never forget that happy kid walking from the water smiling till the snapper chomped on his inner thigh, man did that kid bleed, never fished for them after that. But still assist them in crossing the road, they are remarkable creatures who out live us all. Anyway don't let them bite you and if you see one yellow was my color.

#57 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4843 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted January 16 2020 - 04:00 PM

Yes, the long neck was usually their downfall.   

#58 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 2541 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted January 16 2020 - 07:07 PM

Snapping turtles NAH! I'll just stick to snappers at least I know how to cook them

#59 Moosehead

Moosehead

Advanced Member

• Donated Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNorth Shore Long Island

Posted February 23 2020 - 11:05 AM

Long ago when I was a kid, I lived by Avon Manor Pond in Amityville. It was loaded with these turtles. I personally captured one that weighed about 35 lbs at that time. It bit a homemade broomstick gaff in half. There was a guy who used to come along at night and catch turtles marauding the shoreline. Not sure if he used a gaff or a noose device but he would drag them out of the water and shoot them in the head with a small 22 cal handgun (this was over 50 years ago). Like a previous poster I saw turtles in there the size of garbage can lids. In any case this guy would shoot them in the head and haul them off to sell to restaurants. I suspect that a firearm is unnecessary. Just get them to extend their necks in anger and chop off the head with a machete. 

There is no reason to believe that they are not still there. They are also in twin ponds in Centerport and likely any large pond on Long Island. 

They are quite nasty!

#60 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• 2931 posts

Posted April 15 2020 - 08:30 PM

I'm following this.  DEC says firearm or bow only state wide !!     Where can I do this ?    I want to hunt turtles !!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unique, hunting, question, long, island, snapping, turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users