A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle? - Page 2 - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle?

unique hunting question long island snapping turtle

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 463 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:17 AM

Snapping turtles are the zombies of the turtle world.
They are nasty mean creatures. They can't pull their head into their shell like non-zombie turtles. That's why they snap.
They have long necks and can reach back pretty far so if you grab one they just might rip your entire arm right off!

Required viewing after your comment

• Aquabach and brirodg like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4844 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:44 AM

I stopped using killies for bait in freshwater lakes after catching one big snapping turtle after another. Surprised to see that some of my "neighbors" that posted here have not seen them as large, but my freshwater fishing pretty much ended by 1998 when I returned to saltwater fishing. In the 90s, in my "local" lakes (of course that's Nassau where nothing is allowed and your southern friend will quickly be visiting central booking in Hempstead if a firearm is even brought out of the vehicle in public) garbage can lid sized turtles were NOT uncommon. I used to stab them through a leg hole with one of those dollar ninety nine survival knives and give them to the guys with funny accents who couldn't wait for me to catch another. and those survival knives were almost too short to avoid those murderous jaws ! I figured I would "save" dozens of largemouth every time I removed one. Guess I should just go and surrender myself now since I must have been "hunting" out of season, although it was really a combination of fishing and self defense, lol, if I wanted to get my hook back !

#23 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:46 AM

I've been hunting since the minute I was old enough to legally participate. But I'm absolutely amazed that snapping turtle hunting on LI is actually a thing.

And how does a size limit work when hunting with a shotgun? If it measures 11-1/2" after you've removed it's head with with an ounce of lead, what do you do? It's a little late to throw it back.

I know that the three point rule is tough to deal with for deer in some areas upstate, but other than that are there any other hunting regs that are based on a measurement?

I never thought of that. That there are so few animals that have size regulations on land. Although, one could argue that snapping turtles are taken most likely in the water.
Spearfishing has the same regs as fishing and it's really spear hunting.
You have to judge the size of what you're shooting at while it's moving and take into account the refraction of water which makes things appear a third larger than they actually are.

Even regular fishing kills undersized fish.
I can't tell you the number of short stripers I've found on the bottom that died from being caught and the damage the hooks did from regular fishing. What a waste. But those are the laws.

#24 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6479 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted July 04 2014 - 08:48 AM

There used to be a really nasty one with red hair in Yaphank.
  • Aquabach likes this

#25 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Unappreciated while still alive

• Established Member
  • 3841 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 09:04 AM

There used to be a really nasty one with red hair in Yaphank.

I think I met her once (or more).

#26 roadraje

roadraje

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1731 posts
  • Locationoff the grid.

Posted July 04 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think using a shotgun to take down a turtle is overkill…unless you are making turtle soup.

#27 Skarain

Skarain

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Reading some of your comments it seems that some of you are rather against the harvesting of snapping turtles. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but you are on a hunting section of the forums. Regardless, you have my apologies.

I will contact the DEC, however I think I'm just going to stick to freshwater fishing and leave them snappers alone. I think using a bow is impractical, and shotguns on Long Island seem controversal.

Heres a question for you guys. Isn't it common to see duck hunters (with shotguns) on LI during the season? How do those fellas do it?

I think using a shotgun to take down a turtle is overkill…unless you are making turtle soup.

Thats exactly what I planned to do.
  • Aquabach likes this

#28 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 4844 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 04 2014 - 10:10 AM

do both. just use killies for bait. the killie will go absolutely nuts when it sees the snapping turtle approach, jumping out of the water despite split shot on the line. and you will see a string of bubbles near it, evidently from the turtle. the turtle will reel in like a huge piece of rubbish. keep the hook in (usually its in the tongue) spear it through a leg hole with a sharpened screwdriver (because as we all know knives with blades over three inches will also get you to visit central booking) and joila, turtle soup in the making. (although you may have to wait for July 15, LOL)

#29 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• 2242 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 10:32 AM

There are some turtles that are definitely over 12" in the pond at Hecksher Park in Huntington. Might not be the best place to go for a stroll with your 12-gauge, though.

I don't think those are snapping turtles, their shells are smooth, unless I'm just thinking of the alligator variety. And if they were they'd be eating half the fish. And if they got big enough, the ducks. And eventually children. So hunt snapping turtles. It's for the children!!
  • Chief Brody likes this

#30 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere near Aquabach.

Posted July 04 2014 - 10:56 AM

Posted Image

"Hi, my name is GB and I don't condone the hunting of unsexed turtles."

OMG I"m dying....seriously roflmao

#31 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 10:56 AM

Reading some of your comments it seems that some of you are rather against the harvesting of snapping turtles. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but you are on a hunting section of the forums. Regardless, you have my apologies.

I will contact the DEC, however I think I'm just going to stick to freshwater fishing and leave them snappers alone. I think using a bow is impractical, and shotguns on Long Island seem controversial.
Heres a question for you guys. Isn't it common to see duck hunters (with shotguns) on LI during the season? How do those fellas do it?

This is a really good point. I may not want to hunt snapping turtles but why the heck someone should give you grief over it on a gun forum in the Hunting section is ridiculous.
I don't think using a bow would be impractical but to each his own.
I've never eaten a snapping turtle but I've had their salt water cousins and it is good.

As to your duck hunting question I'm not sure but it's somewhat different because it's waterfowl that are hunted on the salt water where it is specifically legal.
Please call the DEC and find out what the regulations are and if there is anywhere it is legal to hunt with a shotgun
I'd like to know where and how you are allowed to hunt them on Long island.
Please post info when you get it.
  • Skarain likes this

#32 CAP1974

CAP1974

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 1788 posts
  • LocationMassapequa

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:04 AM

Call of the wildman, call the turtle man!
  • ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#33 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3937 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:18 AM

I will contact the DEC, however I think I'm just going to stick to freshwater fishing and leave them snappers alone. I think using a bow is impractical, and shotguns on Long Island seem controversal.

Thats exactly what I planned to do.

Hey if its legal, have at it

#34 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• 3598 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:22 AM

if you really want turtle meat : http://buyturtlemeat.com/ http://www.lacrawfis...2-lbs-P298.aspx

http://www.lacrawfis...awfish-C62.aspx
ok fresh and cleaned , no ticks, no chigger bites, no jail. If you pal is from the south why not introduce him to more northern dishes? He can have turtle ,squirrel ,and raccoon any day of the week at home. But fresh stripper? bluefish? Lobster? clams?

#35 brirodg

brirodg

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:30 AM

I think you may have confused surprise with offense. No one suggested that they were offended by the thought of hunting turtles, only that they were surprised that not only was there a season for them on LI, but that a shotgun or bow could be used to take them.

#36 akmax

akmax

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1009 posts
  • Locationnorthport

Posted July 04 2014 - 11:33 AM

Freshpond in fort salonga has HUGE snapping turtles. And lots of them. You will never ever see anyone swimming there, there is that many large sized snapping turtles and everyone in the area knows it.

#37 SigSauer228

SigSauer228

Gun Guru

• 5873 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:52 PM

My advice (...and I'm not joking)

Take your buddy to Chinatown in Queens. Go to an Asian market. There you will find live turtles, frogs, snails, crawfish, and a bunch of other "exotic" stuff.

There's a market right off Marathon Blvd (exit 32 on L.I.E.) The market place is on the S/E corner of the L.I.E. southbound service rd and Marathon Blvd. There's a strip of stores there. Park in the back behind the mart. There's a Chinese restaurant next door that serves Dim Sum 7 days a week (10am - 2pm)

#38 SURFER21

SURFER21

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1020 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:45 PM

I remember one on display at Cold Spring Harbor trout hatchery. I think his name was Junior but he was the size of a manhole cover. One could clearly see him in his pond/enclosure but out in the wild with all that natural camo,um no thanks...

Edited by SURFER21, July 04 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#39 gripper

gripper

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1949 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 02:34 PM

Post update after you talk to DEC, wondering what the response will be from them

#40 TERRY P

TERRY P

Still working on a screen name

• Established Member
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationLand of the free, and the home of the brave..

Posted July 04 2014 - 03:16 PM

Do it yourself youtube video on turtle hunting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnP3483FzPQ

Yeah...Hell no.
As long as there are still cows in the world all of the turtles are safe around me.
  • FULL METAL JACKET and brirodg like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unique, hunting, question, long, island, snapping, turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users