A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle? - Hunting - Open Discussions - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

A unique hunting question. Long island snapping turtle?

unique hunting question long island snapping turtle

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Skarain

Skarain

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 03 2014 - 10:58 PM

So I have recently been exposed to bizare meats, no no, not to worry. I do not mean humans, I mean reptiles and amphibians.

I have a friend coming up from the backwoods of Georiga for the summer, and is used to these kind of things. So I was hoping to maybe go on a hike/hunting trip along the freshwaters of long island to look for some snapping turtle, to harvest and then eat.

Heres the question.

I never have hunted with a shotgun on long island. How does that work? Is it complicated and regulation heavy? On the DEC website it says "A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow" (http://www.dec.ny.go...door/31339.html)

My second concern is how the heck do you even hit a turtle with a shotgun, let alone a bow. But I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

Otherwise, if long island is a no-go, I suppose I can take a drive upstate.

Thanks for any input you can give.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3937 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:01 PM

Uh, You best go on the DEC web site, To the best of my knowledge, there is no snapping turtle shotgun season on long Island, You may end up with chrome bracelets and you may want to mention to your friend from georgia to leave his firearms at home...

#3 Skarain

Skarain

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well here is how its written on the DEC website
  • A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow.
  • If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.
Open Season: July 15 through September 30
Open Area: Statewide
Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.
Daily Bag: 5
Season Bag: 30
Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night.

My apologies for the formatting. I copy/pasted

It does say statewide. So I assume that means Long Island. Though I would call regardless.

Edit: And yes, I explained to my friend that up here...things are different.

#4 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 24899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:32 PM

Wow... 5/day... I'm not sure I've seen 5 in my life bigger than 12"

I honestly would have thought they were protected

#5 cgeminski

cgeminski

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1049 posts
  • LocationRidge, NY

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:48 PM

I have never seen one of them out of the water other than in the spring when the females are laying eggs. How are you planning on hunting them?

#6 Chief Brody

Chief Brody

Gun Guru

• 1009 posts
  • LocationPatchogue, NY

Posted July 03 2014 - 11:58 PM

There are some turtles that are definitely over 12" in the pond at Hecksher Park in Huntington. Might not be the best place to go for a stroll with your 12-gauge, though.

Edited by Chief Brody, July 04 2014 - 12:10 AM.

• NRATC53, Myrcinus and General.rr like this

#7 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 7808 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:33 AM

So...in NYS you can shgotgun hunt turtles at 4 am....

Interesting......

#8 carguy110

carguy110

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2779 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted July 04 2014 - 12:43 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

"Hi, my name is GB and I don't condone the hunting of unsexed turtles."
  • malakaguy, Myrcinus, Destro and 7 others like this

#9 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3335 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:40 AM

could always just pick them up and then hit the point blank with the bow. I think a shotgun would be against most local ordinances. Although out of curiosity what size shot would one use? Also what kind of turtles are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
  • John L, Destro and The Idiocracy like this

#10 gunsngolf

gunsngolf

Semper Fi Semper Paratus

• Banned

• 6423 posts
  • LocationRight Overthere

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:41 AM

Once you find a pond they are in that is also in a legal hunting area, wait till early morning. Just before sunrise. They come out of the water at night and make their way back to the ponds early in the morning. My weapon of choice would be a .410. You will surely need SS shot since they are in/near the water.

I would make sure that you are in a legal, state owned land. You best bet is to contact the DEC to verify once you find a spot you are interested in.

Edited by gunsngolf, July 04 2014 - 05:42 AM.

• NRATC53 and Myrcinus like this

#11 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned

• 7584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:47 AM

Why not just grab them? They're freaking turtles! Who the hell needs to shoot a turtle?!
(Side joke) "I like turtles!" :)
  • malakaguy, MetalHead, 98ls1z-28 and 2 others like this

#12 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• BBQ

• 17533 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted July 04 2014 - 05:56 AM

There are some turtles that are definitely over 12" in the pond at Hecksher Park in Huntington. Might not be the best place to go for a stroll with your 12-gauge, though.

Leave my park alone!
  • Chief Brody and Sheeple like this

#13 AkunaMatata

AkunaMatata

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 5575 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:08 AM

I see pretty big ones occasionally when out kayaking in secluded freshwater areas... In fact, I wouldn't even say occasionally, they're always pretty thick in the peconic. I would imagine that the best way to catch them would be by hand (wearing waders.) Shooting one of those guys with a bow seems like a good way to break an arrow.

#14 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:14 AM

Why not just grab them? They're freaking turtles! Who the hell needs to shoot a turtle?!
(Side joke) "I like turtles!" :)

Snapping turtles are the zombies of the turtle world.
They are nasty mean creatures. They can't pull their head into their shell like non-zombie turtles. That's why they snap.
They have long necks and can reach back pretty far so if you grab one they just might rip your entire arm right off!

Okay, maybe not your entire arm.
  • NRATC53, Lazygent and Destro like this

#15 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:15 AM

Grabbing them by hand seems like a pretty good way to loose a finger or other body parts.
Those turtles are mean looking.
  • NRATC53, Lazygent, Myrcinus and 1 other like this

#16 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned

• 7584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:19 AM

Grabbing them by hand seems like a pretty good way to loose a finger or other body parts.
Those turtles are mean looking.

gotta grab the tail, or the shell by the tail. While trying to not get your hands cut up by thier nails/claws. I've picked a few off the road over the years to prevent them from getting run over. It's always interesting trying to handle them safely.
  • NRATC53, Lazygent, Mad Russian and 1 other like this

#17 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21170 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:23 AM

gotta grab the tail, or the shell by the tail. While trying to not get your hands cut up by thier nails/claws. I've picked a few off the road over the years to prevent them from getting run over. It's always interesting trying to handle them safely.

They coulda taken your arm off if they wanted to!

Attached Thumbnails

• mans-life-may-1957-cover-by-will-hulsey-www.jpg

• Mad Russian likes this

#18 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned

• 7584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:39 AM

They coulda taken your arm off if they wanted to!

Holy crow! I got lucky!! You just saved my life! :)

#19 Reddobe

Reddobe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 06:49 AM

Do it yourself youtube video on turtle hunting: Milton Crabapple is the best:
  • ben5555 and pelemoss like this

#20 brirodg

brirodg

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Locationsuffolk

Posted July 04 2014 - 07:50 AM

I've been hunting since the minute I was old enough to legally participate. But I'm absolutely amazed that snapping turtle hunting on LI is actually a thing.

And how does a size limit work when hunting with a shotgun? If it measures 11-1/2" after you've removed it's head with with an ounce of lead, what do you do? It's a little late to throw it back.

I know that the three point rule is tough to deal with for deer in some areas upstate, but other than that are there any other hunting regs that are based on a measurement?
  • BLAMMO likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unique, hunting, question, long, island, snapping, turtle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users