Cosmoline Removal - Page 2 - Milsurp [Rifles] - Long Island Firearms

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Cosmoline Removal

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Sean

Sean

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDemocratic Peoples Republik of New York

Posted November 19 2011 - 06:38 PM

I used Simple Green to strip the grease off a SMLE stock and also leaving it on the deck in the sun and letting the solar heat leach it out. Not the fastest method, but the Simple Green is less worrisome than Solvents like Acetone or using Easy-Off.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 free2scour

free2scour

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3605 posts
  • LocationLake Ronkonkoma, NY

Posted November 19 2011 - 06:44 PM

I used mineral spirits on the metal parts and a couple applications of a "citrus gel" to remove everything from the stock prior to refinishing.

#23 sniper

sniper

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 83 posts

Posted November 20 2011 - 09:08 PM

will mineral spirits hurt the wood finish?

not sure but it does a good squeeky clean job and it dosent hurt the plastic i also drop my mags in it once in a while. It drys real fast when you take the parts out and leaves the stainless real clean and shiny then i coat lightly with gun oil. You want to use rubber gloves it drys the heck out of your skin, try to get the distilled typs of mineral oil, like if i am out of a particular type of gun oil and try another i use the mineral spirits so as if the oils are not compatable. overkill im sure but my babies are worth it. i rarely dont clean after every range trip at least i do the basic field strip type cleaning, i hate a dirty gun

#24 kaluce

kaluce

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 181 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 04:01 PM

I +1 the simple green + boiling water for metal parts. it's how i cleaned my Mosin. so much easier to clean that way. dunking all the metal parts in, I took them all out after 5 minutes, and immediately dried and oiled them one at a time after removing them from the solution worked like a charm. only hassle was finding and filling a bin that can hold that much boiling water.

#25 The Robfather

The Robfather

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 7310 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 04:05 PM

i find cosmoline best served chilled with a light fish dish and assorted fresh greens.  

#26 BKLYN_C

BKLYN_C

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1987 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 04:34 PM

You can also pee on it. The urine contains lots of minerals and solt and acids. The urine when it exits your body is warm which soften the cosmoline and the chemicals finish the cleaning process. Then you just rinse with fresh water and wipe dry.
This trick we were told on the very first day in army by our senior comrades.  
  • Mr.Rmz likes this

#27 Infidel13

Infidel13

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 319 posts

Posted November 21 2011 - 04:41 PM

I used Simple Green to strip the grease off a SMLE stock and also leaving it on the deck in the sun and letting the solar heat leach it out. Not the fastest method, but the Simple Green is less worrisome than Solvents like Acetone or using Easy-Off.

This! Even the guys from the American Gunsmithing Institute recommend lots of hot water, simple green and toothbrush. Add some elbow grease and you are set.

#28 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 7262 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 21 2011 - 05:22 PM

I +1 the simple green + boiling water for metal parts. it's how i cleaned my Mosin. so much easier to clean that way. dunking all the metal parts in, I took them all out after 5 minutes, and immediately dried and oiled them one at a time after removing them from the solution worked like a charm. only hassle was finding and filling a bin that can hold that much boiling water.

+1 on the boiling water and rags, Maybe a little simple green, Mo better than caustic smelly solvents.

#29 jamesbeat

jamesbeat

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 101 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 07:28 PM

I favor the dishwasher method, but large parts don't always fit.
My latest go-to is a 50/50 mixture of barbecue lighter fluid (which I believe is kerosene) and ATF.
You can make half a gallon of this stuff for under $10.

I leave parts to soak overnight, and the cosmoline is completely gone by morning, even the stuff that has turned to varnish.
The best part is that it completely gets rid of the smell, unlike the heat methods.

For wood, I use easy off oven cleaner, but this strips the finish too.

#30 Number 6

Number 6

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 659 posts
  • LocationFrom behind the liberal curtain

Posted December 12 2011 - 07:38 PM

I broke down the Mosin to individual parts and then used a handheld clothes steamer. It worked great on the wood and did not hurt the finish. I heated up the stock and immediately wiped down with a rag - the cosmo came right off. I did the same with all the metal parts, with additional steps. For the small parts, I let them soak in a little Hoppes #9. For the receiver and barrel, I used the kitchen sink filled with hot water and really good anti-grease diswashing detergent. I dipped the metal parts and scrubbed with an old toothbrush.

After drying with a lint free cloth, I let air dry for a couple of days before assembling and oiling.
  • rubbermittens likes this

#31 jamesbeat

jamesbeat

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 101 posts

Posted December 12 2011 - 08:15 PM

OT: number 6, love the name and that avatar :)
Be seeing you...

#32 Camper88

Camper88

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 117 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:17 PM

My 1st Mosin will arrive next Wednesday. I'm going to try hot soapy water on the outside and gumout dwon the barrel. I'll post the result or lack of, next week.

#33 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:38 PM

Ahhh, racking the bolt and hearing something like you just pulled your boot out of a muddy trail. Yuck.

#34 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 22005 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted April 12 2012 - 08:48 PM

My 1st Mosin will arrive next Wednesday. I'm going to try hot soapy water on the outside and gumout dwon the barrel. I'll post the result or lack of, next week.

Leave the hot soapy water for washing yourself. Buy a large bottle of Hoppes, and some cheap rags from an autoparts store or Harbor Freight, old T-shirts work well too, q-tips,  and toothpicks may come in handy too.
Strip the gun, and I mean everything! Clean the steel parts with carb cleaner or Hoppes. Clean the wood with Hoppes. It will not damage the wood like hot water may. Wear rubber gloves and clean outside.
Carb cleaner will strip the metal dry, so you have to oil everything again.

#35 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3332 posts

Posted April 12 2012 - 09:45 PM

So would.penetrating lube be good for removing cosmoline, or how about a bath in marvel mystery oil? Perhaps ronsol?

#36 DanHS

DanHS

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2439 posts
  • LocationCalverton

Posted April 12 2012 - 10:16 PM

I used a bunch of paper towels. Stripped the gun entirely apart, wiped everything clean with paper towels. Wiped the wood with slightly moistened paper towels. Good enough for me. Why bother removing every last molecule of cosmoline, you need to regularly clean and re-oil the metal anyway. Plus I like the way it smells :)

#37 clashfan24

clashfan24

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 73 posts

Posted May 25 2012 - 02:10 PM

When your significant other goes out, run it though the dishwasher.. 8)

LOL

#38 Saleen4971

Saleen4971

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 03:08 PM

i jsut cleaned the surface of the wood, then thoroughly cleaned all metal parts with rubbing alcohol, then put about 60 rounds through it and watched it all bubble out. as soon as i got home, i wiped it down again. after the 2nd range trip, i dont see or feel any cosmoline anymore.

#39 ASSAULTFUN

ASSAULTFUN

I'm begging to be banned!

• Established Member
  • 1135 posts

Posted June 13 2012 - 03:43 PM

9/10 times i opt to just leave the cosmo and add some oil and forget about the gun for another 50 years.

#40 The Idiocracy

The Idiocracy

I'm a Michigander now.

• Donated Member
  • 5170 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 02 2013 - 10:36 PM

Engine degreaser. Works like a charm. It's oil based so it doesn't hurt the wood. I figured that out after I got some bad advise on cleaning the stock with steam. You can guess that the stock was promptly ruined. I just refinished, came out nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users