Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Steel cased

820 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Organix 
#1 ·
Is anyone using steel cased rifle ammo in leiu of brass for the time being since it seems to be more readily available?What results are you seeing?I had some Hornady steel cased match 308 I was using in a bolt action Savage and it performed well but not sure how it would function in any semi-autos.

#3 ·
I shot hundreds of rounds of Russian steel cased through my ARs, my M1 carbine, my CZ75 without any hiccups at all. I found in the AR it was just a little less powerful as although it cycled fine, it dropped about three inches low at 100 yards. However it was more accurate than the Winchester white box I used the same day. I have seen it written that Russian steel is only slightly harder than brass.

#5 ·
Steel casings in a gun designed for brass is more of a problem in smaller, lighter semi-auto handguns. Steel and brass have different coefficients of expansion, so ejection becomes an issue. Also, there can (and most likely will be) head space issues which will effect precision accuracy. that shouldn't matter much if you are not shooting bench-rest competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.