Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Calverton - what do I need to bring?

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  BobOfTheFuture 
#1 ·
Hi all, I haven't been shooting since I was a kid in the 70's. Back then we would go to a local indoor range for .22 target shooting. When I was a kid we also used to spend the summers in Flanders, and one summer we did go to Calverton to shoot, but that was a long time ago. Me and my uncle were the only people there that day and we had the place to ourselves. I don't remember any range officer or anything like that. I have looked at the range etiquette videos posted here to learn from those.

I have a .22 on order from Buds, hopefully it will be here in a week or two, so I will be heading back to Calverton when that arrives, really looking forward to it.

My question is, what do I need to bring to have a good day at Calverton beside the firearm and some ammo for me and my wife?

- ear protection for both?

- 2 chairs? Are there benches or places to sit at each station?

- I'm assuming there is some kind of table or bench that each station can shoot from?

- staple gun for paper targets? (I have to research where to buy targets)

- binoculars or a cheap harbor freight spotting scope?

I will be checking the sights the first day so I will need some kind of make-shift bench rest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
I suggest a mat to throw over the bench. My rifle carries a scar from a nail that was sticking out of one of their bench tops. It's just one reason I'm not going back to Calverton.

If you happen to have string trimmer line, a piece of it that's long enough to be visible by a Range Office going in the breech and out the bore is a great way to get brownie points at each cease fire on an outdoor range.

#3 ·
there is literally nothing there, and sometimes the porta potties aren't even available. In addition to what you listed, bring a large sheet or two or corrugated cardboard since at times if its crowded the only available stakes have no backboard to speak of. Bring a knife to poke a hole in each corner and some cheap cord to tie the sheet to the stakes. double up on hearing protection, plugs plus ear muffs. HFT stuff is OK. As said above, bring a couple of small pieces of carpet or old towels to put down on the wooden benches to avoid splinters. bring a boat cushion or something like it as the plastic chairs or logs to sit on are either too low or uncomfortable. Rolled up old blanket or towels will suffice for a bench rest. Along with the staple gun bring some push pins or duct tape, just in case, for backup.

#5 ·
Calverton hasn’t changed much since the 70’s. lol. The only thing I noticed different is there is an elevated range officer booth at the rifle range. I also just went there last week for the first time in over 20 years. I couldn’t believe it was exactly the same I remembered it. Same benches and brass on the ground. Doh!

#6 ·
The place is a virtual dump with very little to offer other than a legal place to shoot outdoors on L.I. It's a shame that with all the dedicated shooters living on LI that we don't have a good outdoor range available to the public. Even an affordable private club would be nice.

I belong to two private clubs, one in PA and one upstate NY. They are both GREAT places to shoot and are never crowded. Shoot on most weekday mornings and you may have the whole place to yourself. I could drive an hour to shoot at Calverton for whatever they currently charge per day, or I can drive 2 hours upstate and shoot an a really nice facility that charges $100 for the entire year. We also have 300yd & 400yd backstops. I'll deal with the longer drive which I do almost every week.

Calverton has no local competition so that can offer you very little and charge you top dollar every day.

#7 ·
You should also look into the Islip town range. Although it has very limited days and hours, Saturdays are one of them or at least they were. If you live in the town of Islip its a steal for you. However, it has yet to reopen because of the china virus. Charlie-Ny makes a good point about the economics of Calverton, but even though I am in Nassau (and go to the indoor range in Uniondale for four bucks as military, now as a senior) I can still make five trips to Calverton for that membership price and without tolls and additional gas. and quite honestly, with so many other hobbies, fishing kayaking swimming hunting boating etc., I rarely go to Calverton more than twice a year anyway.

#17 ·
the town owned range is Ok but im tired of them being so bossy and hearing no rapid fire! they think who they are. Im all about safety but calm down for christ sake.
When Harry decides to sell the land for condos there will be no fire at all,it may not be Utopia but I take the bad with the good and usually have a decent day. IMHO

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, finally made it to calverton yesterday, Monday 8/31. Got there around 10:10, cars were moving in, and I got on the back of the line just outside the gate. Just before I got there I realized I forgot the fancy electronic ear muffs I bought, and I also forgot the targets!

I stopped at 3 hardware stores on the way in to try and buy a staple gun, but everyone was out of stock. I had some tape as a backup. When I got to the gate I asked if they sold ear plugs, answer was yes so I was committed to going in. Only spot left when I got in was a 200 yard spot, so I took it.

I went up to the trailer shop and got some foam ear plugs, some targets and some thumbtacks. The line was already hot when I got back so I waited. It was a nice day and people were friendly.

The foam earplugs took the edge off of the noise, but I was surprised by the intensity of some of the blasts, and the muzzle breaks sending some of that sideways.

I was foolishly shooting a .22 at 200 yards, on an unsighted gun, with iron sights. I really couldn't tell even where things where hitting at all. After each round/ceasefire, I tried holding higher to get out there. I think I hit the target only once, before I only had a bunch of .22 shorts left. I don't think those reached out to 200 yards at all.

My wife called and cut my day short, so I did not wait around for a 50 yard spot to open. Next time I have to get nearer to the front of the line in the morning or just go in the afternoon, when it seems like the morning crowd starts leaving.

The best part of the day was when the guy next to me with an M1A1 let me shoot 5 rounds just before I left. Those where the only shots of the day that hit my target.

I hope to be better prepared next time!

#20 ·
I forgot to mention one guy got thrown out. After the RO asked for Vet donations, as people walked over to him, some in front of the line, the last guy on the left #1 thought the line was hot again and he took a shot. It was an older guy, just not paying attention enough. The RO threw him out, said never come back. I felt bad for the guy but I can see there is no room for error, everyone has to be alert.

In general I felt people were safe and cooperative. Big variety of firearms. Someone had a suppressed AK. Lots of bolt actions with "features". Only iron sights I saw were on 2 M1A1s.

#21 ·
Range Checklist

"Blue bag" w/ yellow binder, tools

Plastic box w/ 2 Recoil pads, 2 pair ear muffs, Shooting glasses, knee and elbow pads, cleaning kit w/ some patches, Brass catchers

Tripod shooting rest

Spotting Scope, ( 10X Binoculars, optional )

Ammunition for each firearm, in ammo boxes

Preloaded mags for each firearm, in plastic boxes

Stapler, staples, push pins, duct tape, string

Target sheets for rifle and pistol, Large Corrugated Cardboard sheets,

Food , drink in cooler

Clay thrower, clays,

12 ga. & 20 ga.shotshells, 3 boxes ea.

Pistol case, all long guns hard cased.

Belt, Holster for CCW, baseball cap

Granted, this is for an all day Calverton "event" and with the prices Harry charges for shooting clays I may as well delete those two lines.

#25 ·
For non clay areas, are there any restrictions at Calverton for shotgun loads like at Mitchel Field (only slugs permitted)? Can fire 00 buck etc ?
I recall that they dont want you to use anything but slugs at the rifle side. They said that the buckshot destroys the target holders.

There is a shotgun field that you can use birdshot (I dont know about buckshot).

#26 ·
I've been to Calverton about 10 times since my first post. It seems like people shoot whatever they want from shotguns on the rifle side from what I have seen. I was there 2 days ago and the guy next to me on the 50 yard line shot birdshot at his target, a few of the pellets hit my targets.

I am not sure what the rules are but that is what I have seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.