Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

after how many rounds do you clean your handguns??

after how many rounds do you clean your handguns

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 SHOmestyle

SHOmestyle

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 503 posts

Posted May 13 2014 - 10:05 AM

My Glocks get cleaned maybe every 1k-1500 rounds. That's probably wayy too soon lol

In classes we see 1911's start having serious difficulties around the 200 round mark usually (not always, but often enough to notice a pattern), so a 1911 if used for HD should probably be cleaned after every range trip. If you have 1911 mags that have been dropped in the sand, make sure you clean them thoroughly too.

Edited by SHOmestyle, May 13 2014 - 10:07 AM.

• vmtcmt, Edward_Blake and FULL METAL JACKET like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#62 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted May 13 2014 - 11:47 AM

You can do this??

why not? isnt the inside of a dishwasher just like a rain storm? i expect my glock to function in any weather conditions. it should be fine after the dishwasher. (top rack only, perhaps?

#63 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12,524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted May 13 2014 - 12:36 PM

I hate cleaning guns...

Me too.

Just get an AK pistol. No need to ever clean again.

AKA a Glock

My Glocks get cleaned maybe every 1k-1500 rounds. That's probably wayy too soon lol

Probably.

How many rounds between cleanings? I dunno. Not sure how many rounds it takes until the mag doesn't seat. :)
  • Edward_Blake, malakaguy, FULL METAL JACKET and 2 others like this

#64 RMHZ

RMHZ

Respected Gunowner

• 100 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted May 15 2014 - 09:56 PM

With all respect...

It's all fun and games until they don't work when you need them.

Train as you fight.

Those that know... do.
Those that don't... don't.

YMMV
  • M14 Shooter likes this

#65 Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,180 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 11:12 PM

Happy I saw this thread. It reminded me that I need to clean my Glock 26 and one of my Beretta 92Fs pistols; I shot them at the range recently. I used to clean my guns pretty much immediately after shooting, either at the range or when I got home from the range. As I got older, I got lazier and sometimes I have not cleaned them that soon after shooting. Getting better though, I have been cleaning them right after the range with more frequency lately. Does not matter how many rounds get fired through them. I also clean them at least 3 to 4 times a year as general maintenance, whether they have been fired or not; I take them out of storage, check them over and clean them.

#66 Nazz315430

Nazz315430

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 387 posts
  • LocationOyster Bay

Posted December 02 2014 - 11:05 AM

I clean mine after every use. Doesn't matter how many rounds I put through them.
I like keeping them clean and lubed.

Nazz315430

#67 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,960 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 11:31 AM

Clean? I own a Glock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• Glockwash.jpg

#68 NYPathfinder

NYPathfinder

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 299 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 11:46 AM

cleaning? what is that?

#69 Strider

Strider

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,217 posts

Posted December 02 2014 - 11:47 AM

I prefer to think how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Charms Pop.
  • rlitman likes this

#70 Skywalker

Skywalker

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 117 posts

Posted February 17 2017 - 10:29 AM

After each use.

Cleaning is all part of the hobby.  Just like keeping my sailboat in "ship shape", its part of the routine.

• pequa1 likes this

#71 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,355 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted February 17 2017 - 11:15 AM

If you carry concealed it's a good idea to clean it every week as lint and other dirt and dust may find it's way and gunk up on the lube causing a possible malfunction. Revolvers that are carried seem attract the most dirt from my experience. Good idea to bring a cleaning kit with you at the range and clean the Firearms. The Glock striker polymer pistols seem to work best. I have seen many high end quality 1911 type pistols malfunction on the firing line during a class. Funny that the instructors would comment if you can't properly clean and maintain a 1911 buy a Glock.

#72 WTF All Day

WTF All Day

Respected Gunowner

• 131 posts
  • LocationSeaford

Posted February 17 2017 - 12:10 PM

Glock guy but I still clean 'em after every other range session. 200 rounds through one would be the max I would go though I know I could wait so much longer. It's therapeutic and relaxing.

#73 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,530 posts

Posted February 17 2017 - 04:53 PM

....When the zombies stop charging....

#74 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• 3,589 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted February 17 2017 - 06:23 PM

When they stop working.

#75 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,097 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted February 17 2017 - 08:56 PM

After i stop them or when they stop going boom..

I put 500 round though a 1911 one weekend and didnt clean it till I got home with no issue.

#76 Nose Dive

Nose Dive

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted April 28 2017 - 11:41 PM

Gee.. YOU GUYS ARE "SUMPIN" FOR SURE!!!

I shoot alot of milsurp and clean after each session.  Milsurp is CORROSIVE...OH GOD!!! OH GOD!!!  There it is!  I said it!! CORROSIVE!!!  

OK guys...settle down...settle down.   "CORROSIVE" is negated by....here it is...ready?....Ready?...Wait for it....Wait for it.... WATER!  Gee.. I'm going to bed.....

Yep...a simple, few water swabs will take care of the CORROSIVE ammo residue with no issues....the water will hydrolyze the salts and acids and BINGO BIG BOY!! your barrel and action of your 8MM, 7.62x39, 7.62x25 TOK will be in fine condition....  Yep...a little water wash is all you need for the CORROSIVE ammo...OH GOD!! A few water swabs.. a few DAWN SOAP water solution swabs....OK..OK...do some HOPPES....Do some ...here we go again!... GLASS CLEANER from Dollar Store! I spray some Dollar Store glass cleaner down the supplied 'spray tube' while I am at the range....spray it good...pointed down and down range...Swab out with a barrel brush and rod... dry with paper towel...spray WD40...or cheapest oil spray I can find....pack up....go home.... 

OK?  Milsurp in my MILSURP firearms are covered...as above....no... my 'store bought' arm...rifles and pistols... 

Now kids...I RELOAD ALL MY HUNTING ROUNDS... IMR...HOGDON...gun powders...that is about all I use any more.  NOT CORROSIVE.   So...now what?  (OK..caught me in a LIE.. I make and shoot my own BLACK POWDER in my BP pistols...again..water...but..need more on BP..but not here)

I shoot only BARNES X...BERGERS...ALL COPPER BULLETS...no lead in my rifles anymore.... (can write an article on this...but not here, no now)

So...only issue is copper and powder residue.   AMMONIA,,,HOPPES...ED's RED...is what I use... "ED's RED" is home grown...go to CAST BOOLITS...

search my moniker...NOSE DIVE...provide 'my' recipe.... It helps with lead fouling too....

Now...if "JOE BOB"  gave you a rifle and it is 'dirty'.... soak in Ed's Red...scrub... ELECTRO CLEAN... again...can read on CAST BOOLITS sight on how

to do this...with  home made tools....and it works.... ...Grand Dad gave my dad a old 22....Dad used it for UMPTEEN years...my brother got it...same thing ...shoot it for 20 years...NO ONE CLEANED THE BARREL... I got it..in a few pieces and after a few dollars and few weeks at the rifle smith....I got it back...

Soaked barrel in ED's Red...scrubbed with 22 calb barrel brush... the 'electro cleaned' with my KIT and scrubbed again... GUESS WHAT...leading gone..

barrel in good shape and rifle is now ready for my grand son...  

So...agree with fellas above...pistol barrels are more foregiving... need to keep things clean after EVERY SHOOTING of Corrosive stuff... Don't put firearms back in the rack to be 'safe' and ready until "NEXT YEAR".... 

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good.  Kindly pick two. 

#77 only7rounds

only7rounds

Sharp Shooter!

• 373 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted April 29 2017 - 12:00 AM

Carry gun(s) get cleaned every time fired.

Others, meh.

Camp carbine every time or no workee.

• MikeM likes this

#78 Nordon

Nordon

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,165 posts
  • LocationEast Northport, not far from Brooklyn

Posted April 29 2017 - 07:29 AM

Simple wipe down, boiling water down the barrel, followed by thin oil apply,field strip like every 1000

Edited by Nordon, April 29 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#79 Localx

Localx

Respected Gunowner

• 226 posts

Posted April 29 2017 - 08:39 PM

Clean my 686 every time it's fired.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: after, how, many, rounds, do, you, clean, your, handguns

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users