Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Basement heater

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 DIRTBIKEZ

DIRTBIKEZ

Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 663 posts

Posted September 30 2015 - 01:46 PM

^ more efficient than electric baseboard??? Do tell. ;)

Electric heat is the most expensive method on Long Island.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 948 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted October 10 2015 - 04:26 PM

+1 fir the Mitsubishi mini split system

#43 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,472 posts

Posted October 10 2015 - 05:16 PM

When I moved into my house it had a mono flow tee system and Slant Fin baseboard throughout the house. The basement isnt finished but its clean and the floor and walls are painted. There was an old cast iron radiator along the north wall that was hooked into the system. The basement was always warm.
I started having issues with the mono flow system. The radiators kept getting air bound. I was constantly bleeding air out of the line. Finally I had a plumber come over and replace the copper with a loop system. Its worked fine ever since. I think the plumber said something about the tees being in wrong. I dont know, Im not a plumber.

After I had everything changed the basement was a lot cooler in the winter. They plumber left the old cast iron radiator out of the system. Dont really remember why but he did have a reason at the time. About 5 years ago I had another plumber come over and tie into the main line to get the old radiator back into the loop. That old radiator heats up the whole basement.

Look around on CL for an old style cast iron radiator. I painted mine a dark gray. Its clean, and it throws off a HUGE amount of heat. Just an idea that wont be too expensive.

#44 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted October 12 2015 - 09:03 PM

More efficient in terms of residual heat.
They are ceramic panels with electric elements embedded.
They retain and continue to give off heat when turned off for a while.
Before I remodeled, I had 2000 watts of electric baseboard heating the room.
Now, I heat the same room with 800 watts of these panels.
With the electric baseboard, you get a blast of heat, then off, a blast of heat then off.
I find the heat panels keep a consistent temperature in the room.
Upstate, electric is a lot cheaper than down here.

#45 DIRTBIKEZ

DIRTBIKEZ

Not a participant of the LIF circle jerk.

• Club LIF Member

• 663 posts

Posted October 13 2015 - 08:34 AM

More efficient in terms of residual heat.
They are ceramic panels with electric elements embedded.
They retain and continue to give off heat when turned off for a while.
Before I remodeled, I had 2000 watts of electric baseboard heating the room.
Now, I heat the same room with 800 watts of these panels.
With the electric baseboard, you get a blast of heat, then off, a blast of heat then off.
I find the heat panels keep a consistent temperature in the room.
Upstate, electric is a lot cheaper than down here.

More comfortable sure, same efficiency. :picknose

#46 will sinclair

will sinclair

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationottowa

Posted March 14 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think the best solution is space heaters.
I have Lasko Ceramic heater . This is a great heater! We use it to heat the living area of our RV. The living area is approximately 26' x 10' with normal height ceilings. We've tried a few different compact room heaters, but they were too small to heat the area and also way too noisy. We've had the heater about 4 months now. Since we are staying in cooler climates, we've used it almost every night (overnight).

The best features about this heater are:
- It's QUIET!!!
Really!! We have tried many heaters in our RV and house over the years and they tend to be so noisy. The model we tried before purchasing the Lasko was so noisy we had to crank the tv volume up to hear over it. This Lasko seems to be about as quiet as a fan could be.

- It has an automatic thermostat you can set. I found great and informational reviews about it on http://www.spaceheatercenter.com/

I am using Lasko Ceramic Space Heater too and I completely agree that it is one of the best heater on the market . With a ceramic heating element, the Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat is a handy portable appliance that will be reliable and durable for many years to come.

The heater function allows you to choose from 1500-watt full power or you could choose the lower 900-watt power setting if you only want a gentle amount of heat. When the weather improves, there’s no need to need to put this appliance away. You can turn off the heat altogether and simply use it as a fan. All three of these settings are quiet and don’t produce an unpleasant amount of noise.

The thermostat on the side of the heater will ensure that your room stays the desired temperature and it automatically shuts off the heat and then powers it back up again as it needs to.

#47 M-1 Carbine

M-1 Carbine

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationBayshore

Posted March 14 2017 - 10:06 AM

If you only want to heat. How about an electric fireplace they sell at H.D or the big box stores. They look great and with a fan forced heater, work very well. You can get one for under $300. if you shop around. Just plug it in.

You beat me to it richrx!

Morn. bio2431, I have one of these it will not persay "heat" but it will take the chill out of the air and don't forget Children have young blood and probably won't mind it. Besides you are giving them there own little world down there. Just a thought, do you have a dehumidifier down there? when I was running mine in the basement it did a pretty good job taking the chill out of the air.

#48 bill3rail

bill3rail

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 103 posts
  • LocationLI

Posted March 14 2017 - 05:26 PM

small Pellet stove would be cheapest electric slow and expensive on usage.You can run another zone off boiler?

small Pellet stove would be cheapest electric slow and expensive on usage.You can run another zone off boiler?

Pellet stove is slow to heat up, but very safe.  A child could load and start one with no problem.

I use one daily in a Ranch style home and it is great.  If I find a cheap used on, I would install it in my basement.

England's Stove Works makes a workhorse of pellet stove.  Reliable, reasonably priced and efficient. 

Bill

#49 fenucho

fenucho

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationAdirondaks

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:27 AM

This thread is 18 months old.

You realize that your replies are irrelevant at this point, don't you?

Although, it would have been nice if the OP would have stated his final purchase.

#50 M-1 Carbine

M-1 Carbine

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationBayshore

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:40 AM

This thread is 18 months old.

You realize that your replies are irrelevant at this point, don't you?

Although, it would have been nice if the OP would have stated his final purchase.

Oops, still make this mistake after all this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users