Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Basement heater

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:22 PM

Need suggestions for a heater for my basement. It is half finished. The finished half is the baby's playroom. There is no heat in the basement and we just upgraded to a high efficiency boiler which puts off NO heat.

Looking for a heater that works fairly quickly. Like if it's freezing down there and my daughter decides it's time to play, we can switch it on and it will start working immediately. I have an oil filled heater down there but even turning it on 2 hours before going down, it's still freezing. Finished area is about 400 sq ft. Thinking about a heater with a fan? Infrared?

Not looking to spend a lot. Installing an actual radiator is not an option at this point.

Thanks in advance!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 lynyrd

lynyrd

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,375 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:34 PM

Back in the 80's I used to do work in my parent's garage. I had a Kerosene heater. By itself it did nothing to heat up the garage. It was when I put a big pot of water on top of it that it would heat up the garage. And it did it fast too.

Paul

#3 Paté

Paté

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 38,956 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:41 PM

I put a NG heater in my garage. Heats 700+ sq feet (12' ceilings) in minutes.

#4 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 6,244 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:43 PM

small Pellet stove would be cheapest electric slow and expensive on usage.You can run another zone off boiler?

Edited by Ransom, January 23 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#5 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:53 PM

I was looking for more of a plug in option at this point. Don't have the money to plumb an actual radiator or heater.

#6 xm15pilot

xm15pilot

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Donated Member

• 500 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:56 PM

I put in a Fujitsu mini-split AC system with the heat option. Best investment I ever made. Super efficient and the heat and AC are awesome. The heat works very quickly, which you are looking for.
  • CAP1974, Crazyeyes and Huntington Guy like this

#7 lynyrd

lynyrd

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,375 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 04:57 PM

http://www.walmart.c...6293516&veh=sem

Paul

#8 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3,189 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:00 PM

What type of heat do you have for the rest of your house? We have gas fired forced air with A/C. The lower zone plant was in the basement, I bought a zone splitter (control panel) and installed power duct vents and flex ducting through the drop ceiling. Wired in a thermostat - when the basement calls for heat, the zone controller shuts the upstairs duct off and opens the ducts for the basement. Ie: uses the first floor system for the basement and I also have a air conditioned basement! Overall very inexpensive solution works fine, I had to replace one of the 6" round power vents
But after 6-7 years everything else has been flawless.

#9 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:01 PM

I was looking for more of a plug in option at this point. Don't have the money to plumb an actual radiator or heater.

Then it doesn't really matter. You can get 1800W out of an outlet. No electric heater will deliver more than 1800W, and at that wattage, it's all pretty much going to heat the room at the same rate.

Radiant electric heaters will not heat the room any faster than anything else, however because you feel the radiant heat, they may make the room feel warmer than it actually is, IF you're withing the "beam". I use one in my garage, and it helps just a touch.

I would absolutely not use an unvented kerosene heater inside my living space, and certainly not in a play room.
A vented kerosene heater will cost you more than plumbing in a new radiator. That being said, I have a detached garage, and I love my Monitor heater. Getting natural gas out there, or running a radiator off my boiler was just not an option.

A pellet stove is an interesting idea, but a proper vent stack for it is pretty spendy, and not doing it right can be very dangerous.
Oh, and bags of pellets themselves generate carbon monoxide (without even being burned). They cannot be stored indoors.
  • Captain Will likes this

#10 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,244 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:03 PM

A high output heater with a good fan to push the heat but a real good one will cost a few bucks. Then at 120v is tough you may need to get a 220v which then you'll need to run a line.

Edited by Ransom, January 23 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#11 Djcubinlinx

Djcubinlinx

Get'er dun

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,079 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:03 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22144243?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3&adid=22222222227016993432&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35708648556&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=52906293516&veh=sem

Paul

I'm looking to get ride of mine if your interested

#12 Beaker

Beaker

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 505 posts
  • LocationWorking in the pits of hell!

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:05 PM

Maybe a large (if you can have an outlet put in for it) electric fan-forced ceiling mount (so the kids can't reach it) electric heater
is all you need for intermittent heat.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000TK2SWO

#13 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, I'm realizing now that anything plugged into a wall outlet ain't gonna work. We have hot water heat in the house. Def don't have money to put in another zone. Electric will be best option I think. The panel is actually in the playroom. Maybe one of those garage type ones will work. Don't want it to be too noisy though.

#14 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,244 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:10 PM

Space heaters are tough maybe look at some garage heaters maybe something like this read the reviews
http://www.bestcover...electric-heater

Edited by Ransom, January 23 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#15 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• 3,587 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:22 PM

A Rinnai heater may work for you. I use one in the garage to load with and in the house when way cold to supplement. There are different sizes and are non venting and venting ones. If you can get a copper tube out side and hook up a Hundred pound tank ,it should last the winter or two, Instant heat and programable. You are welcome to look at mine in action.

#16 mvphilly

mvphilly

Sharp Shooter!

• 368 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have hte Eden Pure heater and it works great.Had it 5 years now and no problems at all.

#17 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• 1,908 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 23 2014 - 05:53 PM

Do you have oil heat, or gas in your house?

#18 cs109

cs109

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:10 PM

Try this, i have one in my Kids room that doesn't have enough baseboard. it works really good.

http://www.eheat.com/

It's not going to heat it really fast.. Any thing that heats fast is going to use a lot of electric

Edited by cs109, January 23 2014 - 06:15 PM.

• fenucho likes this

#19 bio2431

bio2431

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationWestern Nassau

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:12 PM

Gas heat

#20 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:14 PM

We are looking at Mitsubishi mini-split systems for the 2 extensions on the back of my house. Not super expensive, very efficient and they work quickly and well. Energy rebates and tax credits eligible too.
  • CAP1974 and xm15pilot like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users