Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Thumbs down for Campsite Sport Shop

thumbs down for campsite sport shop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#41 Objectivist

Objectivist

Borders, Language, Culture

• Established Member
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted November 19 2013 - 07:04 AM

Directly from their website:

Incoming Transfers:
Used Handgun: $55.00
Used Long Gun: $45.00
Any New Firearm: $100.00

Outgoing Transfers:
Handgun: $55.00 transfer fee + $40.00 Overnight Shipping + Insurance Fees
Long Gun: $45.00 transfer fee + $20.00 Ground Shipping + Insurance Fees

Just wanted to follow up with my recent experience. I ordered a mini-14 from them & put down $100 deposit. I then found one on GunBroker for less money & no wait compared to 3 to 6 month wait for new order. I picked up the mini from Paul at CampSite yesterday & he told me that he didn't think it was fair to charge the full FFL fee since he couldn't get me the rifle in a timely fashion.

So, I bought supplies instead of receiving a refund of my deposit & threw in $20 for the FFL transfer. On top of that, Paul gave me tips on how to clean & operate the mini as I'm not familiar with it.

I also brought my wife with me & he did pay a lot of attention to her which I thought was great because 1) I'd like to get her more comfortable around firearms & 2) she could appreciate my enthusiam for them. My wife thought Paul was great. Not condescending at all & she said that may even come with me to the range.

I found my firearms home & it's one of the few situations where I would rather buy locally than online since I want to pick people's brains that know more than I do & I think it's important to keep the local stores in business in this political climate. I mean without the local gun shop, we wouldn't even be able to get FFL transfers on many weapons if we only had the Big Box stores as an option.

Edited by ironbull45, November 19 2013 - 07:05 AM.

• 38 sup likes this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7,584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted November 19 2013 - 07:25 AM

Nice place (sometimes), but a little over priced.

#43 nybocce

nybocce

Bocce & Bullets - Booyah!

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,516 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:27 AM

Just wanted to follow up with my recent experience. I ordered a mini-14 from them & put down $100 deposit. I then found one on GunBroker for less money & no wait compared to 3 to 6 month wait for new order. I picked up the mini from Paul at CampSite yesterday & he told me that he didn't think it was fair to charge the full FFL fee since he couldn't get me the rifle in a timely fashion.

So, I bought supplies instead of receiving a refund of my deposit & threw in $20 for the FFL transfer. On top of that, Paul gave me tips on how to clean & operate the mini as I'm not familiar with it.

I also brought my wife with me & he did pay a lot of attention to her which I thought was great because 1) I'd like to get her more comfortable around firearms & 2) she could appreciate my enthusiam for them. My wife thought Paul was great. Not condescending at all & she said that may even come with me to the range.

I found my firearms home & it's one of the few situations where I would rather buy locally than online since I want to pick people's brains that know more than I do & I think it's important to keep the local stores in business in this political climate. I mean without the local gun shop, we wouldn't even be able to get FFL transfers on many weapons if we only had the Big Box stores as an option.

Great post Ironbull45... And that's the type of experience you get with the guys there especially with Paul. In my opinion, if you spend a little more there you'll definitely make out in the long run with advice, assistance (unrelated firearm inquiry's) and on your next purchase...

Everyone has bias towards "their" LGS vs online retail, its understandable in today's economy. As the OP already came around to understanding, giving a blanket forum thumbs down on Campsite or any LGS for a one time perceived snub is kind of reaching IMO... Unless its for Dick's! :)

Begin the Dick's bashing in 3,2,1...
  • SpeakSoftly and Objectivist like this

#44 Pam

Pam

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 89 posts

Posted August 25 2016 - 06:10 PM

We will need to see a pic of the wife to put this thread in context.

+1
  • rlitman likes this

#45 Pam

Pam

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 89 posts

Posted August 25 2016 - 06:50 PM

I also brought my wife with me & he did pay a lot of attention to her

Pictures

#46 VolkoSupply

VolkoSupply

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor

• 2,827 posts

Posted August 25 2016 - 07:52 PM

not only is this a zombie thread, but it's been brought back to life in a really creepy way.

-vick
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian, zzrguy and 4 others like this

#47 Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!

• Donated Member
  • 21,943 posts
  • LocationUltimate irony is admiring a foreign President more than your own!

Posted August 25 2016 - 08:31 PM

girl-with-big-boobs.jpg

Feel better? Pervs!
  • mason852, rlitman and William Anthony like this

#48 dank27

dank27

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 947 posts
  • LocationNassau County

Posted August 25 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hahahaha

#49 Beverly Sheckler

Beverly Sheckler

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted August 25 2016 - 08:43 PM

not only is this a zombie thread, but it's been brought back to life in a really creepy way.

-vick

Would it be out of line for a new gal like me to say that maybe this would have been better if it was brought back as a, Lets tell a story thread?
  • grifhunter likes this

#50 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted August 25 2016 - 08:49 PM

girl-with-big-boobs.jpg

Feel better? Pervs!

Oh Canada!
  • Mad Russian likes this

#51 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,702 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted August 25 2016 - 09:26 PM

girl-with-big-boobs.jpg

Feel better? Pervs!

Help her no way I would be slipping on my saliva
  • Mad Russian and 38 sup like this

#52 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,251 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted August 25 2016 - 09:30 PM

Campsite is one of my favorite gun shops on LI. Never had to drop the LIF for good service ever!
  • Mad Russian likes this

#53 DEUCE

DEUCE

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNot in the Crosshairs

Posted August 25 2016 - 09:41 PM

It looks like you are in Lindenhurst so Hunter Sports and South Shore Sportsman in Massapequa and Merrick respectively are probably closer and both are great. If you go to Hunter, Adam is always really helpful.

I was at South Shore Sportsman today with my wife and grandson,spoke with Mike,Nick,Stan and Joe. All good guys and they gave my grandson a Zombie poster.
  • NRATC53, Mad Russian, boosti and 1 other like this

#54 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 26 2016 - 08:31 AM

-vick

Funny how these things keep popping up

#55 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 10,468 posts

Posted August 26 2016 - 11:11 AM

Pictures

-vick

Nah - we never addressed the OP himself - did he bathe that week? that's one reason to avoid a customer.

#56 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,473 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted August 26 2016 - 11:39 AM

I was in there once.........unless you're one of the "good old boys", they ignore you

#57 set2374

set2374

Sharp Shooter!

• 451 posts
  • LocationEast Rockaway

Posted August 26 2016 - 01:07 PM

I was at South Shore Sportsman today with my wife and grandson,spoke with Mike,Nick,Stan and Joe. All good guys and they gave my grandson a Zombie poster.

I am glad you had a good experience at South Shore, but my experience with them was pretty lousy. I was there for the first time on Saturday (Aug 20) around 12pm. I was waiting out the county for about 10 minutes for someone to compe by to help me. A few guys walked in after me and this employee (big guy) came over to ask those guys if they needed help. Both of those guys said that I was there first. I asked about a couple of rifles that they had, in particular, a rifle that looked like a a sportorized saiga ak. The salesman told me in the most condescending tone that there is no such thing as a sportorized AK or any other NY legal AK and that what I was looking at was a semi-auto shotgun. I then asked to see what looked like a Kel Tec Su-16A (may have been a SU-22??). He asked me if I was LEO and when I told him I wasn't he told me than I can't see the gun since it's LEO only. At this point, I gave up. The guy acted like he wanted nothing to do with me. I have never seen a salesman do more to "NOT" make a sale. Not only did the guy have a nasty attitude, but he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Of course, there are NY compliant AKs (there's one advertised at the top banner on this forum as I write). Moreover, the SU-16A and B are both 100% Safe Act compliant. The shame of it is their prices on some of the guns I was interested in were pretty good, but I would rather pay a little more to buy from someone that knows their producy and treats me with a little respect. Maybe I just got unlucky by scoring the resident a---hole employee, so I might be opened to giving them another chance, but on this left a really bad taste in my mouth.

#58 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• 19,425 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted August 26 2016 - 01:38 PM

I am glad you had a good experience at South Shore, but my experience with them was pretty lousy. I was there for the first time on Saturday (Aug 20) around 12pm. I was waiting out the county for about 10 minutes for someone to compe by to help me. A few guys walked in after me and this employee (big guy) came over to ask those guys if they needed help. Both of those guys said that I was there first. I asked about a couple of rifles that they had, in particular, a rifle that looked like a a sportorized saiga ak. The salesman told me in the most condescending tone that there is no such thing as a sportorized AK or any other NY legal AK and that what I was looking at was a semi-auto shotgun. I then asked to see what looked like a Kel Tec Su-16A (may have been a SU-22??). He asked me if I was LEO and when I told him I wasn't he told me than I can't see the gun since it's LEO only. At this point, I gave up. The guy acted like he wanted nothing to do with me. I have never seen a salesman do more to "NOT" make a sale. Not only did the guy have a nasty attitude, but he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Of course, there are NY compliant AKs (there's one advertised at the top banner on this forum as I write). Moreover, the SU-16A and B are both 100% Safe Act compliant. The shame of it is their prices on some of the guns I was interested in were pretty good, but I would rather pay a little more to buy from someone that knows their producy and treats me with a little respect. Maybe I just got unlucky by scoring the resident a---hole employee, so I might be opened to giving them another chance, but on this left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Not a fan either.

#59 Mr. Shotgun

Mr. Shotgun

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationBehind Enemy Lines

Posted August 26 2016 - 05:24 PM

I recently bought a pistol from Paul at Campsite and got good service and immediate attention. I went in on a sunday afternoon while they were busy, walked up to the pistol counter and was immediately greeted. (I came in with my yellow pistol purchase authorization visibly in hand - so maybe thats what did it? lol)

The transaction was a smooth and pleasant one. While they were running my 4473 form and NICS check, and installing some upgrades on my pistol, another salesman showed me holsters and safes.

#60 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,959 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted August 26 2016 - 05:35 PM

I recently bought a pistol from Paul at Campsite and got good service and immediate attention. I went in on a sunday afternoon while they were busy, walked up to the pistol counter and was immediately greeted. (I came in with my yellow pistol purchase authorization visibly in hand - so maybe thats what did it? lol)

The transaction was a smooth and pleasant one. While they were running my 4473 form and NICS check, and installing some upgrades on my pistol, another salesman showed me holsters and safes.

I've always had a good dealing with them from fly fishing gear to guns and hunting stuff.
  • Mr. Shotgun likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thumbs, down, for, campsite, sport, shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users