Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Thumbs down for Campsite Sport Shop

thumbs down for campsite sport shop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#21 NavyVet85

NavyVet85

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:52 PM

20 pages minimum.

I'm not going to go back and forth with anyone about it. There's really not much left to be said.
The place has its fans which is why I took the trip out there. I'll give them another shot soon and leave
the wife at home this time. ;)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Objectivist

Objectivist

Borders, Language, Culture

• Established Member
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:53 PM

Went in there last week for the first time to put in my order for a mini 15. Young guy took my order & asked what I wanted to put down as a deposit as the order could take between 3 & 6 months to be completed.

I found almost the exact model on GunBroker for less money & could have it in a week. I emailed Paul to see if he could handle the FFL transfer. He said it was not a problem & I could use my deposit towards the FFL transfer. He also faxed the FFL license to the dealer almost immediately.

That's service!
  • Angel Eyes and 38 sup like this

#23 fsfty

fsfty

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,023 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yeah but how much are they charging for the FFL? If I remember correctly but I won't swear, they wanted $100 to transfer a handgun from Buds. Confirm anyone?

#24 Bender

Bender

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 952 posts
  • LocationNewyorkistan

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:05 PM

Usually it is $45 for a rifle.

#25 CommackBoy

CommackBoy

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7,713 posts
  • LocationCommack, NY

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:15 PM

It's the best store on Long Island, IMHO. This is a hunting season and it does get crazy at times.
  • Objectivist likes this

#26 Lemming

Lemming

Gun guru (poseur)

• Established Member
  • 6,177 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm not going to go back and forth with anyone about it. There's really not much left to be said.
The place has its fans which is why I took the trip out there. I'll give them another shot soon and leave
the wife at home this time. ;)

It doesn't matter. Once this sort of thread starts it takes on a life of its own. In a few pages it'll be onto Arby's, then drop kicks. A side bar through whether seeing a patrol car at a donut shop is LEO bashing......

#27 nybocce

nybocce

Bocce & Bullets - Booyah!

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,516 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:34 PM

Went in there today to look for a holster and a gun safe. Got completely ignored by the 3 staff people there. Stood at the counter and waited for service, then I made eye contact
with someone and I nodded and made a gesture like I needed some help to no avail so I decided to browse on my own.
A few minutes go by as I'm looking at a safe, and then my wife walks in, followed by a WOOOSH of a salesman flying by me and I hear
"Anything I can do for you today? Ok my name is xxxxx I'll be right over there if you need anything". Guess I need a rack to get some service.

Between that and the ridiculous price of the holster I wanted, I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Any other places with reasonable prices locally? I have a lot of equipment to buy. By reasonable, I don't mean double the price of online retailers.

A few things regarding your post...

Too bad you had a bad experience there but from all of my visits, I've either received their (Paul, Sean) full undivided attention when it was my turn for service or learned quite a bit listening as they were assisting someone else. Like a previous post mentioned - they will work with you as long as it takes.

Frankly, just a simple "can you help me" comment would be enough to engage in a conversation. Eye contact, hand signs or whatever isn't a way to get service in any commercial establishment. Can't imagine making a "gesture" when communicating in the Navy goes over too well... Regarding the other guys working there, I've seen them constantly running around the store doing their responsibilities - that place appears to be managed very well. If they were sitting around at the time you were there, maybe the were on lunch break.

Doesn't surprise me that they were polite and attentive to your wife - beats being rude, obnoxious or hitting on her. Taking that into consideration, next time you go to CampSite, try wearing this:

Posted Image

Edited by nybocce, November 16 2013 - 11:48 PM.

• Habsfan, SemiAutoFetish, pgm888 and 1 other like this

#28 DLM

DLM

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationNorth Massapequa

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:39 PM

That is what I noticed. Paul spent at least a 1/2 hour with one guy who was looking to buy his first handgun. I just stood off to the side and listened because that is what I'm looking to do also. The guy didn't buy anything, and while I thought Paul would be pissed for spending so much time with him and then not getting the sale, he wasn't. I still will wait until a weekday to go in. I feel more comfortable without people breathing down my neck. Who works when and who is best for newbies and can tolerate my dumb questions?

It looks like you are in Lindenhurst so Hunter Sports and South Shore Sportsman in Massapequa and Merrick respectively are probably closer and both are great. If you go to Hunter, Adam is always really helpful.

#29 Schoen

Schoen

Patience

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,751 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:59 PM

The best inventory on the island for handguns is Coliseum Gun Traders in Uniondale. Andy runs hot and cold but in general is ok and I've purchased more than I care to recall there. Campsite will give you the best service. Hunter has the best selection for shotguns while SSS is a good solid shop.

This isn't Hermes or even an old school Hardware store.
Previous poster had it right, with all due respect.
You need to speak up.
Just the way a LGS is.
  • wrench likes this

#30 NavyVet85

NavyVet85

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 17 2013 - 01:38 AM

Can't imagine making a "gesture" when communicating in the Navy goes over too wel

No idea what this means lol.
It's not like I waived him over like a waiter. I don't know how to explain it, but you've never communicated with someone without words?
He was too far away, it was quiet and it was my first time there, so I kind of turned and pointed to what I was looking at and he nodded, instead of me shouting across the store.
Either way, I think I'm unable to articulate what actually went down in order for anyone to see it my way.
So I'll just leave it as this; you guys are absolutely right, I should have asked for help and left it at that. My fault.

#31 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 16,091 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted November 17 2013 - 07:15 AM

I've been ignored there when they were busy. But I've never been ignored when they weren't, like a lot of other shops.

Once you have their attention, you have their full attention and they will devote 100% of their time to you. They don't tag-team you, they don't multitask you with two or three other customers and they don't rush you.

Edited by BLAMMO, November 17 2013 - 07:52 AM.

• pgm888 likes this

#32 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,587 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted November 17 2013 - 07:32 AM

you don't know the secret handshake???

look on line for Canon safes I have it on good infor they are half the price of fancy painted ones and twice the quality. Made in Connecticut.

#33 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 07:35 AM

I've been ignored there when they were busy. But I've never been ignored when they weren't, like a lot of other shops.

Once you have their attention, you have their full attention and they will devote 100% of thier time you. They don't tag-team you, they don'multitask you with two or three other customers and they don't rush you.

That is exactly what I noticed yesterday. I think that is an excellent way of doing business.

#34 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,172 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 10:55 AM

Couple of things: Instead of being condescending, how about you ask a little bit more about the scenario before you white knight the store.

I think you missed the part where I was ignored. As in, my presence was noticed, but not responded to.
You may have missed the bit where I actually made eye contact and gave a gesture that I needed assistance. Maybe verbalizing "I need help" would have sealed the deal.
It wasn't like the store was jam packed. I was literally the only person in the store aside from the gentleman being helped.

Being ignored and having to seek help isn't what bothered me.
My wife walking in and actually receiving attention without asking isn't what bothered me.
I think the straw that did it was the fact that I was walked by in order for the associate to get to my wife in order for him to see if she needed help.

Everything by itself is a NBD kind of situation, but you put it together and you have a not so happy customer.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't call that stellar customer service. Hey, maybe it was an aberration, and I'm willing to look past that and give them another shot.
The safe seemed reasonably priced, but the holster was holy crap expensive.

Okay, fair enough. I sounded more snippy than I intended, it's just that I've just done a lot of business with those guys and they've always been a +10 on service, +100 compared to other LI shops, so to hear someone thumbs down them because you feel like you were ignored when it was most likely just poor communication on both your parts is a bit much. I would strongly recommend you give it another shot, just be patient, and be clear/vocal that you'd like some help as soon as they have a chance.

#35 JK_Zach

JK_Zach

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 562 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah but how much are they charging for the FFL? If I remember correctly but I won't swear, they wanted $100 to transfer a handgun from Buds. Confirm anyone?

Directly from their website:

Incoming Transfers:
Used Handgun: $55.00
Used Long Gun: $45.00
Any New Firearm: $100.00

Outgoing Transfers:
Handgun: $55.00 transfer fee + $40.00 Overnight Shipping + Insurance Fees
Long Gun: $45.00 transfer fee + $20.00 Ground Shipping + Insurance Fees

#36 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:14 AM

Incoming Transfers:

Outgoing Transfers:

Wow. Really? Yikes.

#37 Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:25 AM

Very steep!

#38 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:02 PM

Very steep!

i guess they dont like transferring new guns. Understandable.

#39 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:08 PM

Incoming Transfers:

Outgoing Transfers:

Is that their fee if you buy the gun from them?

#40 Habsfan

Habsfan

Member of the secret Canadian Mafia

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,744 posts
  • LocationHauppauge

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:14 PM

The FFL price is embedded in the gun price when you buy from them.

Few women go into gun stores.... The poor guys are starved really.

Blaming a gun salesman for going towards the woman (especially if she is good looking) is like blaming a compass for pointing north. :-)

Edited by Habsfan, November 17 2013 - 12:15 PM.

• grifhunter, pgm888, nybocce and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thumbs, down, for, campsite, sport, shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users