Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Thumbs down for Campsite Sport Shop

thumbs down for campsite sport shop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#1 NavyVet85

NavyVet85

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:04 PM

Went in there today to look for a holster and a gun safe. Got completely ignored by the 3 staff people there. Stood at the counter and waited for service, then I made eye contact
with someone and I nodded and made a gesture like I needed some help to no avail so I decided to browse on my own.
A few minutes go by as I'm looking at a safe, and then my wife walks in, followed by a WOOOSH of a salesman flying by me and I hear
"Anything I can do for you today? Ok my name is xxxxx I'll be right over there if you need anything". Guess I need a rack to get some service.

Between that and the ridiculous price of the holster I wanted, I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Any other places with reasonable prices locally? I have a lot of equipment to buy. By reasonable, I don't mean double the price of online retailers.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Punisher1336

Punisher1336

MOLON LABE

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,681 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:10 PM

POPULAR

We will need to see a pic of the wife to put this thread in context.
  • DILLIGAS, grifhunter, OH UNCLE PAUL and 41 others like this

#3 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:12 PM

I was there today (about 3pm) also (for the very first time) and I was asked if I needed help at least 3 times. I said "no thanks" as I was really just looking around trying to get the "lay of the land". There was a line of about 5 people waiting to get to the gun counter. I decided that I would come back on a week day when they might be less crowded etc. As a newbie I'm very intimidated by gun stores, but listening to the guys behind the counter (especially the tall bald guy with the goat tee) they seemed very kind and courteous to everyone.
  • loadingdockman and Drax like this

#4 artburg

artburg

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 6,303 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County Jail

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:14 PM

Look back at my post from 3-4 yrs ago,same thing happened to me lol.
Besides being a pain in the arse for me to go there it gave me good reason
never to go there again.

Edited by artburg, November 16 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#5 5.56

• Established Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:18 PM

POPULAR

We will need to see a pic of the wife to put this thread in context.

:nopics
  • Parashooter, BLAMMO, Dfisch and 6 others like this

#6 CharlieHotel

CharlieHotel

OathKeeper/NRA Life Member/Instructor/Appleseed Shoot Boss

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,690 posts
  • LocationThe Kingdom

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:21 PM

Were you wearing your LIF stealth pants? They are always very helpful there.

CH

#7 NavyVet85

NavyVet85

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:28 PM

I was there today (about 3pm) also (for the very first time) and I was asked if I needed help at least 3 times. I said "no thanks" as I was really just looking around trying to get the "lay of the land". There was a line of about 5 people waiting to get to the gun counter. I decided that I would come back on a week day when they might be less crowded etc. As a newbie I'm very intimidated by gun stores, but listening to the guys behind the counter (especially the tall bald guy with the goat tee) they seemed very kind and courteous to everyone.

I've heard good things which is why I took the trip - It was my first time in there, the store was dead. There was 1 customer in there being helped, and there were 3 young guys available.
I was there early in the day, maybe around 12ish.

#8 Schoen

Schoen

Patience

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: ,
  • 1,751 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:29 PM

The bald guy is Paul and I've done several deals with him with rifles.
Sean is the guy I like for handguns while Jonathan has more expertise with all different firearms and really knows shotguns.
Thing to understand is the guys give each customer 100% attention till they are taken care of. This ensures both your complete satisfaction when served while being frustrated till its your turn. Took me a while to realize you just watch and listen to the other guys transaction learning new stuff.

As a general rule, women seem to get quicker attention as a way to keep them involved in what is largely a male dominated sport. Most of us will go out of our way to see that a teenager and/or woman has a positive experience at the range. Same seems to go for the shops encouraging women into the sport.

• Parashooter, Drax, billb42 and 2 others like this

#9 Angel Eyes

Angel Eyes

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 576 posts
  • LocationEastern Suffolk

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:32 PM

That would be Paul. Great guy, in fact they are all great. Always very helpful, unfortunately at times too helpful…… you'll end up walking out with more than you planned. :wink
  • NRATC53 and Karpteach like this

#10 fsfty

fsfty

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,023 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'm surprised you had a bad experience. Camp Site has always had outstanding customer service ever since I started going there. I have stopped going there lately, however, because their prices are just so much higher than online dealers. I understand that LGS have their advantages and they need to make a profit, but even factoring in shipping and FFL fees, I still come out way, way ahead buying online.

#11 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,172 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:54 PM

POPULAR

Went in there today to look for a holster and a gun safe. Got completely ignored by the 3 staff people there. Stood at the counter and waited for service, then I made eye contact
with someone and I nodded and made a gesture like I needed some help to no avail so I decided to browse on my own.
A few minutes go by as I'm looking at a safe, and then my wife walks in, followed by a WOOOSH of a salesman flying by me and I hear
"Anything I can do for you today? Ok my name is xxxxx I'll be right over there if you need anything". Guess I need a rack to get some service.

Between that and the ridiculous price of the holster I wanted, I decided to take my business elsewhere.

Any other places with reasonable prices locally? I have a lot of equipment to buy. By reasonable, I don't mean double the price of online retailers.

This might sound crazy, but next time maybe try "Excuse me, can I get some help with something?". If that's too much to ask, maybe local retail isn't for you...because compared to most other gun stores on the island, their customer service is 8 stars on a scale of 1-5.
  • Karpteach, JK_Zach, cheez755 and 6 others like this

#12 ChiefSailer

ChiefSailer

• Guests
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 09:24 PM

The bald guy is Paul and I've done several deals with him with rifles.
Sean is the guy I like for handguns while Jonathan has more expertise with all different firearms and really knows shotguns.
Thing to understand is the guys give each customer 100% attention till they are taken care of. This ensures both your complete satisfaction when served while being frustrated till its your turn. Took me a while to realize you just watch and listen to the other guys transaction learning new stuff.

As a general rule, women seem to get quicker attention as a way to keep them involved in what is largely a male dominated sport. Most of us will go out of our way to see that a teenager and/or woman has a positive experience at the range. Same seems to go for the shops encouraging women into the sport.

That is what I noticed. Paul spent at least a 1/2 hour with one guy who was looking to buy his first handgun. I just stood off to the side and listened because that is what I'm looking to do also. The guy didn't buy anything, and while I thought Paul would be pissed for spending so much time with him and then not getting the sale, he wasn't. I still will wait until a weekday to go in. I feel more comfortable without people breathing down my neck. Who works when and who is best for newbies and can tolerate my dumb questions?

#13 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 24,899 posts
  • Location"Sandpit"

Posted November 16 2013 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image
  • Lemming, iGreg, Trailblazer and 3 others like this

#14 capnjb

capnjb

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSuffolk county

Posted November 16 2013 - 09:36 PM

Every time I go in there they are always helpful and nice, even if you are only buying a couple boxes of 22lr. The give their undevided attention to each customer. I bought my first handgun there last Tuesday. The guy behind the counter took his time showing me several models and never rushed me, not once. Took about 35 min to settle on a s&w m&p 9. Love going there to buy guns. Some of there other stuff is over priced though. They wanted 50$ for a black hawk holster I just got on Ebay for 25 free shipping

#15 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,840 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 09:53 PM

That is what I noticed. Paul spent at least a 1/2 hour with one guy who was looking to buy his first handgun. I just stood off to the side and listened because that is what I'm looking to do also. The guy didn't buy anything, and while I thought Paul would be pissed for spending so much time with him and then not getting the sale, he wasn't. I still will wait until a weekday to go in. I feel more comfortable without people breathing down my neck. Who works when and who is best for newbies and can tolerate my dumb questions?

No dumb questions, especially if you explain you are not well versed. I'll go with you if you want,, no problem
  • ChiefSailer likes this

#16 sherm66

sherm66

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,119 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:04 PM

Lady parts trump all.
  • Parashooter, CITYREPO61 and ptrans like this

#17 fsfty

fsfty

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • 1,023 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:04 PM

They're all very helpful but I like dealing with Sean the most. Straight shooter and all around good guy.
  • Flagg888 and Schoen like this

#18 NavyVet85

NavyVet85

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:29 PM

This might sound crazy, but next time maybe try "Excuse me, can I get some help with something?". If that's too much to ask, maybe local retail isn't for you...because compared to most other gun stores on the island, their customer service is 8 stars on a scale of 1-5.

Couple of things: Instead of being condescending, how about you ask a little bit more about the scenario before you white knight the store.

I think you missed the part where I was ignored. As in, my presence was noticed, but not responded to.
You may have missed the bit where I actually made eye contact and gave a gesture that I needed assistance. Maybe verbalizing "I need help" would have sealed the deal.
It wasn't like the store was jam packed. I was literally the only person in the store aside from the gentleman being helped.

Being ignored and having to seek help isn't what bothered me.
My wife walking in and actually receiving attention without asking isn't what bothered me.
I think the straw that did it was the fact that I was walked by in order for the associate to get to my wife in order for him to see if she needed help.

Everything by itself is a NBD kind of situation, but you put it together and you have a not so happy customer.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't call that stellar customer service. Hey, maybe it was an aberration, and I'm willing to look past that and give them another shot.
The safe seemed reasonably priced, but the holster was holy crap expensive.

#19 fsfty

fsfty

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,023 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:41 PM

Couple of things: Instead of being condescending, how about you ask a little bit more about the scenario before you white knight the store.

I think you missed the part where I was ignored. As in, my presence was noticed, but not responded to.
You may have missed the bit where I actually made eye contact and gave a gesture that I needed assistance. Maybe verbalizing "I need help" would have sealed the deal.
It wasn't like the store was jam packed. I was literally the only person in the store aside from the gentleman being helped.

Being ignored and having to seek help isn't what bothered me.
My wife walking in and actually receiving attention without asking isn't what bothered me.
I think the straw that did it was the fact that I was walked by in order for the associate to get to my wife in order for him to see if she needed help.

Everything by itself is a NBD kind of situation, but you put it together and you have a not so happy customer.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't call that stellar customer service. Hey, maybe it was an aberration, and I'm willing to look past that and give them another shot.
The safe seemed reasonably priced, but the holster was holy crap expensive.

I don't know bro...we're not doubting your story, but give them another shot. I'll bet you won't be disappointed.

#20 pgm888

pgm888

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,565 posts
  • LocationSmithtown

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:45 PM

20 pages minimum.
  • NRATC53, Nordon, Walker1847 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thumbs, down, for, campsite, sport, shop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users