Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Backyard Trail Cam Pics - Long Island Deer

long island deer trophy bucks deer rack

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#41 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 7,460 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted September 29 2013 - 06:43 PM

Opening day is going to be good. My apple tree has them coming in like clock work. Deer can be patterned this time of year.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 06:56 PM

That stomach looks pretty distended from what I can see but then again, it might be the angle. She looks kind of thin around the hip area too. I'm not an expert on deer but if it's not the angle, she looks sick (maybe a tumor?) I sure hope not. Keep us posted if you see her again and take pics.

I've seen that second woodpecker here too. They're much smaller than the red-heads but just as loud! I crack up when I see them pecking on the telephone pole across the street. I've also seen ones that are even bigger than the red-heads but I don't know the name. They like the white pine on my front lawn and do a nice job getting the bugs out. I should check my Sibley book to get the proper names of what I see over here. :)

My bat house is still vacant but I see my guys flying out of one of my maples so I guess like prefer a natural setting. They're very cool little creatures.
  • Destro likes this

#43 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:06 PM

Opening day is going to be good. My apple tree has them coming in like clock work. Deer can be patterned this time of year.

Excellent point...

Using Natural Habitat Transitions and Food Sources for Shots (both camera and hunting)

A great way to set up for the shot is to identify a frequented area. Deer often take the path of least resistance and create visible deer trails. Any place where there is a clearing in the woods, or other "transitions" like a field by the treeline is a great spot as well. Observe scat and scrapes along trails.

Natural feeders like apple trees and oak trees dropping acorns will keep them coming back (as will landscaping such as hostas).
And although baiting is illegal in the state of NY the DEC allows for wildlife food plots to be grown.
http://www.dec.ny.go...imals/7197.html

My clover plot was planted in the general area seen in the vids below, but these deer seem to prefer their natural food, which is plentiful in the area. They even leave the landscaping alone, so it seems dependent on what the game is used to and the abundance of sustainable food in the natural habitat.

The following is SD video from the older Moultrie Gamespy D-55i of two bucks in the clearing at the mouth of my wood trail. A large oak is dumping dozens of pounds of acorns all over the ground. You can see them munching on the acorns (along with tree rats and chipmunks fighting over the nuts).

Bigger guy feeding at the "acorn clearing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82SfNfOroYY&feature=youtu.be

Younger guy foraging at the acorn drop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBUIkMd9h9o&feature=youtu.be

(I moved the newer widescreen HD Moultrie D-555 deeper into the woods. It takes spectacular video with sound. I'm letting it sit and hope to have new pre-rut footage soon).

Edited by Destro, October 09 2013 - 06:23 PM.

• Lovemyglock likes this

#44 sigequinox220

sigequinox220

dislike Cuomo!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 4,995 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:27 PM

South Nassau to North Suffolk seemed like a world away back in the preban days :P
Never said I moved out of LI, just pointing out how different LI can be.
We're still better than CT in NY state AFAIK. :P

Ohhh lol I thought "mid west" meant midwest of the US. and in some ways yes, in some ways no. You guys dont have "the list" like we do here in CT. It makes everything short of non compliance a no no.
  • Destro likes this

#45 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:42 PM

Ohhh lol I thought "mid west" meant midwest of the US. and in some ways yes, in some ways no. You guys dont have "the list" like we do here in CT. It makes everything short of non compliance a no no.

I didn't write that clearly.Probably was a late night LOL

North Dakota. Moved from LI to ND many years ago with my family. Learned to shoot there at camp, hunt, ride atvs... sewed a camo rifle case in home economics class with the rest of the boys (image that in NY!), all my buds had rifles in their pickup trucks. Many military friends from the nearby bases. Missile silos, sunflower fields, guns, hunting, 4x4s. Good times. As a teen it shaped my outdoorsman/survival outlook and normalized guns to me. Moved back with my family to LI.

My place upstate is in Delaware County. Open carry, 2A friendly judge (who issues licenses) Sheriff, etc. Good gun culture. In the pre-ban days it was a great breath of fresh air to the liberal tristate/downstate.

Edited by Destro, October 09 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#46 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:51 PM

The acorns are falling like crazy this year, usually the sign of a bad winter ahead but that's been disproven more than once. My tree rats are having a ball regardless. And they're fat as can be as a result.

Nice videos Destro, as always. :)
  • Destro likes this

#47 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:59 PM

The acorns are falling like crazy this year, usually the sign of a bad winter ahead but that's been disproven more than once. My tree rats are having a ball regardless. And they're fat as can be as a result.

Nice videos Destro, as always. :)

Thanks. Yes they are getting plump this year (first year I have a snow blower so it probably won't snow!). And, yep, I noticed the acorns more this year as well. The squirrels and chipmunks are going nuts picking them and I recently learned that tree rats are territorial. I have one cool vid with sound where they are chasing each other, zig-zagging in a blur like a cartoon, and barking at each other!
  • Lovemyglock likes this

#48 trapshooterbob

trapshooterbob

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,370 posts
  • LocationBohemia, NY

Posted October 09 2013 - 07:05 PM

I thought I saw these three frolicking in the grass on the east bound side of the Sunrise this morning.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

#49 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 11:03 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0057.jpg
  • PICT0106.jpg
  • PICT0113.jpg
  • PICT1116.jpg

• Dfisch, Lovemyglock, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#50 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 07:08 PM

Coon vs. Buck, from this morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• DESinc.jpg

• highdice, Lovemyglock, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#51 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere near Aquabach.

Posted October 21 2013 - 08:25 PM

I always look forward to your cam pics/videos. You never disappoint.
  • Lovemyglock, trapshooterbob and Destro like this

#52 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted October 21 2013 - 08:49 PM

We put up bird feeders 10 feet from our kitchen window and see these woodpeckers all the time in Smithtown.
It wakes up the neighborhood when they peck at the metal trim on the siding.
That is when the feeders come down.

I came across two deer running on River Road this weekend in the middle of the afternoon. That is always a bit scary when on the the bike. A sure lose, lose situation.

Edited by Incognito, October 21 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#53 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted October 21 2013 - 08:57 PM

Great pics as always, thank you for them. We are just over here in Huntington but for game it is a world away.
  • Destro likes this

#54 Kevin529

Kevin529

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 2,862 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 09:05 PM

Damn you guys and your large, wooded property!

Edited by Kevin529, October 21 2013 - 09:05 PM.

• Mafia Al and Destro like this

#55 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 03:44 PM

So the buck activity has been conspicously non-existent in the last few days on my backlot and the adjacent tract of woods. Hopefully, the quiet before the storm. The pre-rut and first rut should be on soon. In days they should start chasing. A lot say that 5-7 days after the last full moon in Oct or 5-7 days before the new moon, and we're almost there. I'll try to pattern sightings to moon phase and temps.
http://www.moonconne...ober-2013.phtml

So, in any case it's one day after the anniversary of the first pictures of the big boy (14 pts by some's count?). Have not seem him this year, but his running buddy has been around. The pics that started it all (now we're up to a few cams):

Attached Thumbnails

• TCAM5.jpg
  • TCAM3.jpg
  • TCAM2.jpg
  • TCAM4.jpg

• Lovemyglock likes this

#56 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 06:39 PM

Happy Anniversary :) I hope the big boy is still around next year. He's beautiful.

#57 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,266 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 07:02 PM

The other night I saw something that scares me a little. I saw a deer crossing main street in Smithtown. first time as a lifelong resident seeing that. It scares me because I know how deer can be durring rut, and I do not want to lose another car to a deer.
  • Destro likes this

#58 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:07 PM

They're chasing. Seems big boy is back or he never really left.

Posted Image

Big Boy Up Close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Hgo2tPzRU&feature=youtu.be

Nice Buck chasing Doe

Doe starts the video and Big Buck follows in at 0:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetFz244dfc&feature=youtu.be

You also get a doe on a cam and a few minutes later a buck in the same area. Lots of video of does running, even a small buck with teeny antlers, and a few bigs roaming.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0092.jpg
  • PICT0095.jpg
  • PICT0128.jpg
  • PICT0311.jpg

• Lovemyglock, Mad Russian, FULL METAL JACKET and 1 other like this

#59 Hunter6874

Hunter6874

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere near Aquabach.

Posted November 11 2013 - 02:10 PM

Great pics and video as always.
  • Destro likes this

#60 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,172 posts

Posted November 11 2013 - 03:22 PM

Great pics and video as always.

Thanks. That big guy's span is impressive.
A lot of the video clips are does running and then a buck chasing, so that's pretty cool.

On a negative note one of the Moultrie gamespys froze up with a "card lock" error and nothing I can do to reset it. It happens.

Also got a new one this year, I believe this guy is 1- 1.5 years with his dorky little antlers...

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0046.jpg

• Dfisch, Lovemyglock and FULL METAL JACKET like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: long island deer, trophy bucks, deer rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users