Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Backyard Trail Cam Pics - Long Island Deer

long island deer trophy bucks deer rack

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#21 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted September 20 2013 - 05:52 PM

I remember going duck hunting back there one day with my sisters ex bf. I felt like we were in someone's backyard. I kept asking, are you sure were allowed back here bro. This seems sketchy. Hes all, "yea yea. Its cool trust me". Little while later I heard other gunshots and the woman with the bullhorn. So I was ok with it. Just seemed weird for LI firing shots so close to houses.

Dude, I just move to this area from a way more suburban "Nassau South Shore Neighborhood" and when I heard shotguns going off for duck season even I was surprised. Then again I lived in NY then moved to the midwest for a few years. It's all about perspective, and we're being brainwashed downstate.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,259 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted September 20 2013 - 05:59 PM

Awesome great stuff not bad for $90.
  • Destro likes this

#23 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:03 PM

You want deer? I have a troop that stops buy eats everything we have drinks water from the ponds ,poops all over the place,then goes to sleep under my pines. I am in the middle of a neighborhood. nothing special.

#24 Flagg888

Flagg888

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 1,123 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:32 PM

And btw, anyone know what these birds are...not crows, but smaller with a purplish hint to their feathers...(we literally have hundreds of them here, and they flock and fly away together...)

Those are Grackles. I got tons of them as we'll.
  • Destro likes this

#25 Georgeviking

Georgeviking

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCrook haven township

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:59 PM

Krackels are the birds, but they didn't dig the hole.....lol.
  • Destro likes this

#26 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 7,584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:08 PM

Dude, I'm so jealous. You are very, very lucky. And that trail cam is freaking awesome!
  • Destro likes this

#27 sigequinox220

sigequinox220

dislike Cuomo!

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 4,995 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:16 PM

Dude, I just move to this area from a way more suburban "Nassau South Shore Neighborhood" and when I heard shotguns going off for duck season even I was surprised. Then again I lived in NY then moved to the midwest for a few years. It's all about perspective, and we're being brainwashed downstate.

What made you come back to NY?

#28 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:18 PM

What made you come back to NY?

South Nassau to North Suffolk seemed like a world away back in the preban days :P
Never said I moved out of LI, just pointing out how different LI can be.
We're still better than CT in NY state AFAIK. :P

Edited by Destro, September 20 2013 - 07:20 PM.

• Aquabach likes this

#29 Georgeviking

Georgeviking

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCrook haven township

Posted September 20 2013 - 07:23 PM

Coming home from work while still married watched two deer run across the street followed closely by a third and then my ex wife broom raised over her head trying to protect her impatiants . I hate that ***** but laugh every time I recall that.
  • Aquabach likes this

#30 DonTreadOnMe

DonTreadOnMe

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 185 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:44 PM

Third pic. That buck looks to be mature! Looks older than 4.5 and going down in antler growth.
  • Destro likes this

#31 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 06:21 PM

Finally gone HD. Testing out the new Moultrie D-555 i today. LIF review here.

There's also been a monster buck roaming, so looking forward to the new cam and better picture captures getting him.
  • Lovemyglock, Mad Russian and incorrigible like this

#32 incorrigible

incorrigible

Team Infidel

• Established Member
  • 2,089 posts
  • LocationHuntington Area

Posted September 25 2013 - 06:45 PM

Not camera shy LOL.
  • Destro likes this

#33 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 06:55 PM

haha, yeah she was ready to eat the camera! So cute with those big ears and sniffing the air.

I love this thread :)
  • Destro likes this

#34 Billy Longbow

Billy Longbow

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 581 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 08:14 PM

Great buck! Some dirtbag stole my camera this past week. It's my fourth stolen camera in three years.
  • Destro likes this

#35 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts

Posted September 25 2013 - 08:32 PM

Great buck! Some dirtbag stole my camera this past week. It's my fourth stolen camera in three years.

Thanks man, check out the big boy in the first post of last year's thread, he's still around.
http://www.longislan...bone-collector/

Sorry 'bout your cams, I cable lock them upstate, thankfully these are literally in my backyard on LI, and if someone's trespassing here, they have bigger problems to worry about.

#36 Yaphank Kid

Yaphank Kid

Older Budweiser

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted September 25 2013 - 08:37 PM

If you put up a trail camera, you can see who has been stealing your trail camera :crazy

Sorry to hear they got stolen
  • Lovemyglock and raceradam like this

#37 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 04:37 PM

- Have a couple of young skippers (they are eerily identical looking) learning their way. They've been staying in my backyard for the last few weeks, along with mom. Sometimes also another doe. (they are the same ones in the HD video with sound, sniffing the camera, a few posts up).

- Early in Sept. had a bachelor group of 3 bucks on the property. One is a monster. Seems they separated at this point but one or two are still running around and staying on the property.

- The woodpecker is a Northern Flicker. Usually we only see Hairy Woodpeckers in the area. Never had woodpeckers on the S. Shore and they sound like human knocking when they hit the house siding and nearby oaks.

- Also moved the widescreen HD trail cam back into the woods. Should hopefully have some good footage soon.

- Waterfowl's been flying real low towards the Nissequouge River. Pretty cool looking up and seeing a V-formation fly over at 20ft or so. Still hear shotgun doubles and triples early some mornings though it isn't season yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• SEPTa.jpg
  • SEPTb.jpg
  • SEPTd.jpg
  • SEPTe.jpg

Edited by Destro, September 29 2013 - 04:38 PM.

• Lovemyglock and ChiefSailer like this

#38 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 05:03 PM

Beautiful woodpecker. We have about four different kinds in Bay Shore (red-headed is the most common). Very early one morning before I was even out of bed I had one pecking on the antenna that used to be on my roof. The loud metallic sound reverberated through the whole house and was awful, especially at 5:30 a.m. I thought for a moment that my antique oil burner on its way out. I followed the noise and when I saw what the problem was I laughed out loud. He was up there for a good hour before he finally flew away, with an empty stomach. Silly bird :)
  • Destro likes this

#39 Lovemyglock

Lovemyglock

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 5,881 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 06:10 PM

I just put the garbage out and the bats are out in droves. Very nice. :)

#40 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,143 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 06:23 PM

Beautiful woodpecker. We have about four different kinds in Bay Shore (red-headed is the most common). Very early one morning before I was even out of bed I had one pecking on the antenna that used to be on my roof. The loud metallic sound reverberated through the whole house and was awful, especially at 5:30 a.m. I thought for a moment that my antique oil burner on its way out. I followed the noise and when I saw what the problem was I laughed out loud. He was up there for a good hour before he finally flew away, with an empty stomach. Silly bird :)

Hey Deb. Woodpeckers are beautiful little creatures, but they can make a racket and I was surprised by how darned loud they are! We usually get the "hairy type" attached below but this guy was new.

Also here's a picture of the does with the youngns' walking the trail, you can see how they move down (3 in this picture), but what's up with stomach of the first doe? Just the angle as she's moving over the log?

Btw. my bats moved out from under the siding :( though I still occasionally see them at dusk. Love the little buggers flying crazy zig-zag patterns all over the place!

Attached Thumbnails

• woodpecker.jpg
  • SEPTf.jpg

• Lovemyglock likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: long island deer, trophy bucks, deer rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users