Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Backyard Trail Cam Pics - Long Island Deer

long island deer trophy bucks deer rack

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#261 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,086 posts

Posted October 02 2016 - 09:51 PM

I haven't seen deer on my property since the spring. It was a dry summer, and no apples in my orchid. So they went elsewhere....

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#262 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted October 03 2016 - 12:44 AM

Seen an eight point buck yesterday about 11:30 am. Bucks are acting like it was pre rut, mock scrape time!

#263 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted October 03 2016 - 01:06 PM

I haven't seen deer on my property since the spring. It was a dry summer, and no apples in my orchid. So they went elsewhere....

Seen an eight point buck yesterday about 11:30 am. Bucks are acting like it was pre rut, mock scrape time!

Pretty much see bucks daily this time of year on Long Island, including a 10 pointer that's been hanging on the property for the last few weeks. The bachelor groups are running through feasting on the acorns (we have a few huge white oaks) that are now dropping and the light is getting shorter, and getting fed up for the first rut on LI (we have two).

That's absolutely the best LI bowhunting tip I'd offer, is to stake out acorn drops. They sometimes hang for 10-20 hours coming back over and over to the same tree.

October is the busiest time around here by the river in terms of whitetail activity, then the rut in late Nov. when you see some leave their territory and run through.

That ten pointer is a local to our property, and if you go back 4 years in these pics you can see him as a kid! Most deer don't leave a mile radius from where they are born.

Edited by Destro, October 03 2016 - 01:09 PM.

• ProGodProGunProLife likes this

#264 jpcool

jpcool

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 538 posts
  • LocationEast Islip

Posted October 03 2016 - 05:58 PM

Bro you have a cool property, always some good stuff going on. Bourbon and bucks.
  • Destro likes this

#265 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted November 23 2016 - 10:21 PM

handsome_buck_35percent.jpg

• whitefoot likes this

#266 Denny

Denny

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 753 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County, NY

Posted November 23 2016 - 10:33 PM

I have video of a ten pointer from about a month ago as well.

#267 Tom Mac

Tom Mac

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 868 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted November 24 2016 - 10:13 AM

I put out about 400 gallons of those acorns out so far and have been seeing a couple of deer on a regular basis... biggest is a 8 pt.

They will be around all winter just like last.

(8+ 55gal garbage cans and still more left to rake up )

They love those acorns as much as I hate picking them up.

#268 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted November 24 2016 - 10:47 AM

I put out about 400 gallons of those acorns out so far and have been seeing a couple of deer on a regular basis... biggest is a 8 pt.

They will be around all winter just like last.

(8+ 55gal garbage cans and still more left to rake up )

They love those acorns as much as I hate picking them up.

The bucks don't really eat during the rut (nowish).

Their testosterone skyrockets and they just ****. That's why the pre-rut is a great time for the acorn drops, cause they're feasting up to prepare for the rut, gorging before they stop eating.

I've seen plenty chasing already on the cams (doe runs buy, 20 seconds later a buck follows here scent). I even captured a buck mounting a doe a few times on HD video. That's on my youtube channel with the rest of the videos.

https://www.youtube....anzD6AA1XliRFLQ

bck2.jpg

Edited by Destro, November 24 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#269 Short Track Hunter

Short Track Hunter

Gun Guru

• 1,086 posts

Posted November 24 2016 - 12:25 PM

Bring some of those deer upstate for rifle season. Those are far & few between upstate.

#270 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 24 2016 - 03:17 PM

The bucks don't really eat during the rut (nowish).

Their testosterone skyrockets and they just ****. That's why the pre-rut is a great time for the acorn drops, cause they're feasting up to prepare for the rut, gorging before they stop eating.

I've seen plenty chasing already on the cams (doe runs buy, 20 seconds later a buck follows here scent). I even captured a buck mounting a doe a few times on HD video. That's on my youtube channel with the rest of the videos.

https://www.youtube....anzD6AA1XliRFLQ

attachicon.gifbck2.jpg

Now that was common when I was working in the Hamptons. My cousin reports seeing fewer doe and more bucks this year in the Northfork. It must be the heavy pressure to harvest doe only.

#271 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted November 24 2016 - 06:30 PM

Now that was common when I was working in the Hamptons. My cousin reports seeing fewer doe and more bucks this year in the Northfork. It must be the heavy pressure to harvest doe only.

Generally, LI has a 5-to-1 doe to buck ratio in most areas . That's why we have a second rut on Long Island. The video I have of the buck mounting a doe in my woods over and over was in January. He was a persistent fella. :P

But what I've learned that surprised me is that it's very different just from area to area. The beach deer in overpopulated Fire Island might be from a different state the way they act and feed, and grow much smaller than the ones in the thick river woods around me (which have so much natural food they don't even raid our gardens and landscaping here). And the Pine Barrens and open farmland out East have their own micro-ecosystems.

bkdark.jpg

#272 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 10,097 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted November 24 2016 - 09:13 PM

Well I'll gladly come over and handle those nuisance animal for you. I'll bring the bourbon and ciger.

#273 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:09 PM

Thanksgiving with his girlfriend.

thanksgiving1.jpg

thanksgiving2.jpg

thanksgiving4.jpg

Edited by Destro, November 25 2016 - 07:21 PM.

• boosti likes this

#274 boosti

boosti

Gun Guru

• 7,353 posts
  • LocationStrong Island

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:55 PM

I seen a buck hanging around for two days chilling with a doe back during Halloween week upstate. The rut is still going strong on Long Island.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: long island deer, trophy bucks, deer rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users