Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Backyard Trail Cam Pics - Long Island Deer

long island deer trophy bucks deer rack

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

#1 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:07 PM

POPULAR

As many of you know I have a picture thread of the trail cams in my backyard (N. Shore, Town of Smithtown, by the Nissequouge River).

They currently consist of 3 Moultrie Game Spy cams, great bang for the buck. Two are set for picture bursts, one for video. The wildlife here is thriving, with Whitetails, fox, and redtail hawks active, as well as duck hunting on the river (hearing shotgun blasts in December in your neighborhood on Long Island is pretty cool).

Since it's a new season, with fall picking up soon (sept has great activity) I'm just going to start a new year thread now.
You can view the original thread with the 14 point bucks, fox, etc. from last fall here:
http://www.longislan...120#entry979544

Some really nice "artistic shots" came out (most artsy attached)..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those asking about "man-tracking" using trailcams, here's a wild beast :P :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82EEKZqL-o&feature=youtu.be

Still a skipper in the area!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vj1wAGr7tA&feature=youtu.be

Decent buck..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxd56uIDvw&feature=youtu.be

This morning:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590dpX1Ptmk&feature=youtu.be[/media
  • peteinsuffolk, CAP1974, Mad Russian and 11 others like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#2 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 06:56 PM

Tonight: BBQ, Bucks, Bourbon, and Breaking Bad.
  • NRATC53, Ransom, frank57 and 3 others like this

#3 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 18 2013 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for including the type of camera you used for those great shots, I have always wanted one and that's what I'm going to get.
That will be my hobby this winter.
  • Destro likes this

#4 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for including the type of camera you used for those great shots, I have always wanted one and that's what I'm going to get.
That will be my hobby this winter.

I found that one to be a great bargain. I am a believer of using multiple cams in the same area as well. They give you a better picture of what's out there, as the motion sensor/speed of game can be tricky. At that price point it's very attractive. Good luck!

#5 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:15 PM

I'm going to start with one and see how it goes. I know of some heavily used trails that I think I should be able to get some nice pics.
Plus it's close to my house. How long do you let them sit before you go back and check?

#6 357Guy

357Guy

Fed up with FUDDS

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,861 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:22 PM

I've said it before re. this thread....can't tell you how encouraging it is to know this wildlife is still around on the Island. I grew up in Smithtown and still the fish the mouth of the Nissequouge. Great stuff Destro!
  • Destro and iceburg19 like this

#7 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:37 PM

Actually forgot to attach a few that were in the other thread...and there was a fox running around today being it was overcast.

Attached Thumbnails

• sameplace_differenttime.jpg
  • clearingB.jpg
  • trailheadtwo.jpg

• Lovemyglock, 357Guy and pitbull428 like this

#8 acamato

acamato

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 352 posts
  • LocationSt. James

Posted August 18 2013 - 08:50 PM

There is an albino deer in the Nissequouge / Head of Harbor area. Maybe you will get a photo of it.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4

• Destro likes this

#9 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'm going to start with one and see how it goes. I know of some heavily used trails that I think I should be able to get some nice pics.
Plus it's close to my house. How long do you let them sit before you go back and check?

In the summer it's really overgrown in my back lot, lots of thorns, and I'm sure deer ticks, so I check every 3-5 weeks, depending on my mood. Those cameras have a 6 month battery life, but I like to check on them to make sure the weather, etc. didn't get to them. They're pretty hardy but you can get something like a spiderweb right in front of the lens, or a big weed that sprouted up in the summer months.

There is an albino deer in the Nissequouge / Head of Harbor area. Maybe you will get a photo of it.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4

Will keep an eye out. The neighbors who lived here for years said they swim across the river from Nissequouge. I'll probably have an extra camera or two up for this season's rut. I'm really blessed to have moved into this wonderful area of LI that makes it seem like I have a nature preserve in my back yard!
  • K Williams likes this

#10 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 10:20 PM

And btw I have an alibi for 3:42 pm today and so does the young basic 8 for this morning (I think it's the skipper's first year, he's hanging with a bigger boy, they do grow quickly!)...

Attached Thumbnails

• sameplace_differenttime.jpg

Edited by Destro, August 18 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#11 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,266 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 10:32 PM

It is funny because for years I have hikes all around that area, but the deer are only a recent addition to the area
  • Destro likes this

#12 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 10:37 PM

It is funny because for years I have hikes all around that area, but the deer are only a recent addition to the area

You sure about that Boke? I've moved here the past couple of years, but the locals have been saying they've seen them and the fox for years. Supposedly the deer are fond of swimming across the river from Nissequoge where a lot have been there for a while.

#13 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,266 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 10:59 PM

I have been traipsing through those woods for at least 20 years wow that makes me sound old.
  • Destro likes this

#14 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have been traipsing through those woods for at least 20 years wow that makes me sound old.

I hear ya bro. Just saying the people here who have properties since the 1950s have said they've been around. Now, no doubt there has been a big rise in both deer and fox pops in the area in recent years. (for example; my exterminator said years ago the fox was protected around here now it no longer has that status). The deer crossing signs from Jericho to Landing have been around for a while too. They're still a lot of old timers round here. My neighbors are 80-something and 90-something and remember when it was just a dirt road!

Edited by Destro, August 18 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#15 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Established Member
  • 3,266 posts

Posted August 18 2013 - 11:20 PM

Could be that the population has grown to the point where they are becoming less able to remain hidden anymore
  • NRATC53 and Destro like this

#16 CTM

CTM

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member + Classifieds
  • 348 posts
  • LocationColchester,NY & Suffolk, NY

Posted August 30 2013 - 04:49 PM

I followed your other thread and I see you have some nice additions again this year. Ignore the haters do the food plot and enjoy. I would be tempted :wink

#17 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 06:20 PM

I followed your other thread and I see you have some nice additions again this year. Ignore the haters do the food plot and enjoy. I would be tempted :wink

Hey CTM. You know what, I planted a decent clover plot, but things up here overgrow in the summer and most of it is lost, scattered. It looked pretty in the spring but now you can hardly make it out. We have tons of wild raspberries here, they are thorny vines that grow over 6 feet tall. The deer here seem to have plenty of natural food, in a lot of the trailcam vids I posted you can see them munching like crazy on the low hanging leaves.

PICS
Below is a direct link to the full sized original trailcam pic. Below you see the same pic attached in 30 percent.
All the pics in this thread and the original thread are from the same Moultrie Gamespys (see first post for details).

100 percent:
http://www.zombtac.c...g_clearing1.jpg

ADDING A NEW TRAILCAM - SUGGESTIONS?
Also, I'd like to get another premium game cam in there for Sept when things pick up. I've read a lot about the new ones with the wider range of motion sensor and a quicker shutter. Any suggestions?

YUPPIES CLEARING HABITAT :mad
Also, one of my neighbors a bit off is having a chainsaw clearing bonanza, which ticks me off a bit. I get it's his property and he can do what he wants. I hate when yuppies clear the habitat completely just for their tennis court or whatever. Makes me a bit nervous though, and I think I'll have to put some of these up on some trees:

Posted Image

FINALLY, SUGGESTED VIEWING MUSIC

Whenever you look through the threads, feel free to crank some background music. "Clansman" by Iron Maiden is a particularily good song, that may resonate with many of you. A song of freedom, defiance, majesty. The feeling I get when I disappear into my woods, and contemplate where this country is going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwLtyvGdNbc

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend and stay free!

Attached Thumbnails

• log_clearing_30percent.jpg

Edited by Destro, August 30 2013 - 06:25 PM.

• Lovemyglock likes this

#18 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 04:48 PM

We don't have any "money shots" this time, but we have a lot of activity this time of year, and some good chronicling of that activity.

One good lesson about game cams is that just because you don't get pics on them, doesn't mean there's not activity in the area. Even with multiple cams, game has a way to veer off trails, etc. A lot of it is luck and law of averages. I saw a bachelor group of 3 decent bucks (one was a monster) on 9/17 morning, very close to my "formal" backyard on the start of the trail. They foraged for hours..."awesome!" I thought, with several cams in the back lot I'll have some money shots. But now when the brush is clearing out and during the rut, they don't always stick to trails and you never know. Didn't really capture that bachelor group on some cameras even though I watched them for hours.

Well, a new Moultrie panoramic game cam on is it's way, with HD video with sound. Hopefully catch more of the action.

Pictures attached:

1) 9/17 Bachelor Group (group of 3): 6amish, almost 10 am, 5 pm

2) 9/19 Bachelor Group, two different bucks, minutes apart moving up trail

3) 9/19 Meaty Buck

4) 9/16 Youngn' with spots (2 does with skippers are in the area, total 4, they run together)

5) Scapes on the trail

6) Fox in the daytime, a little mangy bugger--worried for this guy, hear them howling at night big time this month.

Attached Thumbnails

• bachelors_9_17.jpg
  • bachelors_9_19.jpg
  • meaty_buck.jpg
  • spots.jpg
  • scrapes1.jpg
  • renard.jpg

• Lovemyglock, frank57 and FULL METAL JACKET like this

#19 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,148 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 05:32 PM

And btw, anyone know what these birds are...not crows, but smaller with a purplish hint to their feathers...(we literally have hundreds of them here, and they flock and fly away together...)

Attached Thumbnails

• birds.jpg

#20 mattj

mattj

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 944 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 05:44 PM

I remember going duck hunting back there one day with my sisters ex bf. I felt like we were in someone's backyard. I kept asking, are you sure were allowed back here bro. This seems sketchy. Hes all, "yea yea. Its cool trust me". Little while later I heard other gunshots and the woman with the bullhorn. So I was ok with it. Just seemed weird for LI firing shots so close to houses.
  • Destro likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: long island deer, trophy bucks, deer rack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users