Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Black Man Acquitted in Self-Defense Shooting of White 16-Year-Old

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 11,299 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:10 PM

**EDIT** - I realized after posting, this story is from 2009.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And for all we know, he should have been acquitted.

But I can't hear a thing now, because I'm deafened by the silence form the usual suspects and the media.

http://www.thetrutha...comment-1180641
http://rochester.ynn...ott-not-guilty/

Not guilty: The verdict in the manslaughter trial of Roderick Scott. After more than 19 hours of deliberations over two days, a jury acquitted the Greece man in the shooting death of Christopher Cervini, 17, last April.

"I just want to say thank you to the people who believed in me, who stood by me,” Scott said following the verdict. “I still have my regrets for the Cervini family; it's still an unfortunate situation for them. I am happy that at least this chapter is over."

As deliberations dragged on over two days and the jury asked for testimony to be read back, Scott admits he didn't know how it would all turn out.

"I was nervous of course,” he said. “You never know what direction this whole thing is going to turn, so I have no idea. But it worked out and I feel that justice (was) served today."

Cervini's family members say justice wasn't served. They say Christopher was murdered in cold blood, that he'd never been in trouble and Scott acted as judge, jury and executioner.

"The message is that we can all go out and get guns and feel anybody that we feel is threatening us and lie about the fact,” said Jim Cervini, Christopher’s father. “My son never threatened anybody. He was a gentle child, his nature was gentle, he was a good person and he was never, ever arrested for anything, and has never been in trouble. He was 16 years and four months old, and he was slaughtered."

Scott says he acted in self defense when he confronted Cervini and two others saying they were stealing from neighbors cars. He told them he had a gun and ordered them to freeze and wait for police.

Scott says he shot Cervini twice when the victim charged toward him yelling he was going to get Scott.

"How can this happen to a beautiful, sweet child like that?” asked Cervini’s aunt Carol Cervini. “All he wanted to do was go home. And then for them to say, he was saying, 'Please don't kill me. I'm just a kid,' and he just kept on shooting him."

Scott says the last seven months have been difficult for him and his family. If he could go back to the events in the early morning hours of April 4, there are things he says he would do differently.

"If it meant a person not losing their life, absolutely,” he said. “Would I still have tried to stop what was going on? That I would have done. But if I knew ahead of time that I could do something to help somebody from losing their life, I don't want anyone to lose their life."

Scott says the first thing he was going to do was go home and get a good night sleep. When asked if he'll continue living in his current home, which is just one street away from the Cervini's, he said “for the time being.”

Edited by BLAMMO, July 18 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Chris
~~~~~

No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

#2 mikeyravioli

mikeyravioli

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 683 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst, NY

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:12 PM

Cervini? Not just white but Italian?

If I had a son he would look a lot like Christopher.
Commence rioting in 3....2....1.....
Only trust people who like big butts - they cannot lie.

Gun control isn't about guns - it's about control.
The right to bear arms isn't about arms -it's about rights.

#3 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member

• 11,299 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:13 PM

Just realized, story is from 2009. I must have missed Sharpton's outrage back then.
Chris
~~~~~

No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

#4 TheMongoose

TheMongoose

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationNear the DMZ

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:16 PM

Awfully quiet out there.
NRA Member
SAF Life Member
NYSRPA Member
Westchester County Firearms Owners Association Member
Marine Corps League Life Member

#5 Vertiviper

Vertiviper

Iz'gon'rain

• Board Moderator
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:19 PM

What was the white teen wearing? I want to make it my Facebook profile photo.
Rosie O'Donnell

#6 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,226 posts

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:20 PM

Very good find.  I will however refrain from sharing this on my FB.  I have been completely quiet on this topic out of respect for some of my friends who due to their race, can ONLY see things from the pro-Trayvon side.  There are a few hard-core libs though that have yet to delete me that constantly post anti-Zimmerman nonsense on FB that I would love to shove this in their face.

#7 mikeyravioli

mikeyravioli

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 683 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst, NY

Posted July 18 2013 - 12:29 PM

I am organizing a protest this weekend.
I can't decided between Nunzio's Pizza Town or Sarant Cadillac for the appropriate venue.
Only trust people who like big butts - they cannot lie.

Gun control isn't about guns - it's about control.
The right to bear arms isn't about arms -it's about rights.

#8 Paté

Paté

The Original Assault Carrot

• Administrators
  • 30,642 posts
  • LocationI'm over here now!

Posted July 18 2013 - 02:17 PM

Roderick Scott Trial: What’s Wrong with New York?

Posted ImageHis name is Roderick Scott.  He’s a 42-year-old black man with the build of a football player.  He also holds a New York State Pistol Permit, or he did until recently.  In fact, until April of this year, he kept a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol readily to hand.  Whether that pistol has been returned to him by now, and whether he still holds his permit (or will again) is anybody’s guess.  I don’t know Mr. Scott and have never spoken to him.
Roderick Scott is, to his misfortunate, a resident of Greece, New York — a suburb of the crime-ridden, crumbling city of Rochester, NY.  I say this is to Roderick Scott’s misfortune because, were he a resident of a state that leans less perilously to the left, he might not just have endured several months of legal torture, followed by the longest 19 and a half hours of his life.
Back in April, after an argument with his common-law wife, Scott was asleep on the couch in his home.  At 3:00 in the morning he heard a disturbance outside, looked out the window, and saw three teenagers trying to break into his car.  Shoving his gun into his waistband, he went outside to see what in hell was going on.
Posted Image
He caught one Christopher Cervini, then 17, in the driveway across the street.  With Cervini were his cousin, James, and their friend Brian Hopkins.  They were busily rifling through the neighbor’s car when Roderick Scott confronted them.  These teenagers, you see, are (in Cervini’s case, he was) petty criminals.  They were working their way through all the cars in the neighborhood in order to find things to steal.
The teens had also been drinking earlier in the evening.  A toxicologist’s report confirmed that Christopher Cervini was legally drunkat the time of his death. (All three teenagers had, as at least one of them admitted, been drinking stolen gin before the incident.)  This fine, upstanding young man, who (we were repeatedly informed during the trial) had no criminal record, also had marijuana and amphetamines in his system. The marijuana traces were consistent with a history of such use, while Cervini had been perscribed no drugs that would have accounted for the positive amphetamine results.
Under oath, James Cervini claimed that he and Christopher were standing still with their hands up when Christopher was shot — an assertion James never made prior to the trial.  If it seems strange to you that he never brought this up before to taking the stand, you aren’t alone in your incredulity. This seems to me an obvious lie — last-minute perjury intended to damn Roderick Scott by false witness.
Now, here’s something relevant, something you need to know about Christopher Cervini’s cousin James. James, at 15, has been on probation not once, but twice, for assisting in a burglary and for holding a knife to the throat of a ten-year-old boy (reportedly over a dispute involving marijuana).  Roderick Scott’s defense attorney, a brilliant lawyer named John Parrinello (to whom Scott owes his freedom), argued during the trial that it was very likely Christopher rushed Roderick Scott in an attempt to help his cousin James escape.  Both “kids” knew that James would be in trouble were he caught committing more petty theft.
Roderick Scott took the stand in his own defense, explaining that he “looked outside the front door to see what was going on,” identifying “three individuals walking out of [his] driveway.”   He “intended to go out and stop the criminal act or detain them.”  He then chambered a round in his weapon.  “I had no idea what was going on,” he said, ”so I had to protect myself.”  He was, he testified, aware that he was outnumbered, and that is key to this issue as a self-defense scenario.  When outnumbered, even if those facing you are unarmed, you are generally justified to use a force multiplier — a weapon — to defend yourself.
“I wanted to stop them before they could get away,” he admitted. “We live so far away, they would have been gone before police got there.”  When Scott told the three teenagers that he had called the police, Christopher Cervini broke from the group and ran at him, shouting either, “I’ll get you” to Scott or “I’ll get him” to his fellow thieves.  Scott fired two shots in response.
John Parrinello shrewdly released Scott’s 911 call following the shooting.  On it, Roderick Scott and his girlfriend can be heard; Scott’s statements to the operator come without hesitation.  His account of the incident is consistent with his testimony, and his tone and demeanor are anything  but that of a trigger-happy vigilante.
Monroe County Assistant District Attorney Julie Finnochio, by contrast, ruthlessly and relentlessly prosecuted Scottt.  She got the last word during closing arguments, too, and tried to tell the jury that, regardless of the circumstances, the shooting was not justified. After the jury came back with their verdict of not guilty, she couldn’t resist the chance to twist the knife in Scott’s guts — or to further the propaganda that has been spewing from her office from the outset.  “I just hope it’s not a message to this community,” she sniffed, “that you have the right to shoot an unarmed 17-year-old kid for breaking into a car.”
This is intellectually dishonest. The woman is still trying to paint Scott, now a free and vindicated man, as a cold-blooded murderer.  These “kids” — these teenaged, drunken, drug-addled, sometimes knife-toting petty criminals — were not shot at for breaking into a car, but for trying to assault Roderick Scott when he caught them committing a robbery.
Cervini’s family, for their part, had the gall to shriek that Christopher was “brutally murdered” — that poor, innocent Christopher Cervini was essentially on trial alongside Roderick Scott.  In the Cervinis’ eyes, Scott “was the judge, jury, and executioner.”  Never you mind that Scott himself just sat before a jury and a judge whose job it was to pass sentence over him. In the twisted, unreal world of those who make excuses for drug-abusing, potentially violent thieves, it is a law-abiding citizen defending himself with a legal weapon who must prove his innocence after the fact.
Even the dead boy shared his family’s sense of entitlement — their indignant cries of “murder” after their boy died a victim of his own criminal stupidity.  By Roderick Scott’s own testimony, we know that, as Christopher Cervini bled out into a gutter on that suburban street, he uttered the words, “I’m just a kid.”  Those words will probably haunt Roderick Scott.  They should bother all of us, for Cervini clearly thought that, to the end, he should not be held responsiblity for either theft or attempted assault.
Worse still is the fact that there are plenty of people in Roderick Scott’s neighborhood, and in the greater Western New York area, who wrongly think he’s a murderer. The local AM talk shows featured many Mondy morning quarterbacks, newly minted firearms experts pontificating from ignroance on why the shooting could not be justified.  Why, after the fact, we learned that those teenagers weren’t armed this time, so clearly Roderick Scott could not have feared for his life.  After all, the man dared to leave his home and confront those committing a crime.  Has he learned nothing from living in modern society in New York State?  You’re supposed to cower in your home, hiding under the couch, praying dearly that those terrible, mean people outside won’t choose to come inside.  You’ll have plenty of time to pray while you’re on hold with the 911 operator, waiting for police who can’t possibly get there in time.
This is what’s wrong with the culture of New York State.  Our state values victims over victors.  It enshrines passivity over direct action to preempt or thwart criminal activity.  It excuses the acts of teenaged thugs, revising history to absolve them of blame for their petty crimes, while pillorying good citizens who dare to defend themselves with legally permitted arms.
In a state with the strictest gun control in the union, to own a legal handgun is no small thing.  Roderick Scott is a decent person who did everything legally and correctly… yet in the minds of many, he is the villain simply because he dared not to do nothing.  Had this shooting occurred in another state with less liberal hand-wringing underlying its legal code, it’s possible Roderick Scott would never have stood trial.  It is, quite frankly, a miracle that the jury — deadlocked just a few hours before it came to the “not guilty” verdict — eventually granted Scott his life back.
Fortunately, Roderick Scott is not bitter.  “I feel that justice was served today,” he said after his legal ordeal.
His lawyer was diplomatic but more pointed: “I just want to say that I hope this case sends a message to families out there to watch their kids, to know where they are and what they are doing.”
That lawyer’s message is clear: If your kids live like garbage, trade in garbage, and contribute nothing to their community but garbage, they very well may die like garbage.  If that happens they have no one to blame but themselves… though their parents ought to think good and hard about whether they share responsibility.   http://themartialist.net/?p=306

Pat

Posted Image

#9 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,314 posts

Posted July 18 2013 - 02:51 PM

Can we have retroactive rage and rioting?
There are no illegal guns - just undocumented guns.
It's not about gun control .......it's about total control. We are not subjects - we are citizens!  >:(
Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

http://www.votesmart.org - Look up elected officials 8)

John Galt was right!

#10 Sheeple

Sheeple

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member

• 7,690 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted July 18 2013 - 03:19 PM

Roderick Scott was trained to kill people and he was a vigilante acting like a police officer!!111!111

Oh wait, no he wasn't. Just like Zimmerman wasn't.

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,532 posts

Posted July 18 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostBLAMMO, on July 18 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Just realized, story is from 2009. I must have missed Sharpton's outrage back then.

Sharpton was outraged......   Outraged that Mr. Scott was being prosecuted for defending himself!  

View PostBillyBonds, on July 18 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Very good find.  I will however refrain from sharing this on my FB.  I have been completely quiet on this topic out of respect for some of my friends who due to their race, can ONLY see things from the pro-Trayvon side.  There are a few hard-core libs though that have yet to delete me that constantly post anti-Zimmerman nonsense on FB that I would love to shove this in their face.

You're afraid to share it, you make like a sheep when others assault your sensibilities....  You are giving up without a fight!
....If you really "..would love to shove this in their face."  Then WHY DON'T YOU?

We NEED people to stand up, speak out, and say "This is WRONG" "Martin was a thug, here's proof"
-Anyone who says 'no one should use a gun for self-defense' has NEVER been attacked, or had a but-kicking, and felt that fear.
Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users