Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Passenger plates on a HD pickup???

passenger plates on hd pickup

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19,574 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 09:49 PM

SMH, how is that even possible. I know, MTA is bi-state but seriously...

Bacause EZ pass is for the toll amount, nothing to do with DMV
  • NRATC53 and Evoempire like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#62 anthony5.56

anthony5.56

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 528 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:03 PM

If it's a "HD" truck why do you even need plates on it if it's just gonna stay home and defend your driveway? :laugh:
  • NRATC53 and Tonto like this

#63 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,957 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 04:45 AM

All of that applies...the fact is you are gambling and running the risk of a ticket for a violation of VTL section 402 sub 4 with passenger plates on your p/u, which a Judge will convict.
Other members can make their own decision based on the information given and attempt to register their p/u w/ passenger plates or stick w/ commercial plates.

Also, the application for registration has 2 SEPARATE locations to enter 2 separate weights; the second applies specifically to p/u trucks and should be the total front an rear MGVW (GAWR) listed on the driver door jamb.

SMH...

The GVW spot on the registration form is for commercial vehicles, I am not running the risk of anything. I will no longer reply to you on this as you do not understand the registration process in NYS.

#64 NorthForkSportsman

NorthForkSportsman

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • Others: MOD - Buy/Sell
  • 9,630 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between here and Hawaii

Posted June 21 2014 - 05:20 AM

You are right, my F150 Super Cab weighs 6800 lbs.

Incorrect see the chart

Attached Files

#65 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,363 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted June 21 2014 - 05:37 AM

SMH...

I will no longer reply to you on this as you do not understand the registration process in NYS.

:D...LOL!

Edited by mrprovy, June 21 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#66 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted June 21 2014 - 06:56 AM

Look I have been doing this for the past 30 years.

To get passenger plates on a pick truck!! 1) It Must weigh less than 5500 pounds ,the actual weight is on your reg.
2) Over 5500 put a cap and seat belts ,and a seat.
3) Attach a slide in camper and register it as a motor home.

That is it!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is unrelated ,IF you want to pay less at the E Z PASS do this.

1) Get a black plate reader that gets attached to your front license plate.

or
2) Go DMV and LOWER your GMVW if your truck can be loaded to 8500 pounds than have DMV amend it to 6500 lbs Your plates and REGISTRATION will be cheaper and so will EZ PASS.
  • Hannco likes this

#67 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted April 07 2016 - 06:06 PM

::::::Thread resurrection ::::::

Google brought me back here (also) while searching for answers. I figured some updates would be useful as I'm in the market and eyeing a 2014 or 15 ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins.
A relevant point but not in my case as I would be way over anyway, I noticed dmv changed the 5500lb limit to 6001lbs for passenger plates.
What has me curious is how people are configuring things, if anything has changed and if there have been any issues.
The way I'm reading it, if I buy the truck and put a cap on it, it should be good to go. ( do I really need camping gear in the back?) I don't want a cap but it looks like that's going to have to be the sacrifice I make. Has anyone gone this route recently and has there been any problems with officials on the road? If I buy from a dealer and get it registered through them do I need to buy a cap from them too or will they register it as passenger on my word that I intend to install one on my own?

#68 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 08 2016 - 06:09 AM

::::::Thread resurrection ::::::

Google brought me back here (also) while searching for answers. I figured some updates would be useful as I'm in the market and eyeing a 2014 or 15 ram 2500 with the 6.7 cummins.
A relevant point but not in my case as I would be way over anyway, I noticed dmv changed the 5500lb limit to 6001lbs for passenger plates.
What has me curious is how people are configuring things, if anything has changed and if there have been any issues.
The way I'm reading it, if I buy the truck and put a cap on it, it should be good to go. ( do I really need camping gear in the back?) I don't want a cap but it looks like that's going to have to be the sacrifice I make. Has anyone gone this route recently and has there been any problems with officials on the road? If I buy from a dealer and get it registered through them do I need to buy a cap from them too or will they register it as passenger on my word that I intend to install one on my own?

Yes they recently changed the weight limit....per my typical luck, right after I had to jump through hoops to get passenger plates for my F150 super crew. I ummmm bought a ummmmm cap and seats etc to register it as a suburban. Then went to dmv to sign off that I did the changes and was able to get passenger plates. Unfortunately, I didn't like the look so I was able to return the cap, seats and belts right after they changed the limit. Yeah that's it...haven't changed the registration...drove plenty before they adjusted the weight limit with just a rolling cover, never had any issues.

Doubt you would have issues unless you got into an accident or was pulled over for something else......although the 2500 and diesel does draw more attention as a commercial vehicle......what's the weight on those trucks? I've heard rumors that if you're close to the limit, you can go to a certified scale with the tailgate off, coast in on fumes, no spare tire, etc to get the weight below the limit. Then take that to dmv........I don't personally know anyone that has done this for the record. Additionally, it doesn't make sense that they would allow it bc how do they know what vehicle was on the scale .....could be yours could be mine....then again you're dealing with dmv

#69 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted April 08 2016 - 06:38 AM

Yes they recently changed the weight limit....per my typical luck, right after I had to jump through hoops to get passenger plates for my F150 super crew. I ummmm bought a ummmmm cap and seats etc to register it as a suburban. Then went to dmv to sign off that I did the changes and was able to get passenger plates. Unfortunately, I didn't like the look so I was able to return the cap, seats and belts right after they changed the limit. Yeah that's it...haven't changed the registration...drove plenty before they adjusted the weight limit with just a rolling cover, never had any issues.

Doubt you would have issues unless you got into an accident or was pulled over for something else......although the 2500 and diesel does draw more attention as a commercial vehicle......what's the weight on those trucks? I've heard rumors that if you're close to the limit, you can go to a certified scale with the tailgate off, coast in on fumes, no spare tire, etc to get the weight below the limit. Then take that to dmv........I don't personally know anyone that has done this for the record. Additionally, it doesn't make sense that they would allow it bc how do they know what vehicle was on the scale .....could be yours could be mine....then again you're dealing with dmv

I can't be sure yet as each year is a little different but my research is turning up numbers like 7200 lbs. That's not even close.
aside from the big C on the side and the fact that it says 2500 It looks no different from a 1500 with a hemi as far as size and appearance. 1500 series trucks are common in parkways now, I don't think anyone gives then a second look.

I'm not happy about capping it but I'll do it if I have to. What happens if I remove the cap to put an atv in and take expressways? I would imagine that would be the same as it being registered out of class.

#70 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:02 AM

Techincally, anytime you remove the cap, you're out of class. is anyone going to break your balls about it.....doubt it.

#71 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,363 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:08 AM

The weight limits for registration of pickup trucks are based upon MAX GVW, not GVW... The 2500 diesel trucks max out somewhere around 13,000lbs. Way to high for passenger plates. Look at the door jamb and add up the max limits for the front and rear, that's what I'd supposed to registered

Edited by mrprovy, April 08 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#72 slowryder

slowryder

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,200 posts

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:09 AM

This is off NYDMV website.
https://dmv.ny.gov/r...r-class-vehicle

Register a pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle
Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?

Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)
NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.

You are not required to apply for passenger class plates for your pick-up. You can use commercial plates.

See Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners (MV-114) to get more information.

How can I find my truck’s unladen weight?

The unladen weight of your pick-up truck is stamped on a metal plate and located on the door of your vehicle. The unladen weight is also listed on your title certificate. The unladen weight is different from the maximum gross weight (MGW) listed on your registration documents. Before you apply, make sure that the unladen weight of the truck is 6,000 lbs. or less.

Does passenger class change the MGW listed on registration documents?

No. Passenger class plates on a pick-up truck do not change the maximum gross weight (MGW) listed on the registration documents or the unladen weight listed on the title certificate.

Does passenger class change the registration fees?

No. Passenger class plates on a pick-up truck do not change the registration fees. Commercial registration fees still apply. The DMV requests the unladen weight to verify that your pick-up truck is eligible for passenger class plates. The DMV does not change the unladen weight or the MGW.

How do I apply for passenger class plates?

You must apply in person at a DMV office.

You must surrender your commercial plates (be sure to remove frames and fasteners), and bring your

Click to check/uncheck the box.original title (not a photocopy)

Click to check/uncheck the box.current NYS Insurance ID card (proof of auto liability insurance) 1

Click to check/uncheck the box.proofs of identity and age 2

Click to check/uncheck the box.a completed Vehicle Registration Application (MV-82) - be sure to complete section 6, question 4

Click to check/uncheck the box.payment for the fee to register as a Passenger Class ($28.75)

The DMV office will issue new registration documents and standard passenger plates with a new number.

If you had custom plates or personalized plates, your new registration documents will list the numbers from your plates. The DMV will send you new passenger custom or personalized plates by mail.

My pick-up is rented or leased. What do I need to do?

You must submit a certification (form) provided by the leasing company or owner of the pick-up truck which states that the truck will not be used for commercial purposes.

My registration is about to expire. Can I change the class when I renew?

If your registration will expire in less than 60 days, you can renew your registration at a DMV office and change to passenger class plates when you renew.

You can also get passenger plates with no additional fee when you register a pick-up truck for the first time.

My pick-up truck weighs more than 6,000 pounds. Can I still register it as a passenger class?

No. If you have a pick-up truck that has an unladen weight of 6,001 lbs. or more, you cannot apply for passenger class plates through the process described above. You must modify the truck to qualify for a passenger class registration and passenger class plates. Learn more about vehicle modifications for registration class changes.

If I register my truck as a passenger class, can I drive it on parkways?

The agency that controls a parkway decides if pick-up trucks with passenger class plates are allowed on the parkway. To make sure you can drive your pick-up truck on a parkway, contact the agency that manages the parkway. Some parking regulations and traffic regulations in New York City depend on the type of vehicle plates on your vehicle. Passenger class plates on your pick-up truck can change how NYC regulations affect you. Contact New York City about their regulations.

Edited by slowryder, April 08 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#73 MetalHead

MetalHead

Giraffe Hunter

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,768 posts
  • Locationfarmingdale

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:16 AM

The weight limits for registration of pickup trucks are based upon MAX GVW, not GVW... The 2500 diesel trucks max out somewhere around 13,000lbs. Way to high for passenger plates. Look at the door jamb and add up the max limits for the front and rear, that's what I'd supposed to registered

From what ive been reading, this is not correct. Its actual dry curb weight.
I understand the rules, Im more interested in actual experiences. Who has done it, how did it go for you and have there been any issues?

#74 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:23 AM

I understand the rules, Im more interested in actual experiences. Who has done it, how did it go for you and have there been any issues?

The easiest way is to buy a cap, or say you modified your truck. The DMV does not inspect. The reality of it is this ,like any thing else in life if you do something to draw attention to yourself then you may have a issue,It is unlikely that local LEOs know the DMV laws or even care. Highway patrol is more on topic but stay out of trouble and you will be fine. No ladders ,signs ,full loads , racks ,drunk driving ,45 inch lifted monster big foot fire breathing alcohol burning wheelie poppin family vehicles.
I had a Chevy one ton and a ford Superduty 250 crew and a Dodge Cummins with passenger plates. Just behave.
  • MetalHead likes this

#75 DaveJr.

DaveJr.

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 853 posts

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:44 AM

I have seen plenty of 3500/350's and 2500/250's on the parkways in NY. This doesn't make any sense.

#76 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,363 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted April 08 2016 - 08:56 AM

Based on the above referenced change, I do stand corrected; what I posted was referring to pre-change in the DMV regulations
  • MetalHead likes this

#77 CtOldCorps

CtOldCorps

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 631 posts
  • LocationSayville

Posted April 08 2016 - 09:31 AM

DMV offers an alternative that if there is permanently installed camping equipment in the bed, it can be registered as passenger, but later defines the equipment as a stove, fridge, and bed. Who the heck has a permanent stove or fridge in the bed of their pickup?

Is there any regulation on the size of said gear?

Posted Image
  • MetalHead and Diesel1 like this

#78 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted April 08 2016 - 11:03 AM

One other thing of note is the insurance issue with being out of class registration. Your carrier can deny coverage if this is the case.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: passenger, plates, on, hd, pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users