Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Passenger plates on a HD pickup???

passenger plates on hd pickup

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 11:15 AM

..I did a google seach and it returned me back to this thread :)

HOw can I get passenger plates on a 2010 ram 2500?

I have someone who can do this. I just got passenger plates on my F250. Shoot me a message if you want to know more.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 DIESEL

DIESEL

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 379 posts
  • LocationOFFSHORE

Posted June 20 2014 - 11:20 AM

Sorry you had a rough morning. Read the thread again, the answer is here for you. Dodge trucks have the same rules as Ford trucks. Unladen weight 5500 for passenger plates.
  • The Architect likes this

#43 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:16 PM

Been looking into this for my F150 Super Crew Raptor - Apparently it's the curb weight of 6,200lbs that's the culprit. Weird because an Escalade is also over 5,500 lbs (It's 5,800) and they get passenger plates. Dealers used to issue the supercrew's with passenger plates until the DMV caught on and started informing dealers that they need to have commercial plates or face fines. The regular cabs are good to go despite being 6,000lbs which makes no sense.

I have 4 doors and a miniscule bed that's not being used for anything my 97 Expedition hasn't done (Home depot runs for personal use). When I have vacation in early July, I will be playing the DMV game. According to the law, I need to shed some weight or slap a cap with a seat and seatbelt in the back...

Anyone know if the curb weight is with or without fuel? If I run her dry, I save approximately 200lbs, over 100 if I lose the spare, probably 60 -70 if I lose the tailgate, still have to find around 400 lbs to lose...anyone have 4 donuts to fit a F150? lol

Would DMV take a weight from a scale like Town of Huntington dump? I'm sure I can get the weight of my F150 to be under 5,500lbs...cough cough..

Stupid state with stupid laws

#44 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:32 PM

All 150/1500 class pickups will come with passenger plates from the dealership, regardless of weight. All 150/1500 class crew cabs are over 5500 lbs. The whole thing is as corrupt and moronic as anything else in this state. So every contractor using their f150 for commercial purposes can have passenger plates, while any weekend warrior with a HD to pull their toys has to get raped with commercial plates.

#45 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:36 PM

Been looking into this for my F150 Super Crew Raptor - Apparently it's the curb weight of 6,200lbs that's the culprit. Weird because an Escalade is also over 5,500 lbs (It's 5,800) and they get passenger plates. Dealers used to issue the supercrew's with passenger plates until the DMV caught on and started informing dealers that they need to have commercial plates or face fines. The regular cabs are good to go despite being 6,000lbs which makes no sense.

I have 4 doors and a miniscule bed that's not being used for anything my 97 Expedition hasn't done (Home depot runs for personal use). When I have vacation in early July, I will be playing the DMV game. According to the law, I need to shed some weight or slap a cap with a seat and seatbelt in the back...

Anyone know if the curb weight is with or without fuel? If I run her dry, I save approximately 200lbs, over 100 if I lose the spare, probably 60 -70 if I lose the tailgate, still have to find around 400 lbs to lose...anyone have 4 donuts to fit a F150? lol

Would DMV take a weight from a scale like Town of Huntington dump? I'm sure I can get the weight of my F150 to be under 5,500lbs...cough cough..

Stupid state with stupid laws

No, it goes by GVW. That's printed on the sticker, and has nothing to do with curb weight.

#46 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,576 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:47 PM

Had this when I registered my '03 Dodge Crew Cab 2500 Diesel. FL title uses Gross weight, NY passenger registration uses vehicle weight. Window clerk gave me a bit of a hard time until I convinced her to punch it in and then it came up passenger eligible. I had a few Pickups with cap and bunk etc before the law changed. If you register passenger and drive on Parkway you are at risk for improper registration or commercial on parkway, I have seen both summonses written for others

Keep in mind, unless things have changed, even with passenger plates you still cannot use the left hand lane on the LIE, which also mean you cannot use the HOV lane.

Since when? There is nothing about that in the VTL that I'm aware of

I'm with Bill on this... there is no LAW saying a cap or camping crap is required for passenger plates - never was.

DMV 'rules' maybe - never could find anything in writing either.

BUT - back in the 90's those silly rules were dropped, no more requirement for a cap/seats/whatever to register a pickup as a passenger vehicle.

I've had a few pickups - all had Passenger plates - first time after the 'rule' change I got a bit of a hard time from the DMV clerk - I just said "Put it through - you're WRONG..." another time the pickup had commercial plates under the previous owner (that sold it to a dealer that I got it from) and that time the clerk tried telling me that it "has to be commercial since that's how it was before"... again it was "Put it through - you're WRONG" and she did, but then tries telling me it "can never be changed again"

Just get a supervisor involved and they'll get it sorted.... LOTS of vehicles over 5500 pounds are registered as Passenger.
  • The Architect and NRATC53 like this

#47 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 3,937 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 12:51 PM

1/2 ton p/u w/o advertising,lettering etc ie not in commercial use are ok for passenger plates, 3/4 and above are a no go. I am not going to get into specifics here, as if I am off by a pound or so, I may get corrected... What I will say is on the DMV registration form, there is a section you must sign under penalty of a misd. that your vehicle is under a certain weight or meets the guidelines of a passenger vehicle. Bottom line is, If your vehicle does not meet those guidelines and does have passenger plates, you can be ticketed, I am not saying you will but you can, I know officers that ticket for this specific thing and people who have been ticketed for it. I know many do this for parkway use and such, dealers do it when you buy a car etc but it still is something that you can be ticketed for

#48 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 01:01 PM

Use a title service and have the title amended, then there is no out of class registration.

#49 Mopar14889

Mopar14889

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThe 7th circle of hell.

Posted June 20 2014 - 05:38 PM

A 2500 4x4 from NJ can ride our parkways all day,,,but the people who pay the road tax in this state can't drive the same truck in their own state,,unless they lie,or cheat..and if you don't have business writing on your door,,you can't park in the city..this is all so Crazy..and the DMV will never change it..

It doesn't have to be professional lettering, I remember when I was young my step dad got a ticket because he did a job in the city and didn't have lettering on his truck. He just taped a price of cardboard with the company name written on it in marker and that was acceptable. Now if you don't want to go all ghetto like that you can get a magnetic sign saying whatever you want from vista print for $10-25 depending on how much you put on it.

#50 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 06:16 PM

No, it goes by GVW. That's printed on the sticker, and has nothing to do with curb weight.

Actually it has everything to do with curb weight, NOT GVW
http://dmv.ny.gov/re...r-class-vehicle

Register a pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle

Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?
Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it
  • is only used for non-commercial purposes
  • has an unladen weight of 5,500 lbs. or less (the unladen weight of your pick-up truck is listed on the title certificate and on the door sticker)
  • does not have any business advertisements on it
  • has been modified per required specifications – learn more about vehicle modifications for registration class changes.
You are not required to apply for passenger class plates for your pick-up. You can use commercial plates.
See Information For Pick-Up Truck Owners (MV-114) to get more information.

I'm with Bill on this... there is no LAW saying a cap or camping crap is required for passenger plates - never was.

DMV 'rules' maybe - never could find anything in writing either.

BUT - back in the 90's those silly rules were dropped, no more requirement for a cap/seats/whatever to register a pickup as a passenger vehicle.

I've had a few pickups - all had Passenger plates - first time after the 'rule' change I got a bit of a hard time from the DMV clerk - I just said "Put it through - you're WRONG..." another time the pickup had commercial plates under the previous owner (that sold it to a dealer that I got it from) and that time the clerk tried telling me that it "has to be commercial since that's how it was before"... again it was "Put it through - you're WRONG" and she did, but then tries telling me it "can never be changed again"

Just get a supervisor involved and they'll get it sorted.... LOTS of vehicles over 5500 pounds are registered as Passenger.

The part I was talking about was the post where it was stated that you couldn't drive a pickup truck in the left or HOV lane even if it was registered as a passenger vehicle...I do it all the time and it is perfectly legal to do so as long as I have the proper passenger count for HOV during those hours

1/2 ton p/u w/o advertising,lettering etc ie not in commercial use are ok for passenger plates, 3/4 and above are a no go. I am not going to get into specifics here, as if I am off by a pound or so, I may get corrected... What I will say is on the DMV registration form, there is a section you must sign under penalty of a misd. that your vehicle is under a certain weight or meets the guidelines of a passenger vehicle. Bottom line is, If your vehicle does not meet those guidelines and does have passenger plates, you can be ticketed, I am not saying you will but you can, I know officers that ticket for this specific thing and people who have been ticketed for it. I know many do this for parkway use and such, dealers do it when you buy a car etc but it still is something that you can be ticketed for

No, not so. The lettering etc. can be a problem. As for the rest, see my reply at the top, straight from the DMV web site

#51 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 06:31 PM

This **** is so friggin stupid. So essentially I have to lie or get a cap seat and seat belts so I can be compliant with an outdated law.

My beef is that other 1/2 ton pickups that weigh more than 5500 lbs get passenger plates from the dealer..wtf

#52 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:10 PM

This back & forth ust gave me a headache...the long & short of it:

Goes by MAXIMUM gross vehicle weight rating.

F150's/1500 series P/U truck's can be registered passenger unless there is commercial advertisement on it (magmetic ads included).

F250's/2500's must be registered commercial unless there is a seat w/seatbelt perminently mounted in the enclosed p/u bed. Seats behind the driver within the cab DO NOT COUNT...must be in the p/u bed.

Look on the door sticker and total the front and rear weight limits...all 2500/F250's & up will be rated over 8500lbs (regulations state 8501lbs and up must be registered commercial unless bed has been modified as described above).

VTL states that the commissioner of motor vehicles determines the plates to be on the vehicle (hence, no specifics on the topic in the VTL). The information that I provided IS in the DMV commissioner's regulations; hard to find, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Weight on title has nothing to do w/ whether or not you can be ticketed b/c you could put 3000lbs as your weight when you go to DMV. The burden is on the owner/operator to know what weight to put on the application, not the DMV clerk.

If anyone needs further clarification, feel free to PM me.

Edited by mrprovy, June 20 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#53 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'm not that smart but when I went to the DMV web site it said just the opposite (which I posted above w/ the link). When I went to register my 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel the clerk informed me that it had to go commercial or I had to change body type. I had her enter it in and the correct (Curb) weight popped in the form and she said "Oh, look at that" and I completed the transaction, left with my Passenger plates and was done. No Commissioner's regs, no camper, nothing.

#54 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:26 PM

It's not like you can look up the regs online or anything...

#55 Diesel1

Diesel1

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:31 PM

It's not like you can look up the regs online or anything...

Tried sending you a pm but couldn't. Did you just tell the clerk that it was a suburban?

#56 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:40 PM

Tried sending you a pm but couldn't. Did you just tell the clerk that it was a suburban?

No, Florida title had gross weight and that was causing her to tell me to change to camper or Subn, she proffered the form but I declined and got her to enter it in.. When she started to enter it into the system, the actual weight (which I had told her what it was but she didn't understand) showed up automatically

#57 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:44 PM

Everyone can review the links below and make your own determination. But, be prepared to spend a couple of days in court if/when you get a ticket. Oh, BTW, the violation for which you will be ticketed for requires you to bring your plates into court with you to surrender (or proof of change in registration).

DMV's website also includes the following disclaimer: "Important: The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle."

FYI (& you can check your door)...None of the diesel pickups are less than 8500lbs max gross weight!

http://dmv.ny.gov/node/4079
http://www.fightnyti...commercial.html

#58 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 21,027 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:58 PM

Everyone can review the links below and make your own determination. But, be prepared to spend a couple of days in court if/when you get a ticket. Oh, BTW, the violation for which you will be ticketed for requires you to bring your plates into court with you to surrender (or proof of change in registration).

DMV's website also includes the following disclaimer: "Important: The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle."

FYI (& you can check your door)...None of the diesel pickups are less than 8500lbs max gross weight!

http://dmv.ny.gov/node/4079
http://www.fightnyti...commercial.html

None of that applies unless you change something to alter your registration class. Once again, it is the curb weight, NOT the Gross weight. I posted the text, straight from NYS DMV which (surprisingly) is very clear. I put the URL there as well. What part of that don't you get?

ETA: My unmodified Dodge 2500 diesel pickup is registerd with passenger plates., I did nothing but ask the clerk to enter it as a pickup and give me passenger plates which she did. No magic, no lying about anything, all perfectly legit

Edited by NRATC53, June 20 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• NorthForkSportsman and bigbore44 like this

#59 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted June 20 2014 - 08:20 PM

All of that applies...the fact is you are gambling and running the risk of a ticket for a violation of VTL section 402 sub 4 with passenger plates on your p/u, which a Judge will convict.
Other members can make their own decision based on the information given and attempt to register their p/u w/ passenger plates or stick w/ commercial plates.

Also, the application for registration has 2 SEPARATE locations to enter 2 separate weights; the second applies specifically to p/u trucks and should be the total front an rear MGVW (GAWR) listed on the driver door jamb.

#60 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted June 20 2014 - 08:59 PM

FYI, Ez Pass has different weight limits than DMV.

SMH, how is that even possible. I know, MTA is bi-state but seriously...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: passenger, plates, on, hd, pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users