Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Passenger plates on a HD pickup???

passenger plates on hd pickup

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 50bmgshooter

50bmgshooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationBaldwin

Posted June 05 2013 - 03:18 PM

even with passenger plates on a dulley with a white ezpass youwill get stopped at the bridges
also I have a 07 3500 dulley blue ezpass and still only pay normal rates at the tolls
you need to check how ezpass has your truck listed ill bet its not as a pick up but as abox truck

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Listen up,I don't dial 911.

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,589 posts
  • LocationMany miles from Uranis

Posted June 05 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well that's another wonderful thing about living in NY. A Dually forget it, mine has a curb weight of 8800 pounds and a gvw of 13000 pounds. You can lower your gvw at the DMV to lower the cost of your plates. But you still can not ride the parkways.

Back in the 80 s I had a one ton with passages plates, I used to terrorize people on the Ticonic pkw.Thats a narrow parkway up north.

As far as your EZPass"...........you enter the info when you apply for it...................

#23 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• 1,472 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just another BS law that this state has. NY sucks.

#24 Lazygent

Lazygent

1000th member

• Donated Member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:07 PM

A 2500 4x4 from NJ can ride our parkways all day,,,but the people who pay the road tax in this state can't drive the same truck in their own state,,unless they lie,or cheat..and if you don't have business writing on your door,,you can't park in the city..this is all so Crazy..and the DMV will never change it..

#25 PapaG

PapaG

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 207 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:12 PM

Do you guys have farm registration? If you live in a large city that might not work. My 3/4 ton cab 1/2 truck has farm tags and they cost a lot less. I do not have a eazy tag so I do not know how how that would show up.

off subject
I do know if you pull a race car trailer behind a dully DOT treats you like a 18 wheeler.5th wheel or tongue pull It does not matter if you have not for hire, not commercial use stickers on it. We even do not have any ads on the trailers. Just plain white sides..

It's all about the money.

#26 Captain Will

Captain Will

Banned

• Banned
  • 19,574 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 05:25 PM

My F350 CC is registered as a suburban not a pick up. Dually puts you over the top.

Ditto.

#27 mikester

mikester

Gun Guru

• 1,472 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:27 PM

Ive got a good story for you guys. Before I got hurt I used to go to Spring and Fall Carlisle every year. I would go in my crewcab and would drag my 18' open car trailer just in case I found a really great deal. So the last time that I went we left at around 3AM. Ive got my son and friend with me. We roll up to the toll booth and Im holding out $20 in my left hand. I NEVER paid more than $18 for the truck and trailer. The guy in the booth tells me he needs to see the registration. I look over at my kid and start laughing. I really thought the guy was kidding. I wave the $20 again and I tell him this is what I pay every time I pass through the booth. Probably over 25 times with that combination and NEVER more than the $18. He tells me theres no way hes letting me through. He needs to see the GVW of the truck. I tell him I dont have the registration with me. He tells me hes going to get a cop involved. I give him the registration. The azzhat charged me $36. He said everyone else that took my money made an error. That was the correct fee.
I tried to call the MTA that following Monday but they only had an email address. They replied that was the correct fee. There should be a huge sign at every bridge coming into this craphole state saying "Welcome to New York, Give Us Your Money"

Edited by mikester, June 05 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#28 artburg

artburg

Banned

• Banned
  • Others:
  • 6,303 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County Jail

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:37 PM

F-250 Sd here 5,540lbs.....I feel your pain.My daily driver,not a work truck.
I also see bigger trucks than mine with passenger plates.
I was gonna pull some stuff off and have DMV re-weigh it lol

#29 r.4oofer

r.4oofer

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 3,453 posts
  • LocationShirley

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:08 PM

I have a 350 & a lady at DMV was understanding & asked me if I had made perm mods to make it a suburban while nodding yes to me. I now have passenger plates. Ive had em for 3 years & no prob. It makes the tolls more bearable when I work in westchester.

#30 Kimber Carry

Kimber Carry

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationIn The S#*+!!

Posted June 05 2013 - 09:13 PM

As long as its a crew cab with seats and belts should be ok for passanger plates. Have to get the right lady at dmv

#31 TestDrv321

TestDrv321

Respected Gunowner

• 139 posts
  • LocationBay Shore NY

Posted June 05 2013 - 09:19 PM

You can usually get away with it on a single rear wheel but not going to happen on a dually. Write to you State legislators, tags how we got the law changed back in the 90's to allow the lighter pickups

#32 GSM-Racing

GSM-Racing

Respected Gunowner

• Club LIF Member
  • 200 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 08:27 PM

My wife has a 3500 dually crew cab, and I was told by DMV that I had to have a permanent camper body installed, which they said would never actually be verified, they just go on your word. With that I could change the registration to suburban and get passenger plates. I never did it because I plan to trade the truck in soon and I didn't want to have a problem with the registration when I got rid of it.

#33 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,380 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted June 16 2013 - 02:04 AM

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf 5500 pounds un-laden for a pick up to get passenger plates. F150's make it, the 250's and up do not. Campers are registered as suburbans. You gotta have a good reason to want to drive a dually in NYC. My guess is try out of state

This is the correct information; the law does not have anything to do with the cab size, just the fact that it has a pickup bed with 4 walls. the 4 wall pickup bed is why a chevy avalanche can be registered passenger...it only has 3 sides to the bed. The requirement for passenger plates on an F250/350 is a cap with a perminantly installed seat and setbelt within the pickup bed.
The f150's DO require commercial plates if there is any kind of commercial advertizing on the vehicle, including the door magnet type.

I have a 350 & a lady at DMV was understanding & asked me if I had made perm mods to make it a suburban while nodding yes to me. I now have passenger plates. Ive had em for 3 years & no prob. It makes the tolls more bearable when I work in westchester.

You run the risk of a ticket for out-of-class plates if the above is not installed...the catch to an out-of-class ticket is that you would have to surrender the passenger plates to the court or otherwise show the court that you re-registered commercial.

Edited by mrprovy, June 16 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#34 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:15 AM

..I did a google seach and it returned me back to this thread :)

HOw can I get passenger plates on a 2010 ram 2500?

#35 DonTreadOnMe

DonTreadOnMe

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 185 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:30 AM

I transferred the plates from my 1500 to my 2500, dealer said I had to put a topper on it. So I did and all set.

#36 GMAN3006

GMAN3006

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 300 posts
  • LocationHICKVILLE

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:39 AM

My F250 SC is registered as a suburban not a pick up. I needed to put a cap that was as high as the cab on. I got one of the cheap aluminum ones ez to take off.hate the way it looks when it on but its nice when you need to keep things dry.

#37 cs109

cs109

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:39 AM

There appears to be only one dodge ram 2500 model that can be legally registered with passenger plates.

Go by base weight.

http://www.dodge.com...rammlup2500.pdf

#38 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:46 AM

There appears to be only one dodge ram 2500 model that can be legally registered with passenger plates.

Go by base weight.

http://www.dodge.com...rammlup2500.pdf

Whats the base weight limit, my apologies for not knowing. Rough morning

#39 Big Matt

Big Matt

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,287 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:49 AM

FYI, Ez Pass has different weight limits than DMV.

#40 cs109

cs109

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:49 AM

Whats the base weight limit, my apologies for not knowing. Rough morning

• Hannco likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: passenger, plates, on, hd, pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users