Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Boy Scouts Vote To Lift Gay Ban, Will Allow Openly Gay Youths To Become Members

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
255 replies to this topic

#21 cMc214

cMc214

Cuomo Gets A Big

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostProGodProGunProLife, on May 24 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

The troops (at least my son's troop) are lead by fathers of the boys and a good percentage of the Dads who are not leaders stay for the weekly meetings and attend the various trips and events.  All the brigade members are very safe.

I do appreciate your tolerance, though.

I don't doubt it just judging a book by its cover.... thats the theme here isn't it?
Proud LIF Member
NRA Member
Navy Veteran

#22 ProGodProGunProLife

ProGodProGunProLife

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:57 AM

View PostMad Russian, on May 24 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

OOOOOOOGAHHHHH!!! FABULOUS!!!

I can just see it now: Makeup by firelight. Emergency mani-pedi added to the manual. What to wear to a jamboree if you have absolutely nothing fabulous to wear.

I can only imagine the new series of interesting merit badges that will be coming out (not pun intended) soon.  Actually, I'd rather not try to imagine.
NRA
Freeport R & R
NYSRPA

#23 MasonEtAl

MasonEtAl

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:58 AM

I commend the Boy Scouts for their tolerance and acceptance and believe it reenforces their existence as a relevant contemporary organization. LGBT persons exist and function as a part of society.  I don't believe it is a choice. I don't believe they are intent on sodomizing or converting non LGBT persons. Like other persons who are not LBGT they can and do contribute a great deal to society. Some of us are unaware that our idols and hero's are LBGT. Sexual preference does not define a person or their capabilities.
St George Tucker: “This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty … . The right to self-defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine the right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.”

NRA/ NYSRPA/ SAF Member

#24 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:59 AM

The ignorance of some of these comments leaves me flabbergasted.  Wow.
NRA Life Member (EPL)
Volunteer Firefighter, LFD- Bay Company
Assistant Scoutmaster
Composer/Conductor/Vocalist by trade

#25 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted May 24 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostMasonEtAl, on May 24 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

I commend the Boy Scouts for their tolerance and acceptance and believe it reenforces their existence as a relevant contemporary organization. LGBT persons exist and function as a part of society.  I don't believe it is a choice. I don't believe they are intent on sodomizing or converting non LGBT persons. Like other persons who are not LBGT they can and do contribute a great deal to society. Some of us are unaware that our idols and hero's are LBGT. Sexual preference does not define a person or their capabilities.

Thank you
NRA Life Member (EPL)
Assistant Scoutmaster

#26 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostOH UNCLE PAUL, on May 23 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

PRIVATE organization. How dare anyone tell them how to conduct their own.

Don't like it? Don't join. it's really that simple.

Not looking to start a fight.  I just wanted to say that this was voted on by a majority of the members of the organization.
NRA Life Member (EPL)
Assistant Scoutmaster

#27 jarad10

jarad10

Marksman

• 78 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is there ANY organization in America that can exclude certain behaviors any longer?  I mean jeesh.  If you don't like one place, then start your own.  Why does every group have to include every human, gender, animal, insect and crayon?  Boo hoo hoo, boy scouts don't admit girls, that is why there is a "girl scouts".  Boo hoo hoo that club does not want me cause I'm black, then make your own blacks only club.  boo hoo hoo I must be normal and straight to get into the boy scouts.  So what!  Start a gay scouts.... And so what if military academies and the military are male only!  Then women wonder why Men no longer respect them.  Ya ever think because you force men to treat you as men.... Why must all these people ruin others choices?

SO MUCH FOR THE LIBERAL MANTRA OF "CHOICE"  Ehh?

#28 cMc214

cMc214

Cuomo Gets A Big

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,880 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:13 PM

Some members of this thread are violating the 2nd!  The second rule of LIF that is!!

2. Please be respectful. Do not post anything which is offensive, hateful, racist, sexist, discriminatory, obscene, vulgar or in violation of local or international laws. Long Island Firearms does not endorsing ownership, operation or modification of any firearm that may be considered illegal.
Bumping a thread. Defined as replying to your post to keep the thread on the top of the forum. You can bump your post every 24 hours.

Proud LIF Member
NRA Member
Navy Veteran

#29 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:52 PM

It's about time they joined the rest of civilized society.

#30 iGreg

iGreg

Right-wing Sith

• Donated Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just as religious denominations had schisms when anti-Christian elements infiltrated and influenced policy, I expect the same will happen with the BSA. If I had sons there is no way I would allow them into this new rainbow version of scouts.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:" (Luke 11: 21)

NRA Member

#31 BoratSagdiyev

BoratSagdiyev

Respected Gunowner

• 169 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostMasonEtAl, on May 24 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

It is a beautiful and very politically correct speech you gave. I do believe you are missing a point though. Gay people have never been barred from participating in boyscouts, unless they wanted to discuss their sexual preferences. This organization is not about what kind of activities you prefer and whether those activities involve female or male genitalia. Now, if you do not see anything wrong with putting your underage son in the same tent with someone who admits to viewing other boys/men as sexual objects there is something definitely wrong with you. No, I do not believe that gays will automatically sodomize other boys and each other, I would never suggest it. There is a reason however why we have separate bathrooms and shower rooms for men and women. There is a reason why coed venture scouts never put boys and girls in the same tents. Why do you think that is? Because men and women naturally see each other as sexual objects. As a father of a girl would you want her to sleep next to a boy who wants to screw her? Is it different for you when it comes to your son sleeping next to someone who wants to do the same ? And if so then why so?

#32 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 24 2013 - 12:59 PM

Lmao im amazed at the amount of grown men that think coodies still exist. If your sons are gay, they're probably gay already. No scout master is gonna change that fellas. Let em all pitch tents together

#33 Habsfan

Habsfan

Token Canadian

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,453 posts
  • LocationHauppauge

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:09 PM

Don't ask, don't tell, don't care.... a person's sexual preference is their own and as long as no one is getting hurt it is nobody's business.  Scouts should just take the stance that all are welcome and sexual preference is not something to be discussed.
Ask me about my attention deficit disorder or pie or my dog. a cat. i have a bike. do you like tv? i saw a rock. hi.

That which doesn't kill me...... Better run like hell.

#34 Colfaulkner

Colfaulkner

Supreme Pontificator

• 6,971 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:20 PM

I have mixed emotions about this decision.  My visceral reaction is that it is repugnant.  Some may view "morally straight" as being subjective, but I do not.  When it comes to interpretation of our Constitution I am an originalist.  I believe the same approach is valid when examine what "morally straight" means.  We must look at how a reasonable person living at the time the Scout Oath was conceived would have defined the term.  Moreover, there is no doubt Baden-Powell himself believed in traditional Christian values.

As I examine the issue in greater depth my thoughts immediately go to what my grandfather would make of this decision.  He was born in Italy, but spent his formative years in England, living in West London.  He was not only a part of the Scouting Movement from its infancy, he also knew Baden-Powell personally.  In 1915 Baden-Powell presented him with the Gilt Cross for his actions in dragging a woman out of bombed out burning building following a German Zeppelin raid.  Following that event Baden-Powell not only recalled his name every time he saw him but often conversed with him at length.  As my grandfather was coming of age he wrestled with the decision of whether he should follow his older brothers example and join the British Army or if he should return to Italy to fight for his native land.  It was with Baden-Powell's counsel and blessing that he ultimately served in the Italian Army, fighting in the Alps against Austro-Hungarian and the German Alpenkorps.

After the war is stayed in Italy for a time, starting a Boy Scout Troop.  Then in 1920 he came to this nation and within five days he was affiliated with a troop.  He continued to actively participate in the Scouts until his death in 1986.  He was something of a regional legend in the Scouts.  His involvement in the movement led to personal friendships with Nelson Rockefeller, Cardinals Spellman and Cooke and numerous other figures.  He also corresponded for years with Robert Baden-Powell's son Peter.  All of these associations were formed upon the foundation of my grandfathers commitment to the Scouts and the difference he made in the lives of countless young people.

My grandfather was also a devout Catholic and certainly viewed homosexuality as a sin.  Yet he was a man who treated everyone with respect.  The Priest who eulogized him was an old friend who had travelled the city with him on many occasions.  He was humbled by the example he set in his dealings with homeless people, treating them no differently than he did the likes of Rockefeller and Spellman.  He was also impressed by the fact that every time they would travel into the city together at least one man would approach and thank my grandfather for what he meant in is life.

I can't imagine any man loved the Scout's and what they stand for more than my grandfather, except possibly Baden-Powell himself.  My initial belief was that he would view this as a sad new chapter for the Scouts.  But the more I think about my grandfather and the example he set, the more I think I may have been wrong.  I have no doubt he would draw a hard line on barring homosexual adults from being Scoutmasters.  But something inside me is telling me he would welcome these boys, despite their lifestyle, believing that they shouldn't be deprived of the profound difference the Scouts could make in their lives.  It would be like Father Flannagan turning a kid away from boys town because he was too bad.  Is homosexuality morally straight in the tradition of the Scouts?  Clearly not.  However, the Scout Oath is aspirational.  Thus if a boy of any stripe seeks out the many blessings of Scouting is it right to turn him away?  At present my inclination is to welcome these boys as long as they don't disrupt the larger mission of the Scouts.

#35 gunsngolf

gunsngolf

Semper Fi Semper Paratus

• Club LIF Member
  • 5,313 posts
  • LocationRight Overthere

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostBoratSagdiyev, on May 24 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

It is a beautiful and very politically correct speech you gave. I do believe you are missing a point though. Gay people have never been barred from participating in boyscouts, unless they wanted to discuss their sexual preferences. This organization is not about what kind of activities you prefer and whether those activities involve female or male genitalia. Now, if you do not see anything wrong with putting your underage son in the same tent with someone who admits to viewing other boys/men as sexual objects there is something definitely wrong with you. No, I do not believe that gays will automatically sodomize other boys and each other, I would never suggest it. There is a reason however why we have separate bathrooms and shower rooms for men and women. There is a reason why coed venture scouts never put boys and girls in the same tents. Why do you think that is? Because men and women naturally see each other as sexual objects. As a father of a girl would you want her to sleep next to a boy who wants to screw her? Is it different for you when it comes to your son sleeping next to someone who wants to do the same ? And if so then why so?

Wow! That is an ignorant remark. Just be cause there is a gay 14y/o scout sleeping in the same tent as your son DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING! What do you think he is going to do? Because he happens to be gay doesn't mean he's looking to dive into your son's sleeping bag. I have a son, and while he's a bit young for scouts just yet, I would have absolutely no reservations letting sleep in a tent with a openly gay youth (if he joins the scouts).

Some members here need to put their homophobia aside and look at reality.

Edited by gunsngolf, May 24 2013 - 01:25 PM.

"Criminals celebrate when politicians clear the path for their destructive ways." -Ted Nugent

Team Armalite

NRA  SAF member

Team LIF Trap and Skeet

#36 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:26 PM

View PostColfaulkner, on May 24 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

I have mixed emotions about this decision.  My visceral reaction is that it is repugnant.  Some may view "morally straight" as being subjective, but I do not.  When it comes to interpretation of our Constitution I am an originalist.  I believe the same approach is valid when examine what "morally straight" means.  We must look at how a reasonable person living at the time the Scout Oath was conceived would have defined the term.  Moreover, there is no doubt Baden-Powell himself believed in traditional Christian values.

As I examine the issue in greater depth my thoughts immediately go to what my grandfather would make of this decision.  He was born in Italy, but spent his formative years in England, living in West London.  He was not only a part of the Scouting Movement from its infancy, he also knew Baden-Powell personally.  In 1915 Baden-Powell presented him with the Gilt Cross for his actions in dragging a woman out of bombed out burning building following a German Zeppelin raid.  Following that event Baden-Powell not only recalled his name every time he saw him but often conversed with him at length.  As my grandfather was coming of age he wrestled with the decision of whether he should follow his older brothers example and join the British Army or if he should return to Italy to fight for his native land.  It was with Baden-Powell's counsel and blessing that he ultimately served in the Italian Army, fighting in the Alps against Austro-Hungarian and the German Alpenkorps.

After the war is stayed in Italy for a time, starting a Boy Scout Troop.  Then in 1920 he came to this nation and within five days he was affiliated with a troop.  He continued to actively participate in the Scouts until his death in 1986.  He was something of a regional legend in the Scouts.  His involvement in the movement led to personal friendships with Nelson Rockefeller, Cardinals Spellman and Cooke and numerous other figures.  He also corresponded for years with Robert Baden-Powell's son Peter.  All of these associations were formed upon the foundation of my grandfathers commitment to the Scouts and the difference he made in the lives of countless young people.

My grandfather was also a devout Catholic and certainly viewed homosexuality as a sin.  Yet he was a man who treated everyone with respect.  The Priest who eulogized him was an old friend who had travelled the city with him on many occasions.  He was humbled by the example he set in his dealings with homeless people, treating them no differently than he did the likes of Rockefeller and Spellman.  He was also impressed by the fact that every time they would travel into the city together at least one man would approach and thank my grandfather for what he meant in is life.

I can't imagine any man loved the Scout's and what they stand for more than my grandfather, except possibly Baden-Powell himself.  My initial belief was that he would view this as a sad new chapter for the Scouts.  But the more I think about my grandfather and the example he set, the more I think I may have been wrong.  I have no doubt he would draw a hard line on barring homosexual adults from being Scoutmasters.  But something inside me is telling me he would welcome these boys, despite their lifestyle, believing that they shouldn't be deprived of the profound difference the Scouts could make in their lives.  It would be like Father Flannagan turning a kid away from boys town because he was too bad.  Is homosexuality morally straight in the tradition of the Scouts?  Clearly not.  However, the Scout Oath is aspirational.  Thus if a boy of any stripe seeks out the many blessings of Scouting is it right to turn him away?  At present my inclination is to welcome these boys as long as they don't disrupt the larger mission of the Scouts.

#37 Colfaulkner

Colfaulkner

Supreme Pontificator

• 6,971 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostJoeyPBasically, on May 24 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Coming from the likes of you, I take that as a compliment.

#38 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostColfaulkner, on May 24 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Coming from the likes of you, I take that as a compliment.

well I take you taking that as a compliment as a compliment

#39 Colfaulkner

Colfaulkner

Supreme Pontificator

• 6,971 posts

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostJoeyPBasically, on May 24 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

well I take you taking that as a compliment as a compliment

I take you taking my taking it as a compliment a compliment plus infinity

#40 JoeyPBasically

JoeyPBasically

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,212 posts
  • LocationNew Hyde Park

Posted May 24 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostColfaulkner, on May 24 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

I take you taking my taking it as a compliment a compliment plus infinity

I take you taking my already taken compliment as a compliment a compliment TIMES infinity. check mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users