Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Anyone Fly Estes Model Rockets?

anyone fly estes model rockets

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,951 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted April 12 2017 - 10:14 AM

But when your 10 it fell more like this.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#62 firemanvin

firemanvin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • 479 posts

Posted April 12 2017 - 11:00 AM

the saturn 5,i think that was supposed to be the hardest one to build,at the time from ESTES! those flying model rockets have reall

y gotten expensive and sophisicated.

When I was about maybe 12 years old one of my father's friends gave me a complete, fully built Saturn 5 that he built, but never flew.  Having no open fields nearby I got impatient and launched it on my street hoping I could track it through the neighborhood and retrieve it.  Instead it exploded on the launch pad due to a defective "D' engine.  I wrote a letter to Estes.  The customer service rep must have been a retired school teacher because she corrected my grammar in the letter and mailed me a new Saturn 5 kit.  It took me about a year to build it.  This time I figured I would do the right thing and launch it in a park, so I brought it with me to my father's annual FD picnic at Christopher Morley Park in Nassau County.

One minor issue - I couldn't get the required D13-3 engine so I substituted it for the D13-5 engine, which added 2 seconds of delay to the chute deployment.  Didn't seem like a big deal.

Well, a 2 second extra delay destroyed a year of detailed work.  The chute deployed the moment the rocket hit the ground at full speed.

And the funniest thing was that my wife was their too because her father was in the same FD as my father, but we didn't know each other then.  But she does remember the dopey kid that wrecked his rocket at that particular picnic.

Edited by firemanvin, April 12 2017 - 11:00 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anyone, fly, estes, model, rockets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users