Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Anyone Fly Estes Model Rockets?

anyone fly estes model rockets

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11,586 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:55 PM

(Mods...sorry if in wrong section, I wasn't sure where to post this)

Does anyone fly Estes model rockets? One of my sons received a kit recently as a gift.

I'm not sure where you can legally fly them here on Long Island. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 InPeaceandWar

InPeaceandWar

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWestern Suffolk

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:09 PM

I've been launching sporadically since I was a kid. Just showed my kids how it goes last year - even built my own launch controller! Depending on size, and I don't launch anything big, I just go to a local schoolyard and let it go. I'm usually pretty discreet, but most people love 'em. Sometimes you don't get them back if there's a bit too much wind, but that just gives you a reason to build another! There used to be a club on the island - LIARS for Long Island Amateur Rocketry Association - not sure if they are still around.
Rockets are cool!
Lots of good memories of stuff I built back in the day. We even built a replica of Evel Knievel's Snake River rocket cycle. No kit, just a mash up of some model plane and rocket parts I had around. Logical activity for a kid into rockets and planes who had a dad into motorcycles!
Good luck, get it built and have fun!
Hmmm - sorry I didn't answer your question about legality, but I'm not a lawyer, just a lowly engineer who likes to have fun once in a while. Guess you would have to research all the State, county, town and village ordinances. The FAA has something to say, too - but they're not too bad compared to the above listed offenders - I mean authorities responsible for public safety.
  • highdice and Habsfan like this

#3 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,760 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:11 PM

The park or the school. The Estes stuff will be no problem. It's when your deal with heavy rockets or high powered engines you will have to notify the FAA. I am pretty nervous that the government is going to get bored and regulate model rockets. There are already bills proposed to ban remote control vehicles which are capable of first person view. I also think there might me a thread about this in the hobby section.

#4 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:15 PM

I used to launch them on the sod farm with a 9v battery, a coat hanger and quick reflexes. There is probably legislation against that now... not that it matters since there aren't any more sod farms left. Thinking about it, I could have put out an eye or worse... That's probably why we did away with NASA.

#5 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 3,189 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sure about 45 years ago all the time LOL
  • Peconic Paladin and Steyr AUG man like this

#6 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:23 PM

Always did them at high schools, as they are usually larger. But most schools have signs posted saying "no ball playing, etc" with some actually mentioning flying model planes or rockets.

#7 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's in right area OP.

...andi useto

#8 Edward_Blake

Edward_Blake

The Artist formally known as AR_Guy

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,901 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:06 PM

I used to. We bought some for my great nephew a few years back. Beach parking lots in the off season work well.

#9 Nikstorm

Nikstorm

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,357 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:15 PM

I used to fly mine at the local middle school without a problem. Just take not that any posted sign does not say rockets.
I think that the beach parking lot idea is really good also, cause if the wind catches them they will go.

If someone stops you just be super cool about it. I doubt the local authorities would do anything more than tell you to stop. Especially with your kid.
Have fun.

#10 Formula

Formula

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,525 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:28 PM

I used to set them off in hecksher park.
No on ever told me no to

#11 Starman

Starman

APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER

• Established Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:47 PM

I did as well. Lost one on top of my son's middle school. Great hobby!

#12 DOCTORPC

DOCTORPC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 1,594 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:48 PM

used to many years ago now i hear they are considered assault wepons

#13 Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan

Unappreciated while still alive

• Established Member
  • 3,841 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 08:57 PM

My little girl came back from her camp late night with a handmade rocket that went up about 8 feet and then corkscrewed into the ground. She is interested in launching something that actually goes straight up in the air. It looks like I will be making this happen soon. Walmart looks like it carries everything we need. I am thinking the intermediate school will be perfect for launching.

#14 bdevaux

bdevaux

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 765 posts
  • LocationCenter Moriches

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:05 PM

I just got back into it myself with my kids. Launched them at the local high school.

#15 li02liberty

li02liberty

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:06 PM

I lost many a rocket on top of the middle school by my house. Got to watch out for the wind!

#16 Dchilde

Dchilde

Runs With Scissors

• Established Member
  • 3,395 posts
  • LocationNorth Fork

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:10 PM

Michaels crafts carries a bunch of estes stuff.

#17 DocVoxel

DocVoxel

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 96 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:15 PM

School fields are generally ok outside of school hours.

#18 peteinsuffolk

peteinsuffolk

• Administrators
  • 7,342 posts

Posted August 14 2014 - 09:41 PM

i used to love doing this when i was a kid.. i had one called a "mean machine" that was 6' tall and used "D" sized engines.. fun times!

#19 Blade21

Blade21

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:03 PM

I used to love building these rockets but now they come fully assembled. SMH...that was the fun of it
  • Starman likes this

#20 raceradam

raceradam

Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 5,932 posts

Posted August 15 2014 - 05:29 PM

Who else here used to tape the engines to model cars and planes and light them off? Good time, gooooood times!
  • BigH, bdevaux, dougfxdl and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anyone, fly, estes, model, rockets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users