Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Homeland Security: use scissors against mass murders

homeland security use scissors against mass murders

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Tonto

Tonto

Play Poker? No, I don't bluff.

• Club LIF Member
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationI'm over here now

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:48 AM

Mods:  Sorry, not sure what section this should be in

While DHS orders 7,000  select fire weapons for "personal security"...they want us to use scissors against a mass murderer.

http://www.nypost.co...upuVezePd6trYoM

Homeland Security has advice for confronting mass murders: scissors

WASHINGTON — Is your workplace getting shot up by a crazed gunman?

No problem — just grab a pair of scissors and fight back!

That’s some of the helpful advice in a new instructional video from the Department of Homeland Security that was posted on the agency’s Web site just a month after the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

“If you are caught out in the open and cannot conceal yourself or take cover, you might consider trying to overpower the shooter with whatever means are available,” says the narrator in the video, which shows an office worker pulling scissors out of a desk drawer.

Posted Image

DUCK AND CUTTER: A Homeland Security video shows these scenes as helpful advice to workers on what to do if a mass killer strikes their office — grab any weapon at hand, and hide under a desk.

Posted Image

The video, titled “Options for Consideration,” also advises that people who get caught in an “active shooter” situation should run away, hide under a desk or take cover out of the line of fire.

The nearly four-minute-long video opens with chilling scenes from the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre, the 2009 mass shooting at Fort Hood in Texas, and the 2011 attempted assassination of Gabrielle Giffords.

But the video quickly shifts to hokey footage of office workers scampering under desks, crouching in corners and racing into closets to hide from a rampaging gunman on the loose.

“To protect your hiding place, lock the door if you can. Block the door with heavy furniture,” recommends the male narrator, speaking in measured, authoritative tones.
Other survival strategies promoted in the video include hiding “behind large items such as cabinets or desks. Remain quiet. Silence your cellphone or pager. Even the vibration setting can give away a hiding position.”

Richard Feldman, president of the Independent Firearm Owners Association, said he has a better option for consideration than a pair of scissors when confronting an armed mass murderer — a legal firearm.

“That’s why I prefer a gun, and I usually do carry a gun when it is lawful to do so,” said Feldman. “Clearly, you use whatever you can” to fight for your life, he said.
So if scissors are all you’ve got, grab them by all means.

The video is part of the Obama administration’s ongoing campaign to reduce firearm violence in the wake of the horrific mass murder last month of 20 children and six teachers in Newtown, Conn., said a Homeland Security official.

Homeland Security has operated an active-shooter preparedness-training program for years, and the “Options for Consideration” video was in production prior to the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown.

The video was released to coincide with President Obama’s sweeping proposals to curb gun violence in America, said the official.
Obama’s most controversial proposals include a ban on military-style assault rifles and high-capacity ammo clips, as well as expanded background checks for firearm purchases.

Security consultant Andrew Scott called the information in the video “adequate.”

He conceded that Homeland Security was correct in recommending that people use scissors to attack a gunman but only in a “last, worst-case scenario.”

“Just the suggestion [to fight back] is a positive move,” said Scott, a former SWAT commander in North Miami Beach. “You don’t want to be sheep for the slaughter.”

But if you do arm yourself with shears, the narrator warns you to drop them when cops arrive.

“Put down any items. Immediately raise your hands,” is the closing advice.
Member: O.W.C.A.   Perry The Platypus Fan Club   Sponsored by: Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

#2 Walker1847

Walker1847

Walker1847

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,454 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, NY

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:52 AM

SMH
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
---Thomas Jefferson

"Gun Control is a job-safety program for criminals"
--- John Lott

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves”.
--- William Pitt, 1783

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
--- R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Force Veteran
Club LIF
NRA Member

#3 Paté

Paté

The Original Assault Carrot

• Administrators
  • 26,550 posts
  • LocationI'm over here now!

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:53 AM

My plan is to use my assault stapler to thwart an attack.....

Pat

Posted Image

#4 Tonto

Tonto

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 8,670 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 10:57 AM

Here's the video:
(Note: I posted it in the thread, but it didn't show)

Member: O.W.C.A.   Perry The Platypus Fan Club   Sponsored by: Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

#5 FULL METAL JACKET

FULL METAL JACKET

Anti Liberal

• Club LIF Member
  • 17,606 posts
  • LocationWithin the III%

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:06 AM

Crazy

#6 lynyrd

lynyrd

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,802 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:12 AM

Great! Now scissors 'll be outlawed in NYC.....
When lawmakers use words like "reasonable", "common sense", and "sensible" that means it's too complicated to explain and even they don't understand it....

#7 lichris

lichris

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStuck in a liberal hell hole.

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:12 AM

I was in the office this morning. I loaded my stapler with 7 hollow point staples, put a rubber band on my wrist, and made sure my scissors were sharp. Additionally (call me paranoid) I pulled out my ruler and placed it next to my keyboard. Unfortunately, I work for an anti-scissors company, so we aren't allowed to carry concealed while on the clock.
Ammunition has been my best investment over the last 3 quarters.

#8 Gort

Gort

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,091 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:16 AM

A prior video also suggested to hide behind large objects.

Key word is large.

I wonder how many people were planning on hiding behind small objects.
Against stupidity even gods struggle in vain

#9 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:21 AM

Excellent Video we pay for that?? I have taken notes to carry around with me just incase I forget what they suggest. I feel much safer now.
Make Sure You Vote.. The only way for Change !

#10 rojo66

rojo66

Condition Zero

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,473 posts
  • Location40*93'07" N, 73*40'15" W

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:22 AM

This is embarrassing.  I would expect this kind of non-sense from the HR department of a company, not a Federal Law Enforcement Agency. With all due respect to the DHS, instead of grabbing the scissors and hiding under my non bullet retardant desk, I think I'd prefer to have my Wilson Combat 1911 clear leather and put a stop to the madness before the active shooter kills dozens and commits suicide.

And for all my friends in HR that will point out that having a firearm is a violation of company policy, grow a pair! Your policy is not only unconstitutional, it endangers the H part of your department!
-- Christopher

Colt 1911 Officer's .45 ACP
S&W M&P 9 mm
Sig Sauer P220R Carry
Sig Sauer P229R Elite Dark .40 S&W
S&W 686 Plus .357 Magnum
Glock 30
Glock 27 Gen 4
Wilson Combat 1911 Protector 5" .45 ACP
Ed Brown Special Forces 5" 1911, .45 ACP
Remington 870 12 ga
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 30.06
Sako TRG 42, 300 Win Mag
Ruger Red Label O/U 12 ga.
Mitchell Pump 12 ga.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

#11 sickofny

sickofny

P-51 Cadillac Of The Sky

• 832 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:28 AM

Well they say the pen is mighter than the sword so does that make scissors mighter than a firearm?
" The power under the Constitution will always be in the people. Whenever it is executed contrary to their interest, or not agreeable to their wishes, their servants can, and undoubtedly will, be recalled."   -George Washington

#12 Tonto

Tonto

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 8,670 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm going out to stock up on scissors before NYS puts a ban on them.

#13 Kevin529

Kevin529

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others: Member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostTonto, on January 31 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

I'm going out to stock up on scissors before NYS puts a ban on them.

Same, just ordered some.
Once they arrive I will hide a pair everywhere, couldn't be safer.
Everything posted above is a hypothetical work of fiction

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan.

"The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind" - Thomas Jefferson.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson.

#14 staghorn

staghorn

Gun Guru

• 762 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 31 2013 - 11:37 AM

ok first person killed with scissors will cause the assault scissors act banning all scissors over 3 inches long

Could This Be The Government The Founders Had In Mind

When They Wrote The Second Amendment?.

guns have only two natural enemies rust and politicians

#15 AkunaMatata

AkunaMatata

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,442 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:37 PM

Grab scissors and hide under a desk? No, no, no... Grab the scissors, and wait patiently next to the doorframe. Then, when they enter and you are at point blank range, your scissors are actually pretty useful. Hiding under a desk is just choosing where to die.
"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul is an evil sword."

-Shimada Toranosuke, 'The Sword of Doom'

GO TEAM KALASHNIKOV!!!

[face=Times]Team SKS. Just like Team AK, but with more class. [/face]

#16 heywood66

heywood66

AH SHADAP, VARMINT!!!

• 1,039 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Poststaghorn, on January 31 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

ok first person killed with scissors will cause the assault scissors act banning all scissors over 3 inches long

And with pointy ends....

#17 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 6,769 posts
  • LocationValhalla Rising

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image
Cause it's Thursday and it's past noon. Thursday is one of my days off.
On my off days I start drinking around noon. You don't get to interrupt that.

#18 grifhunter

grifhunter

In Recovery

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 4,030 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion at Exit 43.

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostDestro, on January 31 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

Mall ninga shears.  Freakin black out.  Cmon.
Have questions about which gun, feature or magazine is banned?  Ask your Senator/Assemblyman. They voted for it. Ask them whats covered and whats not and respectfully decline referrals to staff, State Police or any websites. Ask them in public and video tape it, especially if they refuse to answer rudimentary questions.
Shame the cowards. Haunt them.

#19 grifhunter

grifhunter

In Recovery

• Club LIF Member
  • Others:
  • 4,030 posts
  • LocationTraffic congestion at Exit 43.

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:52 PM

If having a gun means that some day at work I'm going to inevitably go off on a shooting rampage over a missing bag lunch, wouldn't I also with scissors be equally inclined to "go off" with my scissors?  Weapon make you violent, after all.
Have questions about which gun, feature or magazine is banned?  Ask your Senator/Assemblyman. They voted for it. Ask them whats covered and whats not and respectfully decline referrals to staff, State Police or any websites. Ask them in public and video tape it, especially if they refuse to answer rudimentary questions.
Shame the cowards. Haunt them.

#20 mattyj513

mattyj513

Right Wing Conservative Extremist

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFloral Park

Posted January 31 2013 - 04:58 PM

I just melted down my lead scissors, figured 230 grain pieces should do it. Now my scissors are useful.
"Right now this is a government of law, not men.
We will make it a government of men, not law.
Because we're men." - Stogie Lonesome

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homeland, security, use, scissors, against, mass, murders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users