Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

NYS SAFE Act - high capacity pistol magazine question

nys safe act magazine hi-cap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jager1147

jager1147

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMiller Place, NY

Posted January 29 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hi All,

I've read all the threads I could find, but can't find a concrete answer to this question for handguns:
Today, can I load only ten rounds in a pre-ban high capacity pistol magazine?

I understand the 7 round limitation starts 4/15/13 for ten round magzines, with a 10 round allowance if you are at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association. I know I have until 4/15/14 to dispose of any high capacity magazines.

If the answer is "No, effective 1/16/13 high capacity magazines may not be loaded at all", then many handgun owners (even with business carry) cannot load their fireams due to lack of magazine availabilty, if they currently own only pre-ban magazines.

So, everyone in the state who did not own a 10 round magazine now, and cannot obtain any before 4/15/13, now owns a paperweight, not a firearm. Is this correct?

Thanks, and apologies if I missed this in the threads.

jager

#2 BIGROB

BIGROB

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2,027 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 12:29 PM

you sir are correct.
SUNY Maritime College, 1/C.

#3 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Forum Sponsor
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 2,912 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted January 29 2013 - 12:32 PM

Yup do you feel like you have been raped?

NRA Life Member
NYSRPA
Peconic River Sportsmans
And Secular Member Of The Tribe

#4 pj4863

pj4863

Respected Gunowner

• 279 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 01:50 PM

Do we have a quotation of the law where that is?

#5 jager1147

jager1147

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yes, and it hurts to walk.  I don't understand why this aspect hasn't been more publicized.  Heard a challenge was to be filed today, but hasn't happened yet. Hopeful.....

#6 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 10,299 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 29 2013 - 01:55 PM

View Postjager1147, on January 29 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yes, and it hurts to walk.  I don't understand why this aspect hasn't been more publicized.  Heard a challenge was to be filed today, but hasn't happened yet. Hopeful.....
Have you been contacting your reps about repealing this law?
There are some threads that will help you find their contact info.
Have you written to whatever political party you are affiliated with?
Would you like help with that if not?
Are you free to attend the next bus trip to Albany?
"We make men without chests...and expect of them virtue and enterprise.
We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."  - C. S. Lewis

"McFly is a Glockwhoring thread wrecker". -Pate

#7 Walker1847

Walker1847

Walker1847

• Club LIF Member
  • 8,297 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, NY

Posted January 29 2013 - 01:58 PM

http://www.governor....gun-reforms-faq

Q: What if I have a magazine that can contain more than ten rounds?

A: You can permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser by January 15, 2014.

Q: How many rounds can I put in my magazine today?

A: Ten. Starting on April 15, 2013, you are limited to putting in seven rounds, unless you are at an incorporated firing range or competition recognized by the National Rifle Association or International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association, in which case the limit is ten.

Q: Going forward, what magazines can I buy?

A: As of April 15, 2013, only magazines that can contain 7 rounds or less will be sold in New York, including permanently modified magazines.

Edited by Walker1847, January 29 2013 - 01:59 PM.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
---Thomas Jefferson

"Gun Control is a job-safety program for criminals"
--- John Lott

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves”.
--- William Pitt, 1783

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
--- R.J.Wiedemann.LtCol.USMC Ret
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Force Veteran
Club LIF
NRA Member

#8 jager1147

jager1147

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes I've written. And they'll hear from me again in November when I vote.
From what I could read in the bill and FAQ's, I cannot see concrete evidence about my question so I'm still not sure....... Thanks all for the quick replies - great forum.

#9 DOCTORPC

DOCTORPC

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,158 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 02:08 PM

what exactly is an incorporated firing range?
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users