Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Smith and Wesson Model 10 date of manufacture.

smith and wesson model 10 date of manufacture

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• 1,569 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have my Father's old duty revolver, S&W Model 10, the serial # starts with 623***, no letter prefix. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture? Thanks.
"Laws are like locks, they are made to keep honest people honest"  My Dad, a Cop who walked the beat, 40th precinct, South Bronx.

#2 Strat688

Strat688

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationEast Setauket

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:45 PM

Open the cylinder and look on the frame first, for a model designation.  It could say 10-5, 10-6, 10-7, etc.
Then, at the very least you'll know the exact model number.
After that I can't help you, however, there are many other websites where the year of manufacture can be determined, based on the serial number.
In fact one of our members is a S&W guru..........I'm sure he'll chime in.
HAIG
MEMBER:  LIF TEAM KALASHNIKOV
MEMBER:  Mosin 100 GB Club
"The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

#3 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,569 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:21 PM

8373. Nothing else
"Laws are like locks, they are made to keep honest people honest"  My Dad, a Cop who walked the beat, 40th precinct, South Bronx.

#4 cjb1

cjb1

Respected Gunowner

• 119 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:52 PM

When did your dad get on the job? NYPD?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
- Benjamin Franklin, 1775

#5 CWNY

CWNY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationNY unfortunately...

Posted November 14 2012 - 08:55 PM

If its made prior to 1957 S&W's had no model numbers and they had names instead... Example the 10 was called the "Military & Police"

Chris

#6 Hunter

Hunter

Me

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 711 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:07 PM

It's not a model 10 with that serial number. M&P and model 10's have a S or a C prefix. Do you have a picture? What does it say on the side of the barrel? Does it say 38 CTG? It could be a .38 regulation police or an old Hand ejector. with that serial number.

#7 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,569 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:24 PM

CTG is on the barrel. I will post pictures of it tomorrow morning.

#8 CWNY

CWNY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,294 posts

Posted November 14 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hunter,

I think ceesman762 was refering 8373 to the numbers found in the crane/yoke area. Ceeaman762 stated the the serial number was 623...

What do you think?

Chris

#9 The Big Ox

The Big Ox

Warm, Caring Nurturer

• LIF Site Moderator
  • 5,996 posts
  • LocationRonkonkoma

Posted November 14 2012 - 10:00 PM

The only .38 spl Smith and Wessons in that serial number range were produced in 1903 and 1904 as the Smith and Wesson .38spl Hand Ejector M&P. They look like Model 10's, and are very similar, but predate the Model 10 by over 50 years. If you post a pic of the gun, I should be able to tell what it is. We need more info to give you a solid answer.

#10 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,569 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:30 AM

OK, Here are the pictures. The pistol was hard chromed back in '83/'84 before my Dad retired from the job. The story of how he came to own the pistol was that he purchased it from another patrolman who was retiring.  This happened in 1965, my Dad's first year on the job. Dad told me that the cop he bought it from had bought it from another cop who was retiring during his rookie year. I know it has some age to it and definitely has seen a great deal of action. My Dad was a survivor of the '60s riots, black outs and Black Panther ambushes at the 40th in the South Bronx.  He retired back in 1985.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 rojo66

rojo66

Condition Zero

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,028 posts
  • Location40*93'07" N, 73*40'15" W

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:52 AM

I think you have to cut it in half and count the rings...no wait, that may be for trees.

Would a call to the good folks at S&W help?

Based on how you describe the guns history and service it's too bad it can't speak.  I would love to hear some of the stories it certainly has to tell!

There is something sexy about a wheel gun!
-- Christopher

Colt 1911 Officer's .45 ACP
S&W M&P 9 mm
Sig Sauer P220R Carry
Sig Sauer P229R Elite Dark .40 S&W
S&W 686 Plus .357 Magnum
Glock 30
Glock 27 Gen 4
Wilson Combat 1911 Protector 5" .45 ACP
Ed Brown Special Forces 5" 1911, .45 ACP
Remington 870 12 ga
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 30.06
Sako TRG 42, 300 Win Mag
Ruger Red Label O/U 12 ga.
Mitchell Pump 12 ga.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

#12 mrprovy

mrprovy

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 894 posts
  • LocationSelden

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:08 AM

With a history like that, it may not be a bad idea to invest in a Letter of Authenticity from S&W for $50

#13 madmax

madmax

Gun Guru

• 2,246 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:51 AM

If your dad can do it, the letter may be free.I have heard S&w does the right thing for LEO's.

#14 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,569 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 08:59 AM

madmax, on November 15 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

If your dad can do it, the letter may be free.I have heard S&w does the right thing for LEO's.
He passed away in 2005.

#15 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,519 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:20 AM

...So your dad bought itas a recruit from a retiring officer, who bought it as a recruit from a retiring officer...  Your dad was on the job at least 20 to retire yes?... and the previous at least 20... and the previous...   The thing could be from 1925 (if the first retiring cop bought it when he went on the job)-1945 (if he got it just before retiring) guesstimating from the first known purchaser...

It's a 5-screw gun, (Dec. Combat Handguns actually has a short explanation of this)  which puts it as "old" for sure.

I'm wondering what the hard chrome does to the value - but I'm guessing you're not even considering selling it so that's not important.  Upside is the thing will last forever.

You should definitely get the S&W letter!!!
Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

#16 sherm66

sherm66

Tastes Like Chicken

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,728 posts
  • LocationHome On The Range

Posted November 15 2012 - 09:25 AM

Call S&W. Remington has a serial # look up person in customer service. Any gun with a serial number and they'll tell you when it was made and how it left the factory. I'll bet S&W have the same.
When they kick out your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?
-----------------------------------------

#17 CWNY

CWNY

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,294 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 05:10 PM

Looks like a M&P 1905 "4th Change".... serial numbers range from 241,704 - 1,000,000 ( mfg. from 1915-1942 )

Letter prefix started in 1947...

Can you tell us what are the markings on the backstrap ? ( looks like there is somethin there ? )

Chris

#18 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,569 posts

Posted November 15 2012 - 07:42 PM

The numbers on the back are NYPD armory numbers. My Dad had told me that cops could buy the pistols from the NYPD buy having a few dollars taken out of their paycheck every month.

On the length of the barrel is this "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA Patented Feb 6.06,Sept 14.09 Dec 29.14"

#19 Olderbutwiser

Olderbutwiser

Advanced Member

• Club LIF Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted November 16 2012 - 12:53 AM

There is a web site called THE HIGHROAD.ORG On it, there is a listing under HANDGUNS:REVOLVERS
The first catogory  is called IDENTITY OF S&W REVOLVERS

The info you're looking for will probably be available there, by giving the required info ..
Just sign up with a user name & password and you're set to go.
Sorry to hear about your Dads passing.  Is that revolver the actual gun he used as his service revolver? I ask because as a 'Proby' cop during that period of time, they were given the choice of a .38 Colt or a .38 S&W 4" Hvy Duty Model 10-6 to buy. I don't think they permitted you to use any gun other than the one that was issued by the NYPD at the time they were appointed..Those were hectic years and he would of had to have had the gun 'inspected' by the firearms section before he was allowed to carry it. It would have taken time to get that done and the city was in a rush to get them on the  streets for riot duty.
    I was appointed in 6/1966 and within 3-4 days after being sworn in, we were given a class on procedures and sent to the range to 'qualify' and had to get Blue uniforms right off of the rack and told to put the gray Probationary uniforms away and then put out in the streets of Brooklyn or the Bronx for Riot Control..    Yes, we bought everything that was required to wear from the 'NYPD Equiptment Store', located in 400 Broome St, NYC. except our shoes, black socks and Shield. Even the shield pin cost us. $.10 cents. It was called a Pension Loan and was around $500.

#20 Seancusmc

Seancusmc

Gun Guru

• 531 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted November 16 2012 - 01:12 AM

Nowadays the loan comes from MCU for $3,000 at a tune of something like 12% interest. How times change...

That gun has a great history. Are you going to shoot it? keep it for memories? loan it to the NYPD museum? Sell it? I'd think it has more value to you than to anyone else, but the history of that gun is pretty cool. Especially if you can place it at any major events in your fathers career or the previous cops career.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smith, and, wesson, model, 10, date, of, manufacture

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users