Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Looters on Long Island from Hurricane Sandy

looters on long island from hurricane sandy ny brooklyn bronx

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#201 Armedoc

Armedoc

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 731 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:06 AM

A friend of mine said that 2 nights ago a homeowner was robbed at gunpoint in Garden City. He had no power and was outside when a man with a flashlight and pistol confronted him. The man's daughter came out when she heard the commotion. A shot was fired but no one was struck. They were ordered into the house and were robbed.

This is hearsay but I'm sure it's going on elsewhere. Several of my friends have asked me where to buy a shotgun.
[face=Courier][face=Times]
NRA member[/face]
[/face]

#202 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• 3,201 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 10:43 AM

Been seeing National guard members babysitting Generators being used to power traffic lights here and there.

#203 class3

class3

Gun Guru

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:01 PM

Lots of "stories". I wonder how many are true?

#204 BLAMMO

BLAMMO

Lousy Shot

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 10,662 posts
  • LocationTrapped behind enemy lines

Posted November 10 2012 - 07:16 PM

A colleague who lives in Long Beach but is staying with his parents in Oceanside (not much better) says he has seen Guardsmen with M16s. I asked him if he took a picture and he said he's seen pics in Newsday. I looked but I haven't seen any. It's my understanding Guardsmen are not armed but I don't know how they're supposed to "guard" anything.
- Chris
---------

I don't need a gun.
I have never needed a gun.
I hope I never need a gun.
And, in all likelihood, I will never need a gun.
However, should I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun.
Therefore, I have a gun.

Aside from that, guns are cool. Guns are fun. Have fun and be safe.

#205 smallcigar

smallcigar

Marksman

• 58 posts

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:02 PM

View PostArmedoc, on November 10 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

A friend of mine said that 2 nights ago a homeowner was robbed at gunpoint in Garden City. He had no power and was outside when a man with a flashlight and pistol confronted him. The man's daughter came out when she heard the commotion. A shot was fired but no one was struck. They were ordered into the house and were robbed.

This is hearsay but I'm sure it's going on elsewhere. Several of my friends have asked me where to buy a shotgun.

I believe News 12 mentioned this.

#206 nightday

nightday

LIVE FREE OR DIE

• Club LIF Member

• 3,011 posts
  • LocationSecured Bunker

Posted November 10 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Postclass3, on November 10 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

Lots of "stories". I wonder how many are true?

Plenty are true.  Bunch arrested right down the block from my house last week.  I know of about a dozen situations were people have been arrested by me alone and others that got away.

Rifleman's Creed

"This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  My rifle is my best friend.  It is my life.  I must master my life.  My rifle without me is useless.  Without my rifle, I am useless.  I must fire my rifle true.  I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.  I must shoot him before he shoots me.  I will... "  Major General William H. Rupertus

Freeport R&R Member     USPSA / IDPA
NRA member
FFL03
NY CCW (Restricted)  someday hopefully this shall change
FL  CCW
UT CCW
U.S. Merchant Marine Captain (Retired)

IMG_1035.JPG RIP Boulder  We miss you sooo much! 7/29/2006-4/08/2013

image.jpg Welcome Home Geyser 3/09/2013

http://www.LONGISLANDBIDS.COM

#207 TG-wantagh

TG-wantagh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:47 AM

My Store in Wantagh was looted. Twisted Glass. I am a high-end artisian tobacco pipe and tobacco retailer. The thieft was involving about 30K in product. Mostly smoking pipes between the $500-$2.5k range and medicinal vaporizors in the $800 range.. Plus my shop window with $3k of airbrushing painting on it was bricked out.
My back up security only had 12hr bats, thats gonna change now.
Ploice reports filed night of inciedent, prints were dusted and found in store.

The people who did this were arrested 3 hours ago. (its been a long day)
They are 4 white males aged between 15 and 18.
They all lived within walking distance of my shop two of the perps lived in houses visible from the avenue my store is on!
2 of them caught attempting to sell a $900 pipe(which was photodocumented in the store when i recieved it from artist) for $50 on the street two blocks from the store.
Mean while another two were also caught holding about $3k(also photoducotmented) of merch a few nights ago.

State police, national guard, local dects. were involved it was crazy they all came. they really handled it well...they were not happy with these kids.

A drug store in north massapequa was looted
a auto store in wantagh was looted as well.
A few houses were looted in wantagh - massapequa shores durning  the noreaster a few days ago when power went back out for a few hours.

#208 Spunka925

Spunka925

Gun Guru

• 538 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:37 AM

Justice!
An enemy of the Constitution is an enemy of mine!

#209 muskoday

muskoday

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2,555 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:58 AM

Sorry to hear, and welcome to the forum.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.    

#210 Engineco54

Engineco54

Gun Guru

• 1,209 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have been unable to log in for a couple of days but Verizon came over today and got me back up and running.
I live in Garden City, next street over from the home invasion. Here's what happened:
About 7:30 (PM), Thursday night, the man was out walking his dog. He came back and the perp was in the house.
The wife and daughter were upstairs and the homeowner was told to call them down, which he did. The perp took everyone's cell phones, ipad's etc. He demanded money also, and the homeowner said he didn't have any at home as he had just filled up the family cars which took almost all his cash on hand. The perp took the keys to the Mercedes, which he later used as his get-away vehicle (later found abandoned in Hempstead).
The perp took all three of them down to the boiler room and blocked them in there by way of moving some furniture to block the door.
After about 45 mins, the homeowner tried to push his way out through the blocked door.
The perp was still in the house and said something along the lines of "I'm still here so don't be crazy and try anything so no one gets hurt. (At one point, 2 shots were fired (into the ceiling) but I'm not clear when this happened).
The family was able to leave the boiler room and called police (who have been visible at intersections, etc but notably absent from 'patrols' the past 2 weeks and are catching hell for it).
Once the police came over and took the story, they canvassed the neighborhood and discovered 4 additional homes (unoccupied) that had been burgled.
The Police have ID'd the perp - here is the link:
http://gardencity.pa...d-and-dangerous

NRA/SAF Life

#211 warmnfuzzyar

warmnfuzzyar

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,585 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 02:45 PM

................. the perp better be certified to handle lead if he shows up in my house .
...........  " what does not kill me makes me sleepy "

#212 LIRES1987

LIRES1987

Gun Guru

• 1,122 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 03:06 PM

I got the report of "50 bodies on Staten Island" from a friend who is an NYPD officer who "heard" it from another officer.

I personally have no doubt that the death toll will rise beyond the current 45 confirmed on LI and NYC but I think 50 dead on Staten Island alone is a bit high.
Chris

#213 Jvisconti

Jvisconti

Sharp Shooter!

• 412 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostEngineco54, on November 11 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I have been unable to log in for a couple of days but Verizon came over today and got me back up and running.
I live in Garden City, next street over from the home invasion. Here's what happened:
About 7:30 (PM), Thursday night, the man was out walking his dog. He came back and the perp was in the house.
The wife and daughter were upstairs and the homeowner was told to call them down, which he did. The perp took everyone's cell phones, ipad's etc. He demanded money also, and the homeowner said he didn't have any at home as he had just filled up the family cars which took almost all his cash on hand. The perp took the keys to the Mercedes, which he later used as his get-away vehicle (later found abandoned in Hempstead).
The perp took all three of them down to the boiler room and blocked them in there by way of moving some furniture to block the door.
After about 45 mins, the homeowner tried to push his way out through the blocked door.
The perp was still in the house and said something along the lines of "I'm still here so don't be crazy and try anything so no one gets hurt. (At one point, 2 shots were fired (into the ceiling) but I'm not clear when this happened).
The family was able to leave the boiler room and called police (who have been visible at intersections, etc but notably absent from 'patrols' the past 2 weeks and are catching hell for it).
Once the police came over and took the story, they canvassed the neighborhood and discovered 4 additional homes (unoccupied) that had been burgled.
The Police have ID'd the perp - here is the link:
http://gardencity.pa...d-and-dangerous

What street did this happen on? I have family in Garden City who left for Florida for the winter a week before sandy hit. I checked on the outside of the house and everything was fine but didn't go inside. I hope nobody else did either...

#214 deathsythe

deathsythe

SAF Life Member, NRA Member

• Club LIF Member
  • 4,613 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:56 PM

Right in my backyard - scary.

Shame he didn't encounter one of us "on our way back from the range", but at least no one was hurt.

Edited by deathsythe, November 11 2012 - 05:56 PM.

-R.J.

Official NYS Motto said:

Some Animals are More Equal than Others.
Gun Control isn't about guns, it is about control.

#215 heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly

Avoiding the ban hammer!

• Club LIF Member

• 12,032 posts
  • Locationhuntington, ny

Posted November 11 2012 - 05:58 PM

View Postdeathsythe, on November 11 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Right in my backyard - scary.

Shame he didn't encounter one of us "on our way back from the range", but at least no one was hurt.

Should've seen my jeep yesterday. Car pooled with 2 others. Had an armory. Even had to strap Jake to the roof
Mike

2 Time LIF Rifle Champion, on the hunt for the 3rd.
Paté - "NP. Like most things involving you and LIF, you were banned from chat. Classic..."

#216 Captain Will

Captain Will

Gun Guru

• 14,959 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:41 PM

View PostTG-wantagh, on November 11 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

My Store in Wantagh was looted. Twisted Glass. I am a high-end artisian tobacco pipe and tobacco retailer.

http://www.twistedglassshop.com/

Why don't you just say "Head Shop"?
I reckon the cigar store was not robbed, is it any wonder you are an "attractive target" for these dolts?

I smoked tobacco for 20 years and never once smoked it out of a bong or a "medicinal vaporizer" guess I really missed out.

Not right that your place got robbed, but not real surprising to me either- kinda like if you had a car stereo store with 22" blingy-spin-rims in the window., But, I am glad they caught them. Even if you have hands-down THE most annoting music I have ever heard on a webpage.

]
“I think you have a perfect right to buy weapons and keep them for protection or for sport....You can read it to say they only talked about militias pr you can read it to say they wanted guns in your pocket. I don’t know, that’s up to you.”  -  Mayor Michael Bloomberg

#217 smallcigar

smallcigar

Marksman

• 58 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostJvisconti, on November 11 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

What street did this happen on? I have family in Garden City who left for Florida for the winter a week before sandy hit. I checked on the outside of the house and everything was fine but didn't go inside. I hope nobody else did either...

I believe they said 2nd and Cathedral on the news.

#218 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• 7,328 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostLIRES1987, on November 11 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I got the report of "50 bodies on Staten Island" from a friend who is an NYPD officer who "heard" it from another officer.

I personally have no doubt that the death toll will rise beyond the current 45 confirmed on LI and NYC but I think 50 dead on Staten Island alone is a bit high.

The number I saw on the new for S.I. was 40... so that may be accurate...

View PostCaptain Will, on November 11 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

http://www.twistedglassshop.com/

Why don't you just say "Head Shop"?
I reckon the cigar store was not robbed, is it any wonder you are an "attractive target" for these dolts?

I smoked tobacco for 20 years and never once smoked it out of a bong or a "medicinal vaporizer" guess I really missed out.

Not right that your place got robbed, but not real surprising to me either- kinda like if you had a car stereo store with 22" blingy-spin-rims in the window., But, I am glad they caught them. Even if you have hands-down THE most annoting music I have ever heard on a webpage.

Ditto on that music - I was scrambling to find the "Stop" button most pages have for the music...

Capt. Will.....  He didn't say "Head Shop" because even though everyone else in the world calls it that, if HE says it it becomes illegal  (recollection from a friend who ran a shop way back)....  Call the "medicinal vaporizer" a 'Bong' and it's illegal to sell it...  silly, isn't it?   (never heard the term 'medicinal vaporizer' before)

Edited by Parashooter, November 11 2012 - 07:12 PM.

Pete

"It ain't the guns stupid - It's the CRIMINALS!"

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing...it just wastes your time - and annoys the pig." - Robert Anson Heinlein

Prayer for obama - Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

Mom, 20 Sept. 1944 - 22 Sept 2010 RIP

#219 Knight Rider

Knight Rider

Glock Gun Owner

• Club LIF Member

• 7,086 posts
  • LocationNew Yorkistan

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:05 PM

View Postwarmnfuzzyar, on November 11 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

................. the perp better be certified to handle lead if he shows up in my house .

+1

#220 coyote

coyote

Gun Guru

• 916 posts
  • Locationnassau

Posted November 11 2012 - 09:20 PM

if any of you shoot a looter and need help disposing of the body...give me a pm... it will be like calling mr.wolf from pulp fiction ...
She has abstained from interference in the concerns of others, even when conflict has been for principles to which she clings, as to the last vital drop that visits the heart.... She goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own.... She well knows that by once enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence ... the fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force.... She might become the dictatress of the world. - John Quincy Adams

μολὼν λabέ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: looters, on, long, island, from, hurricane, sandy, ny, brooklyn, bronx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users