Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Delton Quality?

5K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  heartlessmcfly 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Delton is a "value" brand. But a good value brand.

Def. above Doublestar, but alongside some of the bargain DPMS stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I love DPMS barrels, and some of their out of their box uppers are nice (I own a couple) but it is considered more of a "value brand". Same goes for Delton. Some of their packages are better than others. For a "value" brand Delton is actually pretty good, as far as fit and finish. I would have no problem buying it, just understand you're not getting a Noveske.

Check with Delton's site themselves, though the turnaround can be slow. Midway sells out of a lot of good priced uppers and kits, like this one.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
For a "range build" meaning something that will never be used off the range, I can deal with B-grade rifle.

Esp when all together it will be like $700

but when you say "budget quality" Do you mean finish and cosmetics or mfg. tolerances?

Finish means nothing to me, its getting covered in krylon as does everything else I own, but I have no use for a unreliable rifle.

#7 ·
I would say it's perfectly fine for what you need. What I guess I'm saying is that it is a brand on the lower end of price points, while something like a Noveske is on the other end. Most lowers are in general are all in spec and Delton's finish and fit is quite good. I would have no qualms buying it, it actually has a pretty good rep at it's price point, but you get some AR snobs looking down at anything with a lower price tag. I buy what works, not for the brand name.

#6 ·
I have 4 ar's and two of them have delton uppers on them. They are just as reliable and nice as my FN and dpms ar's. Thumbs up for delton. They will pin and weld your comp/brake on before they ship out to you if you request it. Comes out looking great.

#8 ·
Not bad as far as value brands. Better than M&A or Model 1 Sales but in the same ball park. They have handled some quality control issues poorly or not at all. I guess they would be fine. But if it doesn't work out well, don't run around saying AR's suck. Only yours does.

A few years ago I would have said DelTon was a decent value. But the way the market is right now, I wouldn't even look at them. But that's just me.

This is one of the DelTon bolts sold a couple of years ago, they refused to issue a recall on or warning to customers.

#11 ·
So far my experience with PSA has been great parts for the price. I would have to say that you are better off with the PSA upper if you plan to shoot a lot.

I prefer PSA LPK's over the DelTon offering also. Stock kit is up to you. But it can easily be changed later. A barrel or Bolt Carrier Group, not so affordable or common.

#13 ·
I don't mean to offend Del Ton owners.

Jake, I don't know you real well, but I feel well enough. You plan to shoot the crap out of the rifle and see what it can do. Look else where.

#18 ·
$700 for just an upper?

#20 ·
Reactions: Spunka925
#21 ·
#25 ·
Rock River Arms is great but you WILL wait!!!! Unless you can fine one in stock Minimum 4 months wait
AR15sales.com has the best prices on RRA.. Way lower than direct from RRA but you WILL WAIT!!!!
AR15sales.com also sells Stag at fantastic prices and I just talked to him and it looks like a 2 to 4 week ship time

#28 ·
Looks like Pete at legal transfers has that upper for $699. Listed as "Pre-ban" but you would only need to pin the brake. Just a heads up, stainless barrels don't last as long as 4140/4150 barrels. But the cost of shooting one out will exceed the cost of the barrel many times over.

My only experience with Stag has been their standard M4 barreled rifles and uppers. So can't comment on that specific upper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.