Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Long Island County Parks listing. (RV/CAMPING)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER

Banned (in NY)

• Established Member
  • 678 posts
  • LocationUndisclosed Location

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:11 PM

Blydenburgh County Park
Richly forested hills and valleys at the headwaters of the Nissequogue River, rowing and fishing on lovely Stump Pond, casual strolls through an historic district featuring a grist mill... These are but a few of the attractions of Blydenburgh County Park. This 627 acre park is open year-round to Suffolk County residents and their guests. Horseback riders may ride or trailer their mounts to Blydenburgh to utilize an extensive bridle path system and practice ring.

Trailer parking is available at the northern (New Mill Road) entrance. Suffolk County horseback riding permits are required and must be visibly displayed by all riders. Freshwater fishing for pumpkinseed sunfish, large-mouth bass, perch and bluegill is permitted at Stump Pond between sunrise and sunset. New York State freshwater fishing laws apply. Rowboat rentals are generally available from mid-May to Labor Day.

Use the southern (Veteran's Memorial Hwy) entrance for these activities. Hikes through Blydenburgh are led on a regular basis by the Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference, whose headquarters are located in one of the historic district houses. For a hike schedule, contact the Greenbelt office at (631)-360-0753.

Directions: Enter park from the north side of Veteran's Memorial Highway, opposite the H. Lee Dennison Building

Please use the online system to reserve:
https://parks.suffol...ffolkcamperweb/

Cathedral Pines Park

Facilities include campsites for youth group camping and club camping (10 or more units) and family camping, including 10 sites with water and electric hookups. Picnic sites and an activity hall, the George Broome Memorial Activity Building are also available. The building was dedicated to honor the memory George Broome, founder of the Suffolk Committee for Camping.

Adjacent to Cathedral Pines Park is Prosser Pines Nature Preserve, which features a majestic stand of white pines planted in 1812. Prosser Pines is a popular site for hikers and photographers and also provides a tranquil setting for outdoor weddings.

Activities:
Hiking, bridle paths, 6 miles of mountain biking trails.

Fully equipped activity building available for use by campers and non-profit groups.

Ten sites electric hookups

Please use the Suffolk County ONLINE reservation system:

Cedar Point

his 607 acre Cedar Point, with commanding views of Gardiner's Bay, offers individual and organized group camping areas. Picnic areas, boat rentals, nature trails, vehicular access to the outer beach (with permit only), licensed hunting for waterfowl (in season), surfcasting for bass and bluefish. The Cedar Point General Store and Snack Bar, operated by Kaelins offers Saturday night family movies on the lawn behind the store and free use of recreational equipment. Settled in 1651, Cedar Point was once a busy port for shipping farm goods, fish, and timber from Sag Harbor. The historic Cedar Point Lighthouse stood on an island 200 yards from shore when it was built in 1860. Its beacon served to guide whaling ships in and out of Sag Harbor during its hey-day as a major port. The hurricane of 1938 transformed the shoreline, shifting sands to create a narrow, walkable strip that now connects the lighthouse with the mainland.

Activites:
Fishing, hiking, picnicking, camping, playground, rowboat rentals, bicycling, saltwater fishing, scuba diving, hunting, outer beach access. General Store and Snack Bar (631) 324-7147.

Directions:
Montauk Highway east to Stephen Hands Path in East Hampton. Turn north and continue to Old North West Road. Bear left and continue to Alewive Brook Road. The park entrance is nearly 100 yards down the road.

There are 190 general campsites for tents and trailers with full sanitary facilities (showers). Youth group and club camping areas available by permit only

631-852-7620

Meschutt Beach County Park

Swimming, camping, playground, picnicking, food concession with dining area, restrooms, showers, & special events in season.
Meschutt Beach County Park, a still-water, supervised bathing beach is located on Great Peconic Bay, on the East side of the Shinnecock Canal. Limited camping for self-contained trailers and campers is available as well as showers, restrooms, and a food concession. A windsurfing and sailing area is also available.

MESCHUTT BEACH
Lifeguard Protected

PARKING FEE: Charged 8:30am-4:00pm (Seven days per week)-(Subject to Change)
June 11-September 5

Daily Resident Parking (Green Key Holders)
Sr. Cit./Handicap/Volunteer w/Green Key (Mon.-Fri. Except Holidays.) FREE
Tourist Parking (Non Green Key Holders)

Directions: Take Sunrise Highway to exit 66 (first exit on East side of the Shinnecock Canal.) At stop sign, proceed straight through intersection. Make a right hand turn at stop sign, and then take your first left. Park entrance will be on your right.

631-852-8205

Cupsogue

This 296 acre barrier beach park offers lifeguard-supervised swimming, sun-bathing on white sand beaches and some of the finest saltwater bass fishing to be had on the Island. A food concession, restrooms, first aid center, showers and changing rooms are all conveniently situated at Cupsogue's pavilion. Campers and recreational vehicles are permitted along the access road running parallel to the outer beach. Diving is permitted at slack tide on the bay side of the park only. Water depth is approximately 12'.

Lifeguard Protected

631-852-8111

Directions: Take Sunrise Highway (SR 27) to exit 63 South. Follow Old Country Road (CR 31) South, across Montauk Highway (27A), through the Village of Westhampton. Continue South across the Jessup Lane bridge to Dune Road. Turn right onto Dune Road and head west to park entrance.

** RESERVATIONS CAN NOT BE MADE AT CUPSOGUE

Indian Island County Park

This 275 acre Indian Island County Park, at the estuarine mouth of the Peconic River, is open to the public year-round for a variety of activities. Camping is immensely popular at Indian Island, with trailer and tent campsites open to organized groups, individuals and camping clubs. Restrooms and shower facilities are available for the comfort of all campers. What was formerly the ' island' at Indian Island County Park is now connected to the mainland by a causeway composed entirely of white sands. Remote, yet easily accessible to all, this ' island', complete with picnic tables, grills, comfortable benches and views of a glistening and peaceful Flanders Bay, offers one of the finest picnicking sites available in Suffolk County.

631-852-3232

Activities:
Hiking, camping, fishing, playfield, dog park

Directions: LIE exit 71; Right turn onto Route 24 at end of exit ramp; Follow Route 24 south through the Riverhead Traffic Circle; Continue on Route 24 and make a left turn at the next traffic light onto Route 105; Follow 105 to entrance on right.

Remember to use the Suffolk County ONLINE Reservation System:

Montauk Highway, Montauk (631) 852-7878
Camping: (631) 852-7879
BEACH HOTLINE: (631) 244-7275 (option #1)

THEODORE ROOSEVELT COUNTY PARK

Comprised of 1185 acres, offers hiking along the Paumanok Path (a self-guided nature trail brochure available), camping, picnicking, saltwater fishing, canoeing, biking, hunting, a horseback riding facility, 3.5 miles of nature trails, outer beach access and surfcasting. It is also the site of the historic Third House, later used by Teddy Roosevelt after the Spanish American War, which now hosts a Spanish American War Exhibit and Gift Shop that is open from May-October, Wednesday to Sunday, 10am-5pm.

Directions: Follow Montauk Highway East through Montauk Village. Continue on Montauk Highway past East Lake Drive. Park sign and entrance is on North side of Montauk Highway.

** RESERVATIONS CAN NOT BE MADE AT THIS PARK

Southaven County Park

Victory Avenue, Brookhaven
Park Office: (631) 854-1414

Hiking, camping, picnicking, freshwater fishing, rowboat rentals, canoeing, hunting, the LI Steamers, and bridle paths.

The Carmans River flows through this scenic, pine-oak forested park. Southaven is a popular picnicking site, containing group areas capable of accommodating up to 1,000 people. Southaven's 1,356 acres also offer a bicycle hostel. Boating and freshwater fishing are permitted. Camping is also available, with sites for tents and trailers.

Directions: Entrance to the park is via the north side access road of Sunrise Highway (just west of William Floyd Parkway)

Smith Point

Smith Point, on the Fire Island barrier beach, is a haven for sportsmen, surfers and beach lovers. An extremely popular facility, the parks' white sands, rolling Atlantic surf and adjoining camping facility attract Suffolk County residents and tourists each summer season. Reservations are required for all the sites in the campground. All sites have water, and many have electric hookups and sewers. (Outer beach camping - first come, first served basis.) A nationally recognized team of lifeguards makes Smith Point its home base, providing ocean visitors with an extra-special safety feature. Off-road vehicles, with permit only, may drive on the western portion of the outer beach. All beach-goers are advised to respect the marked, protective fencing around the nest sites of endangered shorebirds inhabiting the ocean and bay beaches. Special events are scheduled throughout the summer months at Smith Point County Park.

SMITH POINT BEACH (Green Key Required)
Lifeguard Protected May 29-September 12 (Seven Days Per Week)
PARKING FEES: Charged from May 28-September 11 (7am-5pm seven days per week)
Daily Resident Parking (Green Key Holders) $ 5.00
Res. Sr. Citizen/Vol. (Mon.-Fri except Holidays) FREE
Resident Handicapped (Daily) FREE
Tourist Parking (Non Green Key Holders) 10.00
Resident Seasonal Parking Pass - Unlimited Use 50.00

Direction: 495 to exit 68 William Floyd Parkway South.
Go all the way to end

To make camping reservation for Suffolk County Parks with your valid Green Key, call 631-244-7275
Camping Reservations:
(631) 244-7275
BEACH HOTLINE:
(631) 244-7275 (option #1)
Smith Point Beach Hut:
(631) 281-7788

Shinnecock

Outer Beach Camping for Self-contained vehicles only, saltwater fishing, and Off-Road Recreational Vehicle Use.

Flanking the eastern border of the Shinnecock Inlet where it meets the Atlantic Ocean, this rugged, undeveloped barrier beach park includes both ocean and bay beach recreation areas. Shinnecock is a favorite spot for striped bass fishing. Off-road recreational vehicles may drive on the outer (ocean) beach. 100 campsites on the outer beach are available to self-contained campers with a valid Suffolk County Parks Green Key Card. No tent camping is permitted. A small parking lot is available for green key card holders who do not have an Outer Beach Recreational Vehicle Permit. Vehicles with Suffolk County Parks Outer Beach Recreational Vehicle Permit must park on the beach.

Directions: Sunrise Highway to Montauk Highway. South on Halsey Neck Lane to Dune Road. Make a right turn onto Dune Road and head west to the park entrance.

** RESERVATIONS CAN NOT BE MADE AT THIS PARK

Please use this link to check
http://www.lishore.o...cock/latest.htm

631-853-8899

Sears Bellows

Nestled within the Long Island Pine Barrens, Sears Bellows offers a broad range of recreational opportunities to Suffolk County residents and tourists. Campsites for both tents and trailers are available. Lifeguard-protected swimming and rowboat rentals are offered on freshwater Bellows Pond. Sears Bellows' extensive trail system attracts hikers and horseback riders from all points, east and west. Riders may use the park with a horseback riding permit. This park is closed to certain activities during waterfowl hunting season. Sears Bellows Park is a sportsman's paradise. Freshwater fishing for bluegill, bass, perch and pickerel, with bait, is permitted between sunrise and sunset. New York State regulations apply to all sporting activities.

SEARS BELLOWS BEACH
Lifeguard Protected June 11 to September 5 (Seven days per week)
PARKING FEES: Charged DAILY from June 11 to September 5 (8:30 a.m.-4:00p.m.
Daily Resident Parking (Green Key Holders) $ 3.00
Sr. Citizen/Handicapped/Vol. (Mon.-Fri., Except Holidays) FREE
Tourist (Non Green Key Holders) $ 8.00

ROWBOAT RENTALS

Directions:
Sunrise Highway Exit 65 North
Make Left on Bellows Pond Road
Entrance on right
631-852-9290

Park Facilities:
Hiking, camping, picnicking, lifeguard protected swimming, freshwater fishing, rowboat rentals, hunting, bridle paths. Home of the Big Duck

Use Suffolk County Online Registration (SC residents only):
[GREEN KEY REQUIRED]

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 983 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:15 PM

One of my favorite places in montauk. A few buddies and I used to go every year. Definitely a good recommendation beautiful place!

#3 NYDeer

NYDeer

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationSecret Underground Bunker

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:19 PM

A co-worker goes every year in the fall to camp & fish there.. Never been myself though..

#4 SRT8

SRT8

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationHauppauge

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:23 PM

One of my favorite places in montauk. A few buddies and I used to go every year. Definitely a good recommendation beautiful place!

+1 - love Montauk!  Haven't been there in a while, but I practically grew up out there as a kid...

Also take a look at Letchworth State Park up in the Genesee valley.  A bit of a drive, but absolutely gorgeous - especially in the fall.  Kind of like a mini-grand canyon right here in NY.  You can also rent cabins complete with wood burning stoves (BYOW).

#5 Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 983 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:30 PM

+1 - love Montauk!  Haven't been there in a while, but I practically grew up out there as a kid...

Also take a look at Letchworth State Park up in the Genesee valley.  A bit of a drive, but absolutely gorgeous - especially in the fall.  Kind of like a mini-grand canyon right here in NY.  You can also rent cabins complete with wood burning stoves (BYOW).

Nice will definitely look into it thanks. My girl has been breaking my chops to go away will consider it.

On another note sorry to jack ur head but has anyone heard of an area here in ny called the thousand islands (not dressing)?

#6 Myrcinus

Myrcinus

AMF YOYO

• Established Member
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationExit 53

Posted August 02 2012 - 05:45 PM

On another note sorry to jack ur head but has anyone heard of an area here in ny called the thousand islands (not dressing)?

http://www.visit1000...om/visitorinfo/

Beautiful, peaceful, not too far. What more could you want?

Word of advice: Stay off the rental jet skis. You may know what you are doing, but they will rent those things to any knucklehead with a credit card and the middle of a lake is a bad place to get hit by Joey Bagadonuts because he's a butt-munch that thought he could drive one.

#7 2edgesword

2edgesword

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 5,934 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 10:10 PM

Love Montauk and it's a beautiul beach but not having WES on site puts it behind Wildwild IMHO.

#8 Gun Smoke

Gun Smoke

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 983 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 10:18 PM

http://www.visit1000...om/visitorinfo/

Beautiful, peaceful, not too far. What more could you want?

Word of advice: Stay off the rental jet skis. You may know what you are doing, but they will rent those things to any knucklehead with a credit card and the middle of a lake is a bad place to get hit by Joey Bagadonuts because he's a butt-munch that thought he could drive one.

Awesome thanks so much!

#9 Peconic Paladin

Peconic Paladin

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,778 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 11:38 PM

I'm a big fan of that place. Live near there, but also camped there too when I was little.

Funny thing, even though I've read the name of that park hundreds of times, when I saw this thread title, I thought it said, "Hitler Hills."

Must be the font and the late hour.

#10 lord helmet

lord helmet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 11:48 PM

I have the state 4x4 fishing permit and it pays for itself in Montauk alone. The North side is great during the fall run to catch some stripers with anything in yellow, or black super strikes.

#11 Dan 0351

Dan 0351

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 7,805 posts

Posted August 02 2012 - 11:56 PM

Hither Hills is beautiful and close, but if I have the time I like mountains and deep woods when camping.

#12 anygunwilldoifuwilldo

anygunwilldoifuwilldo

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted August 03 2012 - 03:37 AM

Nice will definitely look into it thanks. My girl has been breaking my chops to go away will consider it.

Awesome up there- plenty to do w/SO or family. St.Lawrence river is cleam & clear(you can see the bottom). Canadian side has small towns like Brockville(quaint) or American side Alexandria BAY. I've stayed in both - had fun either way. You can actually camp or rent cottages on some of the many (1000 islands) private or state owned islands. Go you'll have a blast either way!

#13 pact40

pact40

Respected Gunowner

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 153 posts
  • LocationThis libral sinkhole called Screw York

Posted August 03 2012 - 05:27 AM

Do you need reservations in the fall during the bass run?  What type of hook ups do they have?

#14 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 05:51 AM

I hear the ticks are pretty bad this year.

#15 robotussin

robotussin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 312 posts

Posted August 03 2012 - 07:07 AM

just got back from a week at hither hills.  i have been going there pretty much every year for the last 30+.

no hookups at the campsite (i'm a tenter)
ticks weren't that bad this year.
reservations during peak season must be made 9 months in advance (the whole week usually sells out in under 2 minutes).
obviously the salt water fishing is awesome, but there is also some REALLY good freshwater fishing (PM me and i will tell you more, i don't want to go advertising the spot)
GREAT place for kids
bathrooms with hot showers every 1/6 mile or so throughout campsite
when public school is in session you can USUALLY drive out there and get a site.  if someone doesn't show for their reservation or if someone checks out early you can grab a site (don't bother trying this during peak season)
best sites begin with the letter F, worst sites begin with A (although i think they may have gotten rid of those sites)

#16 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 23 2012 - 12:07 PM

Richly forested hills and valleys at the headwaters of the Nissequogue River, rowing and fishing on lovely Stump Pond, casual strolls through an historic district featuring a grist mill... These are but a few of the attractions of Blydenburgh County Park. This 627 acre park is open year-round to Suffolk County residents and their guests. Horseback riders may ride or trailer their mounts to Blydenburgh to utilize an extensive bridle path system and practice ring.

Trailer parking is available at the northern (New Mill Road) entrance. Suffolk County horseback riding permits are required and must be visibly displayed by all riders. Freshwater fishing for pumpkinseed sunfish, large-mouth bass, perch and bluegill is permitted at Stump Pond between sunrise and sunset. New York State freshwater fishing laws apply. Rowboat rentals are generally available from mid-May to Labor Day.

Use the southern (Veteran's Memorial Hwy) entrance for these activities. Hikes through Blydenburgh are led on a regular basis by the Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference, whose headquarters are located in one of the historic district houses. For a hike schedule, contact the Greenbelt office at (631)-360-0753.

Directions: Enter park from the north side of Veteran's Memorial Highway, opposite the H. Lee Dennison Building

Please use the online system to reserve:

#17 Piper

Piper

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,491 posts

Posted July 23 2012 - 05:29 PM

Blydenburgh is closed to camping due to West Nile.
http://kingspark.pat...rgh-county-park

#18 The Architect

The Architect

The Sysop

• Administrators
  • 36,800 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 23 2012 - 12:01 PM

Facilities include campsites for youth group camping and club camping (10 or more units) and family camping, including 10 sites with water and electric hookups. Picnic sites and an activity hall, the George Broome Memorial Activity Building are also available. The building was dedicated to honor the memory George Broome, founder of the Suffolk Committee for Camping.

Adjacent to Cathedral Pines Park is Prosser Pines Nature Preserve, which features a majestic stand of white pines planted in 1812. Prosser Pines is a popular site for hikers and photographers and also provides a tranquil setting for outdoor weddings.

Activities:
Hiking, bridle paths, 6 miles of mountain biking trails.

Fully equipped activity building available for use by campers and non-profit groups.

Ten sites electric hookups

#19 Arisaka_99

Arisaka_99

-1 Arisaka Type 99

• Established Member
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationLindenhurst

Posted July 23 2012 - 01:25 PM

Many a camp-out here.  Beautiful place and great trails.  I've hiked them and a lot of people bike them.  Nice place.

#20 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted July 23 2012 - 01:56 PM

My son's BSA troop usually camps there once a year.  I've gone as an assistant scout master twice.  The bike trails are well laid out & are one way only to avoid collisions.  Nice place & not too far from the range!

Sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users