Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Sloan SA - Pride of Spain 12 guage - Anybody?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PandM

PandM

Decidedly Untactical

• Club LIF Member
  • 7,586 posts
  • LocationRight here

Posted March 04 2011 - 07:17 AM

Looking at a used double barrel. Marked "Sloan SA Pride of Spain"
Internet yeilds little info.
Have read what I could find. Most put it in the "POS" category, or low end at best
I believe these were imported by Modell, then Charles Daly as an inexpensive piece.
Appears to be in nice shape, given the age.
Nothing too special about it, but the price may be right.
Hate to get stuck with cordwood and scrap metal, but I'm a sucker for a deal, you know.......
Anyone have experience or knowledge of these?
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

#2 Johnc

Johnc

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: , ,
  • 3,908 posts

Posted March 04 2011 - 07:41 AM

Some info out there, you may have seen it already.

http://www.shotgunwo...ic.php?f=6&t=12

Q I have a double barrel,10 gauge shotgun with the following markings. Any help would be great. POS Pride of Spain on the barrel. Sloan's SG Co. New York, NY.

A This article about the history of Charles Daly may provide some clues. ...just a guess.
"Schoverling, Daly and Gales changed ownership several times throughout the years. Eventually, the company's primary asset was the Charles Daly trademark. In 1919 Henry Modell bought the company and controlled it for several years. In the 1920's, he sold out to the Walzer family, owners of Sloan's Sporting Goods of Ridgefield, Connecticut. The Walzer's established a branch of Sloan's in New York known as Charles Daly & Company. Sloan's imported quality shotguns from many companies, including Italian gun makers Beretta and Vincenzo Bernardelli, Miroku of Japan and Garbi of Spain.

In 1976, Sloan's sold the Daly division to Outdoor Sports Headquarter's, Inc., a sporting goods wholesaler located in Dayton, Ohio. OSHI continued the importation of high grade Daly Shotguns, primarily form Italy and Spain, and expanded the brand to include black powder firearms, riflescopes and binoculars, ammunition, clothing, boots, shooting glasses, handgun grips and knives. By the mid-1980's, the Charles Daly brand was transformed into a broad consumer line of excellent firearms and hunting accessories.

Read more: http://www.shotgunwo...2#ixzz1FdMYUS4h

imported in the 70s by Sloan Sporting Goods in NY, Worth $50 to $150, depending on gauge and condition.

Look at the water table and under the chambers, your shotgun is probably stamped H over a Z in an oval with a crown above. If yes, it was manufactured by ZAMACOLA HERMANOS (RIP) previously located in EIBAR.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....s#ixzz1FdLxxYQf

This is a multi thread response.  It does not speak well of Sloan.

http://www.shotgunwo...ic.php?p=399871
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.  Join us at http://www.liffreedomfund.org/

#3 PandM

PandM

Decidedly Untactical

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 7,586 posts
  • LocationRight here

Posted March 04 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks John.
I found a bunch of articles but not that one.
Good info.
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

#4 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,751 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted March 07 2011 - 07:06 AM

Joe, Run for the Hills and don't look back. Spanish shotguns fall into only 2 categories ... great, and not usable at all.

Ugartecha, AyA, and Grulla fall into the category of great. Made in the Eibar region of Spain, in the tradition of lightweight English Game Guns. I could easily compare these works of art to the best from William Evans, James Purdy, and Boss. But with most of the hard work being done by CNC machinery, and only the final fitting done by hand, are available at a fraction of the price of London's Best. Engraving and stock work is still all done by hand.

Guns like the Riviera, and the "Pride of Spain" fall into the other category. Did you ever notice someone on the skeet or Clays course who can't get the gun to open after 25 rounds? Chances are, it's a cheap Spanish gun. Ever see a double gun fire both barrels at once? Chances are, it's a cheap Spanish gun. I could go on and on.
My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#5 PandM

PandM

Decidedly Untactical

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 7,586 posts
  • LocationRight here

Posted March 07 2011 - 07:13 AM

T.Webb said:

Joe, Run for the Hills and don't look back. Spanish shotguns fall into only 2 categories ... great, and not usable at all.

Running at full gallop.
The last thing I need is a junker taking up space.
Thanks

H.L. Mencken

#6 Captain Will

Captain Will

Gun Guru

• 16,074 posts

Posted March 07 2011 - 07:44 AM

Whoa- since when are Charles Daly considered "excellent firearms" - or have they slid down the entire continuum to the bottom from some pinnacle of greatness from which I was previously unaware? Or is the criteria here pull trigger, goes bang="excellent"?

In my book, a CD will stop a guy crawling in your bedroom window but probably not the gun you want in an end-of-the-world or survival scenario where you might need an accurate, reliable firearm.
“I think you have a perfect right to buy weapons and keep them for protection or for sport....You can read it to say they only talked about militias pr you can read it to say they wanted guns in your pocket. I don’t know, that’s up to you.”  -  Mayor Michael Bloomberg

#7 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• 11,751 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted March 07 2011 - 08:22 AM

Will, I'm not sure how this thread on cheap Spanish guns took your Charles Daly turn. Probably because of 1 obscure reference somewhere above. But, I feel it necessary to school you on Mr. Daly.

Charles Daly never existed. It was a fabricated name for the Sporting Goods store Schoverling, Daly, and Gales, located more than a Century ago in Lower Manhattan. The first Charles Daly shotguns were built by Harold Lindner in the German gunmaking Province of Suhl. Lindner-Daly's as well as Lindner guns are considered to be among the best boxlock guns ever built. And some ... me included, believe the higher end examples were built better than any "London Best". I currently own a mid-grade 6 pound 12 gauge "Featherweight" with 2 1/2 inch chambers and 28 inch barrels. Later, Charles Daly guns were built by Kettner, and J.P. Sauer also from Suhl. After the store closed, the Charles Daly name was sold and guns were built by Beretta, Perazzi, and then Miroku in Japan. These were all good to great Charles Daly guns.

It's only in recent years that the Charles Daly name has been connected to inexpensive Turkish imports.

Take a look at these 3 ...
My mind is like a steel trap ... Rusty and Illegal in 34 states.

We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

May God Bless the USA, and our troops!

#8 PandM

PandM

Decidedly Untactical

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 7,586 posts
  • LocationRight here

Posted March 07 2011 - 08:25 AM

Peter.
In my limited experience I have come to trust your knowledge on two points without question.
Shotguns and stuffed peppers.

H.L. Mencken

#9 Captain Will

Captain Will

Gun Guru

• 16,074 posts

Posted March 07 2011 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the history lesson TWebb, apparently the answer to my question is YES, the CD brand was once "excellent firearms" (those are beautiful shotguns).

As compared to what we see today in gun stores:
http://www.gunbroker...?Item=218533762

The reason I brought up Daly is that the post several above this contains a whole history of department store brands- generally from what I've seen the Sears,Woolworth etc. guns don't fit the "excellent firearms" category.
“I think you have a perfect right to buy weapons and keep them for protection or for sport....You can read it to say they only talked about militias pr you can read it to say they wanted guns in your pocket. I don’t know, that’s up to you.”  -  Mayor Michael Bloomberg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users