Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

World Of Tanks - Any gamers here? For FREE

• Please log in to reply
739 replies to this topic

#1 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:12 AM

World Of Tanks is a highly addicting and fun FREE online game (you can also buy into the system for premium stuff) that I started playing a couple of weeks ago. It is a blast and you are playing against people from around the world. You essentially start at thebottom with a basic tank and earn your way up to various improvements base on real world tanks for the most part. Highly recommended especially since it is free. You just need an email account, a decent PC (a $2000 gaming computer is not needed) and a reasonable internet connection.
There are no illegal guns - just undocumented guns.
It's not about gun control .......it's about total control. We are not subjects - we are citizens!  >:(
Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

http://www.votesmart.org - Look up elected officials 8)

John Galt was right!

#2 bruzz123

bruzz123

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 1,494 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:14 AM

link please.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”   - Sigmund Freud

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

“What is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” – George Mason, principle author of the Bill of Rights

#3 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:23 AM

http://worldoftanks.com/about.html
It's not about gun control .......it's about total control. We are not subjects - we are citizens!  >:(
Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

John Galt was right!

#4 bruzz123

bruzz123

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 1,494 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:29 AM

i thank you.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”   - Sigmund Freud

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

“What is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” – George Mason, principle author of the Bill of Rights

#5 BadKarma

BadKarma

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 794 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:36 AM

I played it when it first came out but became pretty frustrated with it.  Matchmaking was terrible and there was no way to play with friends without paying.  They are releasing an airplane one pretty soon though which I am excited about.  
-Brian

#6 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 09:47 AM

BadKarma said:

I played it when it first came out but became pretty frustrated with it.  Matchmaking was terrible and there was no way to play with friends without paying.  They are releasing an airplane one pretty soon though which I am excited about.  

I also heard of a battleship version in the works. The matchmaking (I am told) has been improved but it is always being a challenge being on the bottom of the food chain - all the more incentive to work you way up to better equipment and tactics. At this point I can't get enough of it. As soon as you move up a couple of tiers you find a lot more maps appearing now.

John Galt was right!

#7 SteveOO

SteveOO

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 244 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'll give it a shot later today when work slows down. Tanks go BOOM!

#8 BadKarma

BadKarma

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 794 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:15 AM

PeepSight said:

I also heard of a battleship version in the works. The matchmaking (I am told) has been improved but it is always being a challenge being on the bottom of the food chain - all the more incentive to work you way up to better equipment and tactics. At this point I can't get enough of it. As soon as you move up a couple of tiers you find a lot more maps appearing now.

I haven't played for a good while but every time I would grind out a new tank I would just be placed in the bottom of the next tier!  I got up to the m3lee and pnzr IV but would then be put up against tigers and kv's and is-3's. Im going to re-download it and give it a try and see if it's any better.  
-Brian

#9 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:16 AM

SteveOO said:

I'll give it a shot later today when work slows down. Tanks go BOOM!

Just be patient and keep in mind that you are just grease for the wheels when you start out until you can make upgrades to you tank. Just surviving a game is a big deal. Learn how to hide first and your role in each tank for the team's success. Read this for invaluable tips.....

http://www.worldoftanksguide.com/

John Galt was right!

#10 valkyrae

valkyrae

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 556 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:28 AM

My tag name is valkyrae on world of tanks.  

#11 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:34 AM

valkyrae said:

My tag name is valkyrae on world of tanks.  

Can you change your name if you wanted to?

John Galt was right!

#12 MolonLabe64

MolonLabe64

Gun Guru

• 588 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 10:56 AM

BTW Red Orchestra 2 comes out tomorrow. Stalingrad awaits in up to 64 player combat. The game is shaping up to be one of the most realistic shooters ever.

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

#13 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:01 PM

MolonLabe64 said:

BTW Red Orchestra 2 comes out tomorrow. Stalingrad awaits in up to 64 player combat. The game is shaping up to be one of the most realistic shooters ever.

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/

Is it Free Play?

John Galt was right!

#14 micron26

micron26

Accurizer

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 821 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:06 PM

PeepSight said:

Can you change your name if you wanted to?

Yes. In fact they force you to if you choose something that even hints of impropriety. Just send them a ticket on the website and they will change it.

I played it quite a bit 5-6 months go, enough to get a top tier medium tank (E-50, formerly the Panther II), SPG (GW type E) and tank destroyer (Jagdtiger). I'm presently working my way up one of the German heavy tank tiers--I'm on the Tiger II. It takes a lot longer if you don't pay up. I have paid about $50 (about the cost of a good video game these days) to get a premium account and free up some XP.

The matchmaking has improved a lot. The mechanics have always been excellent. As a WW2 sim, it's incredibly unrealistic, with no infantry, artillery, other vehicles or aircraft, and a lot of tanks that only existed as prototypes or drawings. But it is a lot of fun. Driving a Jagdtiger is pretty cool. Lining up a M4 Sherman or T-34 and one-shotting them is even cooler  ;)

Look for me online: "Deranger"
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin

#15 MolonLabe64

MolonLabe64

Gun Guru

• 588 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:11 PM

PeepSight said:

Is it Free Play?

No monthly charge but there is an initial purchase price.

#16 SteveOO

SteveOO

Respected Gunowner

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 244 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:12 PM

Just watched the Red Orchestra 2 videos on steam that looks like a lot of fun I might have to order it later.

#17 TactiDork

TactiDork

Gun Guru

• 830 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'll give it a shot. Been a little busy with Dead Island though..
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a mederate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independence to the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, 1785 August 19

#18 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 11,510 posts

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:27 PM

micron26 said:

Yes. In fact they force you to if you choose something that even hints of impropriety. Just send them a ticket on the website and they will change it.

I played it quite a bit 5-6 months go, enough to get a top tier medium tank (E-50, formerly the Panther II), SPG (GW type E) and tank destroyer (Jagdtiger). I'm presently working my way up one of the German heavy tank tiers--I'm on the Tiger II. It takes a lot longer if you don't pay up. I have paid about $50 (about the cost of a good video game these days) to get a premium account and free up some XP.

The matchmaking has improved a lot. The mechanics have always been excellent. As a WW2 sim, it's incredibly unrealistic, with no infantry, artillery, other vehicles or aircraft, and a lot of tanks that only existed as prototypes or drawings. But it is a lot of fun. Driving a Jagdtiger is pretty cool. Lining up a M4 Sherman or T-34 and one-shotting them is even cooler  ;)

Look for me online: "Deranger"

What is the exact point you need to hit a medium / heavy tank to de-track it? Does it need to be a frontal or side shot?

John Galt was right!

#19 micron26

micron26

Accurizer

• Donated Member
  • Others: ,
  • 821 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted September 12 2011 - 12:56 PM

PeepSight said:

What is the exact point you need to hit a medium / heavy tank to de-track it? Does it need to be a frontal or side shot?

Definitely easier as a side shot, particularly if you can hit the drive wheels or the road wheels. You can also hit the track from the front and get a nearly 100% chance of de-tracking, but there's less real estate there and you need a gun with high accuracy to make the shot. And if you're driving something small and light or underpowered, by the time you get a frontal shot lined up you'll probably be toast.

Better to attack from the sides and rear. As much as I love the brute force of the Jagdtiger or Tiger II, either can easily be defeated if it gets de-tracked and/or outflanked by a fast medium tank that can penetrate its rear armor. TDs are sitting ducks once they lose their tracks. I always carry the cheapo repair kit just to avoid a single lucky track shot ending my game prematurely.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin

#20 Digman81

Digman81

Sharp Shooter!

• 482 posts
  • LocationSouth Setauket

Posted September 12 2011 - 01:17 PM

I will give a try after work today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users