Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What is the Warmest hunting boot?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 foxfire

foxfire

Puppy Training

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:52 PM

I went up a 1/2 size, they fit slightly loose with a heavy merino sock. I bought and extra pair of liners in case the liners get wet or sweat.

This getting old stuff sucks. I remember shoveling in sneakers with no gloves. Now I want the warmest gloves, hat and boots I can find.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted January 12 2011 - 03:00 PM

100%!
Dry socks!

When I was in the service, we did a lot of cold weather training. The biggest problems in keeping feet warm is moisture or sweat. It DOES NOT matter how warm your boots are if your feet are wet.

The biggest thing you could do to keep your feet warm is to change your socks. We would carry two pairs of socks with us, alternating them though-out the day. We were taught to use saftey pins to pin our socks to our t-shirt...your body warmth would dry the socks for the next change.

#23 Colt 700

Colt 700

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 1,030 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 03:08 PM

I sat in an open treee stand in Saskatchewan, Canada without boots and was warm. Try this, get the over boots that woul fit your size of boots, buy an extra set of boot liners one size parger than you normal size, drop some hand or toe warmers in there and you will be quite toasty all day. This system worked down to -50F with stiff wind. As the hand warmers cooled off, just drop some more in there and you are good to go.

Northern Outfitters makes great boots also.

#24 Flagg888

Flagg888

Gun Guru

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 1,123 posts
  • LocationEast Northport

Posted January 12 2011 - 03:47 PM

A couple of guys have already said Sorel.
I agree 1000%.  I have the Sorel Caribous and they are the warmest driest boots I have ever owned.

• CAP1974 likes this

#25 Sig

Sig

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Donated Member
  • 2,157 posts
  • LocationWrong Island

Posted January 12 2011 - 05:27 PM

Cabela's pac boots.  Heavy, but real warm.  Price wasn't bad either.

Sig

#26 foxfire

foxfire

Puppy Training

• Established Member
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 23 2011 - 06:45 PM

Like I said before I went with the Schnees pac boot. Posted Image
I went Sea duck hunting Saturday. Temps in the morning was single digits and teens as the sun came up. We were sitting in a floating blind on the water. This proved to be a real test for the boots.
It was really cold, my body, hands, face and head were fine. Now the boots, I wore a single pair of 100% Merino socks. I was fine for the first 2 or 3 hours. Then the toes started to get cold. When I was able to get up and move around a little my feet warmed up. But all in all my feet were ok but not quite what I was looking for.
I've been told I should wear a thin pair of polypropelene liner socks and all would have been fine. Well I'll try that next, I ordered a couple of pair of them. There's only a few weekends of duck and goose hunting left but I should get one maybe two more in. This time with the liner socks.

#27 PaulyFu223

PaulyFu223

Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy

• Established Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationNassau

Posted January 23 2011 - 07:19 PM

Surplus Mickey Mouse boots, the white ones. Check ebay. I see guys working deck on codfish boats with them, but in general, no one walks in them. I paid around $20 shipped on Ebay DURING THE SUMMER...lol. My wife threw them out of course since she said that she never wanted anyone to see me wearing them.

http://www.armysurpl...-valve-4030.cfm

You can get booties that slip over your regular boots too. That would be my 2nd choice.

+1 The "Alaska Project" tv show outfitted the participants with surplus Mickey boots as per the reccomendation of Alaskan outdoor experts.

#28 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,172 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 07:40 PM

When I was in the service, we did a lot of cold weather training. The biggest problems in keeping feet warm is moisture or sweat. It DOES NOT matter how warm your boots are if your feet are wet.

This might sound silly, but since sweat is always an issue, has anyone tried putting some antiperspirant on their feet to help keep them dry? I mean, it works for the armpits, right?

#29 ndtyank49

ndtyank49

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 547 posts
  • LocationEast Meadow

Posted January 23 2011 - 08:43 PM

When i go duck hunting i wear waiters with 600 grams of thinsulate, liners, and 2 pairs of wool socks.

#30 CommackBoy

CommackBoy

Banned

• Banned

• 7,713 posts
  • LocationCommack, NY

Posted January 23 2011 - 09:05 PM

http://www.endless.c...on winter boots

Salomon makes one of the best winter boots. Check them out on Endless.com Most of them are rated for -40 degrees C.

#31 the blur

the blur

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,788 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 09:08 PM

go to cabellas.com and read the reviews.  they seem honest and open, and cabellas doesn't remove poor reviews.  The Mendies got rave reviews.  another boot got poor reviews by everyone for rotting soles.

I went to cabellas in CT, and the selection is HUGH !!

#32 lonewolf5347

lonewolf5347

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 09:14 PM

not for walking
but keeping your feet warm my vote are for
Surplus Mickey Mouse boots

#33 Ransom

Ransom

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 6,245 posts
  • LocationCuomo's State

Posted January 23 2011 - 09:45 PM

guide gear made copies of  Mickey Mouse boots with 2000 grams thinsulate ther great. I have a pair and they are great but like some mentioned you need to change your socks even with the warmest boots or you feet will get cold. There so warm your feet sweat then they freeze.

#34 ligun

ligun

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 2,307 posts

Posted March 11 2011 - 10:54 PM

I was watching Flying Alaska on Discovery and they mentioned Bunny Boots
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Bunny_boots

#35 Ryan Rogen

Ryan Rogen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationottowa

Posted March 24 2017 - 07:10 AM

Danner is one of the best boots brand on the market . I have Danner Men's Tachyon . I strongly advice it . It is constructed out of waterproof full-grain leather and a 100% waterproof and breathable Gore-Tex liner that is designed to keep your feet dry and comfortable when the weather or environment is not. For comfort, these boots are equipped with an EVA midsole for cushioning and shock absorption qualities, which mean the boots take the abuse and not the person wearing them, plus they feature a polyurethane footbed that allows for adequate airflow

• boosti likes this

#36 hawkeye

hawkeye

Gunecologist

• Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 2,245 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 24 2017 - 08:24 AM

Best and warmest on the market. Only French product I own.
Full length zipper and completely waterproof.
Bought these 15 years ago at BSA (British Sporting Arms) on Route 44 in Millbrook, NY.
http://www.countryan...ip-wellingtons/

http://www.orvis.com...RYwxxoCH4jw_wcB

Edited by hawkeye, March 24 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#37 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,908 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted March 24 2017 - 11:12 AM

Just an FYI for those reading back on the older posts of this necro thread.

Sorel is no longer what it was.  They've moved production to China.  I won't touch their stuff anymore, but Kamik is still made in Canada.

I pair my boots with a pair of Carhartt Men's Arctic Wool Heavy Boot Socks.  Good socks make a big difference.

#38 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,951 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted March 24 2017 - 05:36 PM

I have three friend swaer Mucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users