Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

What is the Warmest hunting boot?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 foxfire

foxfire

Puppy Training

• Established Member
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 03 2011 - 09:47 AM

After spending a day in the duck blind it's time to up my hunting boots for something VERY VERY VERY warm.
I'm not talking about a walking boot or a light boot. It can weigh what ever it has  to as there's no walking in a duck blind or deer stand.
The only requirment is warmth in extreme cold temperatures.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 CJ

CJ

SUPER STAR

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 5,452 posts
  • LocationTampa/Nassau

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:07 AM

When I was in the service, we did a lot of cold weather training. The biggest problems in keeping feet warm is moisture or sweat. It DOES NOT matter how warm your boots are if your feet are wet.

The biggest thing you could do to keep your feet warm is to change your socks. We would carry two pairs of socks with us, alternating them though-out the day. We were taught to use saftey pins to pin our socks to our t-shirt...your body warmth would dry the socks for the next change.
  • rlitman likes this

#3 Parashooter

Parashooter

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 10,468 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:25 AM

If you check out the Boots thread in the hunting section there were several reccommendations...  Papabear suggested the Hermans Survivors from Wal-Mart.

I gave them a try, and they're good...  definitely warm enough... The important thing is as CJ said, keeping dry....  Avoid cotton, and I avoid polyester as they make my feet sweat...  a good pair of Wool socks will run you $10 or so.

Another thing to consider is how warm the rest of your body is...  If my body is warm enough I don't need gloves and my feet don't get cold.  when your core temperature drops your body shuts down blood flow to the extremities (fingers/toes first)

#4 hunter won

hunter won

Gun Guru

• Banned
  • 1,468 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:39 AM

Carry an extra set of light weight boots or sneakers,feet well sweat in insulated boots and change your socks along with any other damp clothing .If you hunt all day prepare a back pack with a blanket and water to keep hydrated.Polypropelene socks can keep your feet warm.Hunting Deer you need a good rubber boot so your scent isn't picked up walking to your stand.Danner or Irish Setter make good boots.

#5 DefMan

DefMan

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationElmont in Nassau County

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:44 AM

TSG Giant Timber boots. Keep me warn in the muzzleloading hunts upstate and wore them after the blizzard with jeans tucke din. Dry and warm. They were not meant to be in deep snow. I put them in snow to test them. They passed big time! I wore a pair of wool socks. It would help with a thin layer sock inside more though.

http://www.sportsman...b.aspx?a=552718

#6 foxfire

foxfire

Puppy Training

• Established Member
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:57 AM

I guess I should have qualified my question further. I was talking about literally standing still. (hence duck blind or tree stand) The question of sweat from walking or exertion is nil. You would be dressed appropriately so core temperature is not a part of this equation. I was wearing proper clothes, gloves, and hat. My core temp was fine. I was wearing Danner 800 gram thinsulate boots and my feet started to get cold around midday. There no place for movement in a duck blind to warm up.
I was looking for opinions on boots with 1600 to 2000 grams of thinsulate. Pacboots extreme weather boots. Unfortunately Hermans surviors or Danners don't fall into this catagory.

#7 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 11:07 AM

As was posted earlier, the biggest trick to keeping your feet warm is keeping them dry. Wicking socks (Polypropelene) next to your skin with an absorbent (Wool) outer layer and a Gore-Tex sock in between really helps with the moisture from your body, and a waterproof shell with insulation appropriate to the temp goes a long way towards keeping the outside moisture at bay. I've tried all kinds of boots, under all different conditions, and now use a leather pac boot w/ rubber covered lower for cold weather walking in upland conditions, and a swamp boot (insulated rubber boots with gaiter top) for everything else. As far as I'm concerned, they can call it waterproof, but when you are standing in water for a few hours, unless it's rubber, you are wet and cold. Other comments about keeping the rest of your body comfortable are dead-on as well, if your body is slowing down blood to your extremities, you are having a bad day. Don't forget a hat, and take it on/off as needed. You lose approx 40% of your body heat from your head. My 2 cents

#8 wreckhog

wreckhog

Banned

• Banned
  • 8,963 posts
  • LocationMcDonalds

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:13 PM

Surplus Mickey Mouse boots, the white ones. Check ebay. I see guys working deck on codfish boats with them, but in general, no one walks in them. I paid around $20 shipped on Ebay DURING THE SUMMER...lol. My wife threw them out of course since she said that she never wanted anyone to see me wearing them.

http://www.armysurpl...-valve-4030.cfm

You can get booties that slip over your regular boots too. That would be my 2nd choice.

#9 CHERRY911

CHERRY911

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 2,140 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 12:56 PM

I have a pair of North Face McMurdo boots.  Used them for a couple years with a  good pair of socks and they work great.

#10 Postal Bob

Postal Bob

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 02:46 PM

Cabelas Predator extreme

#11 vmtcmt

vmtcmt

Uh-oh...

• Established Member
  • 12,524 posts
  • LocationRychia

Posted January 03 2011 - 03:37 PM

These look pretty toasty for the price:

http://www.sportsman...ar.aspx?a=88570

2000g Thinsulate, claim -100 degree F, for $60

#12 seamaster

seamaster

Advanced Member

• Established Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 03:37 PM

Sorel 8)
  • smithwc6 and 38 sup like this

#13 blue05

blue05

Marksman

• Established Member
  • 96 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 04:11 PM

I have a pair of Sorel Extremes (12 years old) I wear them snowmobiling and have no complaints.  I have seen temperature as low as -41 F (that's minus 41 degree Fahrenheit) wearing these boots and they are great.  FYI don't forget the wool socks.
  • 38 sup likes this

#14 robotussin

robotussin

Sharp Shooter!

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 312 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 04:14 PM

another option might be to use 2 pairs of "toe warmers".  these things work pretty good, and in the low oxygen environment of your boots, they will last all day.  2 pairs might even be overkill, usually one piece placed on the top of each sock is more than enough for me.  they run about a buck a pair at any sporting goods store
  • 38 sup and LarryD23 like this

#15 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• Established Member
  • 12,115 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted January 03 2011 - 05:11 PM

These days, my idea of cold weather hunting involves temps in the mid-upper 30's. any colder and this rugged old bruiser prefers hunting the inside of my eyelids from my couch, next to the fire.

But, I've been out in negative zero temps for days at a time while elk and moose hunting. One time, I stepped onto a frozen pond, only to discover it wasn't frozen enough. and a good 6-7 miles from the house. 30 seconds after falling through, my foot was soaking wet and freezing cold. A minute later, I was soaking wet, and warm as toast. I was wearing a Cabelas McKinley boot with 1000 grams of Thinsulate insulation and a wool sock. Another great boot is the rubber and neoprene "Muck" brand boots. The 2 key accessories you need are a good wool sock, and room to breathe. a too-tight fitting boot will never allow your feet to warm up, no matter how well insulated. If you're out all day, bring spare socks and change them up a bit.

And don't ever buy a pair of boots in the morning. Buy them as late in the day as possible, after your feet have had time to swell up during the day, as all feet do.
  • 38 sup likes this

#16 NRATC53

NRATC53

Soon to be Ex NYer

• Donated Member
  • 20,835 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 05:30 PM

These days, my idea of cold weather hunting involves temps in the mid-upper 30's. any colder and this rugged old bruiser prefers hunting the inside of my eyelids from my couch, next to the fire.

But, I've been out in negative zero temps for days at a time while elk and moose hunting. One time, I stepped onto a frozen pond, only to discover it wasn't frozen enough. and a good 6-7 miles from the house. 30 seconds after falling through, my foot was soaking wet and freezing cold. A minute later, I was soaking wet, and warm as toast. I was wearing a Cabelas McKinley boot with 1000 grams of Thinsulate insulation and a wool sock. Another great boot is the rubber and neoprene "Muck" brand boots. The 2 key accessories you need are a good wool sock, and room to breathe. a too-tight fitting boot will never allow your feet to warm up, no matter how well insulated. If you're out all day, bring spare socks and change them up a bit.

And don't ever buy a pair of boots in the morning. Buy them as late in the day as possible, after your feet have had time to swell up during the day, as all feet do.

Wise words!

#17 LedMizer

LedMizer

Sharp Shooter!

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 309 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 06:24 PM

Cabelas Predator extreme

+1

I have neuropathy in both legs - my feet are cold in July.  I will be hunting this week with a pair of Cabelas Inferno 2,000 gram Pac Boots.  They ran about $100 and despite they're bulk they are the lightest and warmest boots I've ever owned.

Highly recommended.

#18 foxfire

foxfire

Puppy Training

• Established Member
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:31 PM

My decision based on recommendations and speaking to the factory was "Schnees Extreme Pacboots" http://www.schnees.c...lated-pac-boots

Today wasn't a real fair test as it really wasn't cold and I was active shoveling and walking behind the snow blower. The real test should be Saturday duck hunting. Sitting in a blind not moving and it will be a cold day.
But after wearing them all last night and again today they are showing real promise. Not to heavy, not to stiff and really warm.

#19 T.Webb

T.Webb

Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.

• Established Member
  • 12,115 posts
  • LocationS.W. Suffolk; Stephentown, NY

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:45 PM

Schnees are good boots. Made in Montana where they know something about cold feet.

As long as you're wearing a good wool sock, and your feet aren't cramped in the boots, you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, Cabelas makes an insulated overboot that you put on over your boots after you get to your stand.

#20 mickey b

mickey b

Marksman

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 59 posts
  • Locationwest babylon

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:49 PM

working gear has a boot made in sweden fo there armed forces sells 250.00 repels everything look into it  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users